Leeds safe place to leave boat for a couple of night?

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Clarence dock gets pretty full in the summer, but granary wharf is always quite empty.

Electric at both places, but at granary its £3/night if your moored in one of the docks. - free to moor if your on the canal - no matter what the security guard says.

Clarence dock gets pretty full in the summer, but granary wharf is always quite empty.

Electric at both places, but at granary its £3/night if your moored in one of the docks. - free to moor if your on the canal - no matter what the security guard says.

On the basis that the security staff who attempted to charge us £3 per night to moor at Granary Wharf a couple of years ago - we didn't use the electric - couldn't provide me with anything on headed paper I declined to pay and managed to escape early enough on my day of departure, before too many people were around. We stayed for 36 hours and made sure that we didn't walk past their office door when walking to or from the boat!

Others have suggested that their attempts at charging are not necessarily legal. My guess is that they keep the "charge" low in the hope that people will simply pay up without question. Presumably, if you don't speak to them whilst you're there (because you leave the boat unattended) and they don't see you going, there's no way that they can collect what they say you owe because any paperwork they produce has no indication of the company name or address.

My guess is that you may need to pay if you wish to use the electric.

On the other hand, £3 per night to have someone keep an eye on your unattended boat possibly isn't that bad and is probably a lot less than what you'd pay to leave it in a marina.

On the other hand, £3 per night to have someone keep an eye on your unattended boat possibly isn't that bad and is probably a lot less than what you'd pay to leave it in a marina.

True, however it seems their honesty is in question and not sure that they would be the best people to keep an eye on an un-attended boat.

Others have suggested that their attempts at charging are not necessarily legal. My guess is that they keep the "charge" low in the hope that people will simply pay up without question.

When they ask for payment, tell them that you need a VAT receipt. That should sort out whether they are genuine!

• Greenie 1

When they ask for payment, tell them that you need a VAT receipt. That should sort out whether they are genuine!

I asked for a copy of their authority to charge on their company's headed paper.

I'm still waiting nearly two years later but, to be fair, I have moved since then.