Paint removal tool

tony collins

Featured Posts

File0005.jpg

This is a (rough) sketch of a tool I borrowed from a mate at a local boatyard to remove several layers of paint and budgie grit from the roof of my boat. I need to buy/get one and he wants to replace his old one. The trouble is, his has no markings on it and I have searched t'internet without luck so far. Anyone any ideas?

Regards

Tony :blush:

I've no idea but ...

I used a tool to remove paint and grit from my roof that is made by Stanley, it's just a very sharp blade mounted as the top to a 'T' with a handle below forming the upright. In use the edge of the blade is worked under the paint and then it's possible to cut a 4" wide strip off in one go from one side of the roof to the other. I couldn't believe how easy it was when I first used it and it's very clean, there's no dust and the bits cut off can be put straight into a bucket/bin bag.

There are cheap versions with only one screw clamping the blade in place but they get paint between the blade and the ends of the grip which stops the paint you're stripping off from coming off in one smooth strip.

You'll go through a few blades if your paint has bird grit in.

I last saw one of these in Focus.

Ric.

Thanks Vic and Amicus, for your replies. Niether of them are quite what I was looking for, but I may investigate your suggestions. I did the roof last year with the tool I sketched mounted on an industrial polisher and it was very good, if a little noisy. However I am having the boat out this winter to give it a good fettling before extensive cruising next year. I am aware that there is some surface rusting on the hull under a couple of layers of comastic and fancy getting rid of that before reblacking.

Regards

Tony :blush:

Can't help thinking that the canonical 'angle grinder-and-cup-brush' is the simplest and cheapest solution to this one...

one problem with any steel wire brush is that it polishes the metal surface which is not the best basis for further painting

Another option for paint removal is a needle gun. Electric versions are available (I have onle ever used compressed air guns).

http://www.jewson.co.uk/en/templates/toolh...emId=prod450206

How about this then for a paint job !!!

http://www.rossrevenge.co.uk/tilbury12/index.htm

Screw fix direct at www.screwfix.com

They stock the Garryson Preparation Cup Wheel 115 x 22mm

It will fit most small angle grinders and is better than a wire cup.

This will remove paint etc. and not the underlying metal. It also leaves a good surface for the new paint.

This link might take you straight there

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.js...101282&ts=72465

If not the part number at Screwfix is 32538

Screw fix direct at www.screwfix.com

They stock the Garryson Preparation Cup Wheel 115 x 22mm

It will fit most small angle grinders and is better than a wire cup.

This will remove paint etc. and not the underlying metal. It also leaves a good surface for the new paint.

This link might take you straight there

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.js...101282&ts=72465

If not the part number at Screwfix is 32538

Looks very much like the 3M pads we used on emilyanne, only a little more reasonably priced, and for a angle grinder not a drill.

- There quite good, and at £3 quite a good buy, get get quite a few...

Daniel

• 9 months later...

Hi,

We've known for some time that the boat needed painting, so we've got it booked into the slipway in a few weeks time. However, I felt it was important to do some preparation work on some of the scruffier parts - rub down, prime and undercoat. That way there would be less work when the boat is out of the water.

We finally started removing some paint on the boat yesterday. I started on the gunwale and quickly found that the place where I had started I could strip some of the topcoat paint off almost like wallpaper, but still leaving a damaged primer layer. It doesn't all come off so easily, some is more firmly fixed, and I have no idea yet what the paint is like on other parts of the boat. However it is already obvious that quite a lot will need taking back to either the metal, or at least something approaching it.

The question then is "how"? We have a random orbital sander, but the action of these is for rubbing down between coats - it certainly is nothing like aggressive enough for full-scale paint removal. So if it's to be by mechanical means, something using a straight circular motion seems best, perhaps attaching to either a drill or possibly an angle grinder. However attempting to use paper-backed sanding discs that go onto a flexible backing pad, and into a drill, seemed pretty hopeless - we quickly demolished those we had, with only a small area covered. Additionally normal discs seem to only be sold in smallish quantities, and priced at a level where this looks a prohibitively expensive route. We also had a few ancient metal based discs - these lasted longer, but those we have found on the Net cost pounds each - again not a viable option, given the number we are likely to destroy.

Am I missing something here, or are there places that suitably resilient discs can be purchased in bulk, without breaking the bank?

Looking for alternatives, I've tried various searches on the forum, without much success. For example, Screwfix doesn't seem to still do the part suggested by Daniel last September.

Has anyone any other suggestions - and how successful have people been with the suggestions posted in this thread? I know there was a discussion about using chemical paint strippers - anyone tried this? Any success? Any warnings? Finally, my son suggested stripping the paint with a blowtorch - he reckons the boat is a big enough heat sink that I won't damage the interior (Rockwool insulation) - any ideas?

Regards

Catrin

I have started to strip my roof back to bare metal this weekend using a Black & Decker angle grinder with Piranha 24 G/K coarse pads ( about £6 for a pack of 5 from B & Q ).

I've managed to complete half the roof ( on a 40 foot narrowboat ) but ran out of discs this morning.

The discs work well on paint but as soon as you start on the sanded parts of the roof they wear out quicker.

Steve

refina paint scabblers are available to buy direct (google for refina) or on hire from Brandon.

Cheers Chris,

I had thought about a scabbler, but they are incredibly expensive to buy, and at the moment we're working on the boat when work patterns and weather allow - hiring could be difficult to fit in around this - especially as there is no Brandon very near. However, when we get the boat out of the water we may consider this, thanks.

I have started to strip my roof back to bare metal this weekend using a Black & Decker angle grinder with Piranha 24 G/K coarse pads ( about £6 for a pack of 5 from B & Q ).

I've managed to complete half the roof ( on a 40 foot narrowboat ) but ran out of discs this morning.

The discs work well on paint but as soon as you start on the sanded parts of the roof they wear out quicker.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks,

These sound more promising than the paper backed discs we used on a pad in a drill. These just disintegrate very quickly indeed.

How many discs did it take you so far to get half way through that roof ?

I couldn't easily find the product on the B&Q web-site though. Can you describe it a bit more, please? What sized angle grinder do they work with, and is there some kind of separate backing pad that they are used with ?

We have a 4.5" angle grinder, but I'm guessing these might go on something bigger than that ?

Regards

Catrin

Cheers Chris,

I had thought about a scabbler, but they are incredibly expensive to buy, and at the moment we're working on the boat when work patterns and weather allow - hiring could be difficult to fit in around this - especially as there is no Brandon very near. However, when we get the boat out of the water we may consider this, thanks.

Steve,

Thanks,

These sound more promising than the paper backed discs we used on a pad in a drill. These just disintegrate very quickly indeed.

I couldn't easily find the product on the B&Q web-site though. Can you describe it a bit more, please? What sized angle grinder do they work with, and is there some kind of separate backing pad that they are used with ?

We have a 4.5" angle grinder, but I'm guessing these might go on something bigger than that ?

Regards

Catrin

Hi,

I'd suggest zirconium 'resin fibre' discs, used with a backing pad in the grinder, eg:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=zirconi...d&scoring=p

They can sometimes be had from Ebay quite cheaply.

I'd expect 24 or 36 grit is good for paint removal, and 60 or 80 grit for 'feathering in' to sound paint.

I have also tried 'flap wheels' that don't need a backing pad but found they gouge the steel a bit too easily!

cheers,

Pete.

Catrin

I used all 5 of the discs which were in the pack over the weekend. The grinder I have is a Black & Decker but I have left it on the boat so I can't give you any info on that.

The info on the discs as written on the packet is as follows :- Coarse 24G/K Heavy Duty, extra resistant. Code X32150. The pad size is 115mm with a 22mm hole in the centre. Piranha, Black & Decker.

I intend to buy another pack of 5 and weather permitting finish the other half this weekend.

Steve

as long as he doesn't go all the way through he should be all right ..........................................

........................ sorry, couldn't resist B)

Catrin

I bought the discs last night, but spotted a coarser grit - details as follows:- 5 x 24GK heavy duty super Piranha Black & Decker Code No X32150.

I will be trying them this weekend.

Steve

Cheers Steve,

We'll be looking for some of these this afternoon.

Regards

Catrin