Cleaning Chimney Stains

Kiwidad

Featured Posts

Can anyone suggest something I can use to clean the streaks left on my paintwork by the multistove fire.

I guess it is some form of coal tar? I only burn coal not wood.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kiwidad

Hmm - - -- tar stains are fairly aggressive aren't they (?)

I've used meths or surgical spirit to clean off the worst of them...persevere, and apply with a soft cloth, turning it frequently.

That should get most of it off

If not all is removed, you may need to resort to a very careful use of a fine cutting compound - - but do be careful - and use very little.

The very best thing to do, of course, is not get any tar stains down your paintwork - - and this will almost certainly require a double skinned chimney, made to fit your boat, it will be worth it!! - - There are several guys that make these - -- I've used a chap called Andy Smith, he made me a 30" double skinned in Stainless steel

Fabulous job! - Highly recommended

A few years ago I had an original AMG mercedes 190 in superb condition, a 20 yo car that looked new.

DSCF7820.jpg

When I first got it though it was quite tatty and it had been parked outside and little used. I got it up to spec tthough, front panel and seals were professionally resprayed.

Anyway A mate in the car cleaning business told me to use a product called Ultra glaze which I did about 15 quid for a small bottle, seemed expensive but amazingly you could do 2 cars with it.

It's applied the same as a wax, you have to leave it 15 to thirty minutes though then buff off the light smears. Gave a really nice shine too and when it rained the water would fall from paintwork leaving no beads at all. I keptt the car another 3 years and used a dry wash called spray and shine which is a brilliant waterless car cleaner. When i used to clean it stuff like tar bird sh1t would come off paintwork & glass effortlessly, I gave the car tto my broher a couple of years ago, he cleans it fairly regularily, but the car still looks really good and is still easy to clean.

On one of the vans below the diesel cap, diesel streaks leave black marks and they won' budge, I have some ultra glaze left over and treated the area being affected. Now there's hardly any marks and when there is they wipe off effortlessly. I'm applying the rest around my chimney and fuel inlets when we've finished painting.

Spottting this thread I popped on google and found the same stuff but advertised for boats. his would solve your problem, nothing sticks to it even grafffiti paint will wipe off.

You can do the entire boat with it if you want. Amazing stuff though I can highly recommend.

I should point out yo do need to T cut or clean paintwork before applying.

Edited by Julynian

Don't use a coolie hat on your chimney. The tar condenses on its underside & drips onto the roof. Even if you have an insulated double skinned chimney this will still cause staining. I know, I tried.

Since ditching the hat the problem has stopped.

Cover the chimney when the stove isn't in use. When it's lit it won't matter not having a hat on top, we have had no trouble in years without one.

That is a stunning car. Just lovelycheers.gif

It's still going strong. A Mercedes 190E AMG Sportline 2.6 straight 6 perol automatic. 166 BHP not really that powerful in todays world but it is now 21 years old. The mercedes 190 range is possibly one of the most reliable cars built in the last 50 years. I had a 2.0 petrol prior to this one owned it for 8 years, other than usual servicing the only thing that ever went wrong in all that time was the water pump. The cars body kit was fitted by mercedes, but not factory fitted, as the full deal with AMG had not been completed. I have the original bruchure for it too. The car cost £29,000 new and my brother is now the 5th owner.

I gave the car to my Dear now departed Dad, he ran it for another 4 years and it never broke down or needed new parts other than the norm, it had one tiny bit of rust on a rear back window panel other than that it was very clean and tidy car. Whilst parked someone scraped up the enytire n/s and it was writen off. Such a shame but just not economically viable to repair :(

You'll see many Mercedes 190's on the road today many well over 25 years old now, looking in surprisingly very good condition. The last 190's were built in 1992/3, there are some K reg to L reg 190's out there but I believe they were old stock and registered long after being built.

Edited by Julynian

It's still going strong. A Mercedes 190E AMG Sportline 2.6 straight 6 perol automatic. 166 BHP not really that powerful in todays world but it is now 21 years old. The mercedes 190 range is possibly one of the most reliable cars built in the last 50 years. I had a 2.0 petrol prior to this one owned it for 8 years, other than usual servicing the only thing that ever went wrong in all that time was the water pump. The cars body kit was fitted by mercedes, but not factory fitted, as the full deal with AMG had not been completed. I have the original bruchure for it too. The car cost £29,000 new and my brother is now the 5th owner.

I gave the car to my Dear now departed Dad, he ran it for another 4 years and it never broke down or needed new parts other than the norm, it had one tiny bit of rust on a rear back window panel other than that it was very clean and tidy car. Whilst parked someone scraped up the enytire n/s and it was writen off. Such a shame but just not economically viable to repair :(

You'll see many Mercedes 190's on the road today many well over 25 years old now, looking in surprisingly very good condition. The last 190's were built in 1992/3, there are some K reg to L reg 190's out there but I believe they were old stock and registered long after being built.

Those old 190's were pretty good and much much simpler than the rest of the breed.

It's a shame to see decent reliable cars with years left in them end up on the pile through economics. Do you think you'll save it? I've run old bmws for years, they just do the job perfectly with no hassle, even when they've done a few 100k miles. My favorite was a 328 6cyl auto, very torquey, very lazy unless you put your boot down & absolutely bomb proof. I imagine your 190 was a similar experience? The 190 is a great looking car, an itch i really must scratch.

It's a shame to see decent reliable cars with years left in them end up on the pile through economics. Do you think you'll save it? I've run old bmws for years, they just do the job perfectly with no hassle, even when they've done a few 100k miles. My favorite was a 328 6cyl auto, very torquey, very lazy unless you put your boot down & absolutely bomb proof. I imagine your 190 was a similar experience? The 190 is a great looking car, an itch i really must scratch.

You wouldn't be disappointed, My broher loves it.

My btothers just treated it to a full stainless steel exhaust system, i don't mean a boy racer one with big flared pipes, but based on the original exhaust, has a lovely rumble sound now with a different designed silencers. He's an engineer at Rolls Royce so it'll be done right LOL

I reckon hell keep it, it's a bit juicy being a 2.6 bu he earns good money and doesn't have a heavy Right foot If I drove like a granny I could get 26mpg around own. On a run though i think was 38mpg, the straight 6 is very smooth.

Has the rare ductail spoiler too.

DSCF7829.jpg