How long?

larryjc

Featured Posts

Been reading a thread about boat lengths and the canals that have restrictions. Lock size seems to be the main issue but what about turning around? - or do all canals lead somewhere? Presumably some are dead ends. Also what do you do if you find yourself confronted with a lock you can't get into. Presumably you have to turn around but if you are too long for the lock presumably you are too wide to do that also! Does this mean driving backwards for miles? Just trying to get my head around what size to buy especially as there are lots of boats longer than 57 foot around.

It's called forward planning, first when buying a boat knowing what restrictions

are on which canal you intend to visit or if you've got a boat then knowing

where you can take it before you go there.

Dave

57ft does seem to be a most popular length although some people will say you'll be able to get to most places even in a 60ft.

We have 55 and never had any problem going anywhere yet!!

Likewise in our 70'

Richard

Hi.

I have been doing loads of research and after talking to a retired couple up here in Yorkshire, they were telling me that their boat is 62 feet long and have lived aboard for more then ten years and in all that time have never had a problem with fitting into locks.

Hi.

I have been doing loads of research and after talking to a retired couple up here in Yorkshire, they were telling me that their boat is 62 feet long and have lived aboard for more then ten years and in all that time have never had a problem with fitting into locks.

But have they tried going anywhere?

Hi.

Clearly 'Constant Moorers' ;)

Hi.

They haven't cruised the 'nearby' Calder & Hebble Navigation then - I'd Like to see them get a 62' boat through Salterhebble locks.

There's a few terminii (is that the right word?) where a 70' boat can't turn round, so forwards planning is required here. Thankfully, they tend to be well documented. For example, at both ends (well, it has 3 ends, the 2 which don't have the junction with the T&M) of the Caldon canal, there are restrictions. On the Leek branch, there is a large pool which any boat can turn in, then a tunnel, then a regular sized winding hole, then some moorings, then the actual end of the canal is a funny shaped winding hole which apparently is windable in a boat 45' long but looks dodgy.

At the other end, there's a full sized winding hole, then another mile or so of canal, a 60' winding hole, then the famously low Froghall tunnel, then a lock and a larger area to moor in. If you can't go through the tunnel, then you can't use the last mile or so of canal unless you want to reverse back out of it.

I'm sure there's others like this too.

They haven't cruised the 'nearby' Calder & Hebble Navigation then - I'd Like to see them get a 62' boat through Salterhebble locks.

Obviously they have a fancy bow thruster that lifts the front end so you can get the top gates open.

Been reading a thread about boat lengths and the canals that have restrictions. Lock size seems to be the main issue but what about turning around? - or do all canals lead somewhere? Presumably some are dead ends. Also what do you do if you find yourself confronted with a lock you can't get into. Presumably you have to turn around but if you are too long for the lock presumably you are too wide to do that also! Does this mean driving backwards for miles? Just trying to get my head around what size to buy especially as there are lots of boats longer than 57 foot around.

Buy whatever boat fits your requirements, to live or holiday on, then check/plan your routes accordingly.

A 70' boat will go everywhere except a few canals up north.

Someone will now pop up with some under used stream/river/canal inthe southt of the country that is also restricted.;)

You may have been here Route planning/stoppages/restrictions the page has a link to the official figures, C&RT waterway dimensions.

A 70' boat will go everywhere except a few canals up north.

This is actually a very important point. As we both work, we just don't have enough time to get to those Northern canals that Tawny won't fit. So the boat length becomes irrelevant

It's a bit challenging to turn at the end of the Bradley arm mind as the basin is about 70' 3" wide

Richard

Edited by RLWP