BUYING & RUNNING A BOAT

nick1973

Featured Posts

Hi folks

i dont know if you can help me but im looking at buying a boat either to live on or rent out.

Apart from Cost of buying the boat what other costs do i need to look into.

Sorry to be very thick but would love to get some advice and help.

Nick

Hi folks

i dont know if you can help me but im looking at buying a boat either to live on or rent out.

Nick

Nck spend some time reading through threads on this forum, as a rule of thumb it costs about the same as living on land. You will need mooring, license, safety cert, insurance , deisel and regular funds for maintenance. You can't rent out legally without getting further advice contact the canal and river trust.

Hi folks

Nick

Welcome to the forum, Nick,

As Tuscan has said, you really must read through the 'living aboard' threads on this forum - - it will not only answer your questions, but also answer the questions that you haven't thought of yet!

And, generally speaking, living on a boat has very similar costs to living in an house, though the maintenance of a boat is dearer!!

Now - with regard to renting out a boat, things become even dearer!! (because you have to keep your boat in tip-top condition, the maintenance and running costs are dearer, as is insurance and facilities - - start with the CRT information here: CRT Boats for hire

You may well find the costs of leasing out your boat prohibitive

Nck spend some time reading through threads on this forum, as a rule of thumb it costs about the same as living on land. You will need mooring, license, safety cert, insurance , deisel and regular funds for maintenance. You can't rent out legally without getting further advice contact the canal and river trust.

thank you for your help i will look into it

only started looking on here last night as im a newbie

Welcome to the forum, Nick,

As Tuscan has said, you really must read through the 'living aboard' threads on this forum - - it will not only answer your questions, but also answer the questions that you haven't thought of yet!

And, generally speaking, living on a boat has very similar costs to living in an house, though the maintenance of a boat is dearer!!

Now - with regard to renting out a boat, things become even dearer!! (because you have to keep your boat in tip-top condition, the maintenance and running costs are dearer, as is insurance and facilities - - start with the CRT information here: CRT Boats for hire

You may well find the costs of leasing out your boat prohibitive

thanks grace and favour for your help

sorry for being abit of a thicky

Hi folks

Nick

Have a look at this site - his book is well worth the £5

He is also in the process of releasing free (for the basic) software on costs which you might find very useful.

I have no connection other than as a tester for the software.

I've been reading around the forums quite a lot and have only picked up a bit of this information. It would be *really* useful if ballpark costs could be collected in a single thread. Ranges would be great, how often the costs are incurred and links to further info.

e.g.

Mooring (North) - £x to £y, monthly

Mooring (South) - £x to £y, monthly

License (canals & rivers) - £420 to £915, annually (link)

BSS - £x to £y, ever four years (link)

Insurance - £x to £y, annually

Diesel - £x to £y, per mile

Maintenance (?? bit tricky maybe but hull blacking, repainting, engine service and any other significant items would be interesting to know)

I've been reading around the forums quite a lot and have only picked up a bit of this information. It would be *really* useful if ballpark costs could be collected in a single thread. Ranges would be great, how often the costs are incurred and links to further info.

e.g.

Maintenance (?? bit tricky maybe but hull blacking, repainting, engine service and any other significant items would be interesting to know)

Hi Jambo,

Well, all that information is on this forum - - - - - the Search facility is quite good once you've got the hang of using it

e.g.

These are things that are really easy for you to find , but first you need to do some basics and decide value of boat (insurance) , type of engine(fuel costs), length of boat mooring. Suggest you do this and make some calls. Maintenance costs will depend somewhat on age of boat and how handy you are, just assume it will cost more than you think.

Hi Jambo,

Well, all that information is on this forum - - - - - the Search facility is quite good once you've got the hang of using it

I have been using it but not had much luck with many of these. I will persevere and slowly pick these things up. I just thought a central repository would be useful for newcomers as they could be directed to it quite simply.

e.g.

I don't live on my boat so can't help with "living costs" but you might find my experiences of the cost of owning and maintaining a narrowboat useful clicky

e.g.

yes very good idea

just what i was looking for

Your view, which you are entitled to as much as I am mine.

I respect your view but think you were, at best, being flippant, if not unfair.

Not everyone who aspires to own a boat (or a Roller) has unlimited dosh but without aspiration what chance of advancement?

I want a boat, I have finite resources.

Asking about the costs (not price) and using the large amounts of info gleaned from this forum has gone a long way in helping me avoid making stupid mistakes on my way to ownership.

taslim.

• 2 weeks later...

I respect your view but think you were, at best, being flippant, if not unfair.

Not everyone who aspires to own a boat (or a Roller) has unlimited dosh but without aspiration what chance of advancement?

I want a boat, I have finite resources.

Asking about the costs (not price) and using the large amounts of info gleaned from this forum has gone a long way in helping me avoid making stupid mistakes on my way to ownership.

taslim.

Thanks for that TASLIM

I also have minimul money but was just asking for advise from people to see what the costs would be (ruffly) so i can plan things