need and emergency plummer on kennet and avon

Kassia

Featured Posts

Hello.

Does anyone know of a good plumber who works the kennet and Avon? We are moored in saltford near the bird in hand pub. Last night our water pump would not cut off. We think there may be a problem with either the pump or the accumilator. In our survey it mentions the fact the accumilator is quite far away from the pump and so this effects the water pressure and stops it cutting off at the right point. This problem has worsened over time so Im wondering if the pump may need replacing.

Our problem is as we have a back boiler on our wood burner so we can't use the fire as the pump is just going continuously without cutting off.

And with all this snow we could do with a fire!

If anyone knows whether we could still run our wood burner can you let me know but I imagine it wouldn't do the system any good.

And if anyone knows of a plumber we could call that may be willing to brave the weather that would be a great help.

Thanks!

Light your fire and get warm, as long as its the central heating pump that is running continuously you will be ok, its when it stops you need to extinguish the fire.

Do you have a pipe thermostat that is stuck making the pump run all the time? They look like These

Edited by wonderdust

This is something you might be able to fix yourself , following a few simple guidelines, which are:

1. remove the outlet pipe on the pump.

2. The pump should begin pumping water.

3. Hold your thumb over the outlet connection on the pump.

4. The pump should built up pressure on the outlet side and switch off.

If this happens, then you know the issue is not the pump, but a leak in a pipe further downstream from the pump.

That should take you 15mins if you have a spanner handy, and then you'll know where the issue lies.

If the pump doesnt switch off, even with you blocking the outlet side, you could try adjusting the pressure switch screw on the pump...most have one.

If this is fresh water, this may seem like stupid question but do you have water in the tank. When water level drops my pump runs continuously and gurgles as pumping air and water, therefore not building pressure and switching pump off.

Also can you check your pipe runs as if a pipe joint after the pump has let go you would be filling your bilges.

If back boiler then no idea but as others say, problem is when pump not working.

If this is fresh water, this may seem like stupid question but do you have water in the tank. When water level drops my pump runs continuously and gurgles as pumping air and water, therefore not building pressure and switching pump off.

Also can you check your pipe runs as if a pipe joint after the pump has let go you would be filling your bilges.

If back boiler then no idea but as others say, problem is when pump not working.

My thoughts too.

Thanks for this guys. Now all sorted with the help of Spencer at the boatyard going through it with us. It was our accumilator pressure not being high enough. SO chuffed we have fixed it. Our first boat DIY, great feeling to learn a bit more about our boat. Thanks all, enjoy the snow!

Edited by Kassia

Thanks for this guys. Now all sorted with the help of Spencer at the boatyard going through it with us. It was our accumilator pressure not being high enough. SO chuffed we have fixed it. Our first boat DIY, great feeling to learn a bit more about our boat. Thanks all, enjoy the snow!

I'm glad it is sorted, but like "Keeping Up", I can't imagine how the reason given can have caused that problem.

A cold water system should still work, if the accumulator is massively over pressure or under pressure, just that the pump will cycle on and off more rapidly, but you should still get water delivered OK, and the pump should stop as you close a tap. (Some systems omit the accumulator, so its presence is far from essential or a system to work).

I think either you have misunderstood, or some other factor has come into play in the solution.

For future reference and should anyone arrive at this thread through the entertainingly named "search' function.

A very good boatie plumber on the western Kennet and Avon is Kev the Pipe, 07796 560476

If only he were known as "Kevin the pipe" the search facilty would have a better chance!

Hello again

well I did speak a little too soon. The problem recolved itself but then happened again.

Alan I think you may be right that I misunderstood or something else is not quite right.

We added more air to the accumilator and our pump seemed to turn on and off better than it every has. But over the day we used the taps and then the pump would not cut off again.

We checked the accumilator pressure again yesterday and it had gone down to 1bar, ( we pumped it up to 2.5 on Friday)so we pumped it up again.

I also read in our survey that becuase our pump is far away from our batteries this could cause a problem but we keep the batteries But if some systems omit the accumilator then maybe I am focusing on the wrong thing?!

So we are a bit baffled really. Im wondering if we have a small water leak somewhere, we did check what we could and there didnt seem to be one but I would have thought that is the reason we are loosing pressure? I plan on looking at the pump again this eve to see if we can figure it out but any more thoughts from you all is always a help!

Cheers

Kassia

Hello again

well I did speak a little too soon. The problem recolved itself but then happened again.

Alan I think you may be right that I misunderstood or something else is not quite right.

We added more air to the accumilator and our pump seemed to turn on and off better than it every has. But over the day we used the taps and then the pump would not cut off again.

We checked the accumilator pressure again yesterday and it had gone down to 1bar, ( we pumped it up to 2.5 on Friday)so we pumped it up again.

I also read in our survey that becuase our pump is far away from our batteries this could cause a problem but we keep the batteries But if some systems omit the accumilator then maybe I am focusing on the wrong thing?!

So we are a bit baffled really. Im wondering if we have a small water leak somewhere, we did check what we could and there didnt seem to be one but I would have thought that is the reason we are loosing pressure? I plan on looking at the pump again this eve to see if we can figure it out but any more thoughts from you all is always a help!

Cheers

Kassia

Don't know if it will be any help, but 2 winters ago we had a similar problem, eventually tracking it down to the water-tank breather having frozen up solid. It was causing the pump to try to pump water whilst its suction side was under a partial vacuum. Try pouring some HOT water over/around the tank breather, or wrap it in a hot cloth. Good luck, and keep us informed.

As you seem to still have an issue.....

1. remove the outlet pipe on the pump.

2. The pump should begin pumping water.

3. Hold your thumb over the outlet connection on the pump.

4. The pump should built up pressure on the outlet side and switch off.

If this happens, then you know the issue is not the pump, but a leak in a pipe further downstream from the pump. You could also disconnect the inlet to the accumulator and press your finger up against it...pump should build up pressure along the piping...and switch off. Then you could reconnect, and disconnect after the accumulator and again try the pressure test. That should tell you if it's the accumulator or not. Process of elimination. I dont have an accumulator in my boat...and it seems to work 100%.

;-)