port holes or windows?

nmptwentyone

Featured Posts

plan to put in an order for a sailaway early next year.

i would prefer port holes for security and privacy reasons but the misses isnt to keen. thinks it will be too dark and we wont be able to see the lovely countryside which we will be a part of.

what do you think?

i would prefer port holes for security and privacy reasons but the misses isnt to keen. thinks it will be too dark and we wont be able to see the lovely countryside which we will be a part of.

what do you think?

I would go for windows in the lounge and galley areas and portholes in the rest.

One tip, don't make the boat symmetrical very few people do this and builders don't like to do it for some reason but it is far better not to have the apertures opposite one another, that way you won't have that see-through effect and will avoid dark areas in the boat.

what do you think?

what about combining port holes with hatches? You can have the hatches open in order to see the world and let light in when you fancy.

Mainly windows. Thats what i would do anyway.

We have large windows in each of the two bedrooms (roughtly 18*24", symmeticaly on each side)

- Then two larger windows in dinning/living end of the main livingspace, about 18*26", also symetical.

- Two smaller windows in the galley/kichen end of the main living room, each 18*14", and symetical.

- Then two 8" portholes on each side of the (10ft) engine room. And a final 18*14" frosted window in the (non-corridor) bathroom.

Theres then also two side hatches, diagonaly, eather side and end of the main living room, and three large glased roof hatchs. (two in them main living room, one over the engine room)

We've left the boat in some pritty remote places, somtimes for longish peroids of time. And touch wood nothing has happened dueing the first 15years.

Daniel

Admittedly my experience has only been from hire boats but I like having a hatch near the kitchen.

It lets heat / burnt toast smoke out easily & it's essential for feeding the ducks with bread crusts. Also you can stand up and yell out of the hatch to ask the driver if s/he's ready for a bacon butty, to lean out to see when the next lock is approaching and to dangle a sea magnet while waiting for waiting for the spuds to boil. (wearing me Marigolds, of course)

Oh, I do luv an 'atch 'ole.

Chrissie

Admittedly my experience has only been from hire boats but I like having a hatch near the kitchen.

It lets heat / burnt toast smoke out easily & it's essential for feeding the ducks with bread crusts. Also you can stand up and yell out of the hatch to ask the driver if s/he's ready for a bacon butty, to lean out to see when the next lock is approaching and to dangle a sea magnet while waiting for waiting for the spuds to boil. (wearing me Marigolds, of course)

Oh, I do luv an 'atch 'ole.

Chrissie

Hi

Alright for locks but not advisable for bridges, can cause a headache at best or decapitation at worst. :lol::lol:

what do you think?

Unless the windows come down to the bottom of the cabin sides you can only see out when stood up. There are hire boats that have them lower by a dip in the Gunnels.

Mine are all windows and all but two of those lift out for cleaning. Lots of light, can take whole windows out when it's hot, and we have curtains to pull across if we feel we want a bit more privacy.

I don't think I would like portholes, but they do look great and are a lot more secure.

I've seen combinations of both, all one and all the other. I think it's a personal thing depending on what you like light and privacy wise.

We've just ordered a new boat and after umming and ahhing a lot, we've opted for all portholes and two hatches for security reasons. That said, I think I will visit my neighbour's boat with all portholes, to check on the light issue, although, from what i remember, n(I haven't been on their boat for ages) I don't think that much light was sacrifced from them opting for all portholes.

I was opposed to portholes at first, but having gone through summer keeping my curtains closed on the boat I currently live on to reduce the temperature, I think I will be ok with less light that portholes offer.

I like the idea of a houdini hatch in the roof though - I think it creates tons of light.

'Light level' will also depend on the internal decor, the human eye is very adept at adjusting for light levels.

There are variations from person to person, I can see very well in the 'dark' but have problems when it is very bright, my wife is the other way, so we make a good pair :lol:

After that preamble it will come down to personal choice, ours will be all portholes with two side hatches.

I've got all windows apart from a porthole each side of the rear cabin which is a bit unusual for a low, tug-shaped boat. For security I'd feel happier about leaving the boat if it had all portholes and solid doors. If I ever have a shell built then I would opt for portholes but at least two hatches with internal glazed timber window frames that can be opened in good weather. The perspex panel I have for my hatches is a bit naff. Hatch locks need to be serious though. The previous owner had two break-ins where the hatch was levered and the locks forced. The same would apply for roof hatches, although one would be useful over the kitchen for light and smoke (lots of smoke when I'm allowed to cook!)

Noah

Our boat has a mix of portholes and windows, including side hatches in the engine room and also one in the galley... but it's a bit "different" because it has bars over the windows which make it nice and safe. Yes, they could be smashed but at least nobody will be able to get in!

Not the best pic I know, but gives you an idea..

windows.jpg

Unless the windows come down to the bottom of the cabin sides you can only see out when stood up. There are hire boats that have them lower by a dip in the Gunnels.

I got half way though taping out a reply to this, then while i was away from the pc for 2mins my cosin closed the window and lost it.

So in summary, we have a very high sided boat, and as such fairly high windows, which combined with the low floor really accentuates the affect.

- However, for us its not to much of a problem.

Most of the time we aim to be on deck, eather helming talking to the helmsman, or sitting on the fordeck reading or sunning ourselfs. Or in the engine room, which has portholes anyway, so you could hardly see out if you tryed!

- If we're inside its actally quite nice not to feel like your in a greenhouse and just lounge on the sofa!

- And if you stand up, the heaps of head room (6ft 6" +) and the windows go right upto the top of the roof.

- Which is a plesant change from having to stoop all round th boat, like i would have to on most main-steam boats (im over 6ft2)

It also looks very pleasing to the eye from both the outside and inside, its a lovely boat, and the full-lengh curve in the roof line and gunnel just absolutly makes it in my mind.

Daniel

There was a time when the canals were all in such poor condition that water would commonly pour out from the walls of locks in frightening quantities, that problem prompted the near universal use of hopper windows. Now we can afford to be a bit more adventurous, I fitted sliding windows, they are much nicer to use in warm weather and they don't restrict vision from inside the boat, they also look better from the outside.

That standard 36 inch narrowboat size has no particular logic either, I ordered units 48 x 21 inches, gives the boat a longer sleek appearance, look for other suppliers too, for a bit of originality there are many of them who supply windows for motor-homes, horse boxes, vans conversions etc. also they are likely to be cheaper.

There was a time when the canals were all in such poor condition that water would commonly pour out from the walls of locks in frightening quantities, that problem prompted the near universal use of hopper windows. Now we can afford to be a bit more adventurous, I fitted sliding windows, they are much nicer to use in warm weather and they don't restrict vision from inside the boat, they also look better from the outside.

Yes, very good call.

- Most of our windows are hopper-top, which are nice ina way, as you can leave them open all the time (ours are litteraly never shut, open all year round, even when we leave the boat)

- But the larger windows in the main livving room are sliding units as are the central windows of the wheel house windows. It deffornatly the way to go, even with the side hatches to open as well.

- The only thing i would change with our windows it to replace one, or both of, the hopper-top windows in the aft cabin with sliding windows to make it more plestant as a "day cabin" on hot days.

Heres a photo of the side of the boat showing the window sizes and layout.

emilyanne%20at%20tarleton.jpg

From left right right:

- Front hatch to foredeck

- Forecabin hoppertops, allowing permanat seady ventialtion all year round

- Side hatch (opersite bathroom, and its frosted window)

- Large Slideing window in main lving room, over the drop-leaf table and seating.

- Smaller hoppertop window over kitchen sink, allowing permanent ventialion and a view while washing up.

- Castle Scene, marking the loction of the side hatch on the otherside of the boat. (which allows diagonal cross draught in summer)

- Engine room portholes. Would be great to get more ventialtion i there on a hot day, but they look right, and the 24" houdini hatch in the roof is a good compromise.

- Hoppertops in the aftcabin/daycabin. Wish they where sliding, to provide a though draugh on hotdays, rather than melt from the intense heat of the engine/boiler room!!

- Folt down wheelhouse, fixed glased all round, with sliding central window. Colapsable for summer crusing.

Daniel

Have you been down Marple Locks recently John?. :blush:

Yes I have, I moor near there they need grouting again but it is not much compared to what you could experience 20+ years ago.

When I said frightening quantities I meant like filling a 50 gallon drum in 20 seconds, line up your hatch with that lot and it would really spoil your day. In fact Marple was not too bad as it was only restored in the 1970's. If I remember the Trent and Mersey was one of the worst with the Shropshire Union a close second.

One of the more successfully experiments that was carried out was 'Pressure Grouting' which has become near universal now. Before that they they would pull down an entire lock wall to repair and fill the cavities which get washed out from behind them.

I have portholes only - 7 on each side, plus a side hatch on each side. Both sides are symmetrical.

http://uk.msnusers.com/7kkj4ha9b91rajtslpc...es%2FScan9A.JPG

I think it looks great and a lot of other people think so too.

I chose 15" portholes - these let in enough light while still too small for most to break in through.

If you're choosing portholes for security reasons then there's no point having windows too - your security is only as good as your weakest point. For the same reason you've got to make your side hatches and doors secure & I would advise against windows in bow doors, that's often how the evils get in.

A couple of other points:

As already mentioned, interior brightness is dependant not only on how much light enters the cabin, but also how much is reflected from a light/dark interior.

Symmetrical arrangement of portholes & hatches on port/starboard sides presents no problems of dark areas as long as you have enough portholes. It's a good idea to have a side hatch on each side too, as it's nice to always be able to open a hatch opposite from the side you moor up.

One additional benefit of portholes is that being smaller than windows they mean there's less glass surface area on the boat and thus less heat loss in winter (unless you're comparing to double glazed windows).

Finally, whatever you go for, windows or portholes, don't put them too close to any hatches or doors which unbolt from the inside. Although thieves generally don't want to enter through a broken window, they might consider reaching in through broken glass to open a door or hatch.

Edited by blackrose

I remember a boat from the 70s in Rickmansworth with portholes down one side and windows down the other. Sounds odd but it didn't look it as you couldn't see both sides simultaneously. The idea was to give privacy when moored up on busy towpaths with still plenty of light and views of ducks - mind you the canals were less busy with passing boats at the time.

Paul H

I remember a boat from the 70s in Rickmansworth with portholes down one side and windows down the other. Sounds odd but it didn't look it as you couldn't see both sides simultaneously. The idea was to give privacy when moored up on busy towpaths with still plenty of light and views of ducks - mind you the canals were less busy with passing boats at the time.

Paul H

:P:D

With the the tow-path on the right this could be wrong but if it was on the left that could be right.

It depends on direction of travel :blush: