Rope Splicing

Tony A

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend someone in the Essex/Herts area to splice a rope onto anchor chain.

I'd have a go myself but as it's the anchor I don't want to take a chance.

Most narrowboaters seem to use an eye splice and a shackle to join the two. Possibly better to use a thimble in the eye splice. Like I am going to do, one day.

ETA- An eye splice is very easy with a decent set of instructions and there are plenty available online.

Edited by Rich

I was shown how to splice by a colleague at work who ran the local Sea Scouts (and he was shown by someone who had worked on sailing ships). I practiced on a few pieces of rope and got him to check them. Once you've got the idea it's quite straight forwards. Also worth learning how to do a sail makers whipping at the same time so you can finish all of the ropes neatly.

Edited by Chalky

Most narrowboaters seem to use an eye splice and a shackle to join the two. Possibly better to use a thimble in the eye splice. Like I am going to do, one day.

ETA- An eye splice is very easy with a decent set of instructions and there are plenty available online.

Indeed, even Mrs TNC, with her tenny weeny hands can do a eye splice.

I was shown how to splice by a colleague at work who ran the local Sea Scouts (and he was shown by someone who had worked on sailing ships). I practiced on a few pieces of rope and got him to check them. Once you've got the idea it's quite straight forwards. Also worth learning how to do a sail makers whipping at the same time so you can finish all of the ropes neatly.

I learnt in the Sea Scouts so splice all my own ropes. Not sure about the whipping though. I prefer to use heat shrink sleeving nowadays. A nice red usually!

Pete

I posted this on another thread:

Video on splicing onto chain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KfDyDYC5g1E

Not meant for narrowboats but some useful info, including splicing onto chain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL05B8468B1D3C59CB&v=CZq9rZvf9pE&feature=player_embedded

EDIT to correct links

Edited by Alanji

Sorry Alanji neither of those links worked for me. The You Tube one just goes to the general start page and the other one says sorry this page has moved.

To be fair I could find rope splicing on You Tube but I just wanted to let you know that the links were broken.

Pete

Edited by pete.i

Can anyone recommend someone in the Essex/Herts area to splice a rope onto anchor chain.

I'd have a go myself but as it's the anchor I don't want to take a chance.

Have a go yourself, its not difficult with instructions as clear as these and you would be doing it properly rather than using an eye splice.

16mm anchorbraid into 10mm chain works well.

Have a go yourself, its not difficult with instructions as clear as these and you would be doing it properly rather than using an eye splice.

16mm anchorbraid into 10mm chain works well.

In what way would it be improper to use a eye splice?

• Greenie 1

Interesting question. I think the answer is when you are retrieving the anchor warp with a winch. If you splice an eye through the last link, or use a shackle, you end up with a lump that can't be run through the winching mechanism. The method shown (using eight strand sennit) makes a smooth thansition

Richard

Interesting question. I think the answer is when you are retrieving the anchor warp with a winch. If you splice an eye through the last link, or use a shackle, you end up with a lump that can't be run through the winching mechanism. The method shown (using eight strand sennit) makes a smooth thansition

Richard

I have often thought that a winch to pull the boat in when mooring into a strong wind coming of the towpath would be very handy but I haven't come across many (any) narrowboats with anchor winches.

I don't think that methods used by the lumpy water boaters need to apply to us ditch crawlers.

I have often thought that a winch to pull the boat in when mooring into a strong wind coming of the towpath would be very handy but I haven't come across many (any) narrowboats with anchor winches.

I don't think that methods used by the lumpy water boaters need to apply to us ditch crawlers.

True, and good craftsmanship is good craftsmanship wherever it comes from. I would very much like to try splicing some sixteen strand sennit to a length of chain, I haven't found an opportunity to do so yet

Richard

If your splicing directly into a chain link there will be chaffing.

If using a shackle on the eye splice you would still need a riggers thimble on the latter to protect from chaffing. Remember you will also need to seize the shackle to avoid the pin coming out. It does allow a means to separate rope from chain but otherwise its a complicated, more expensive and maybe ugly solution.

Sorry Alanji neither of those links worked for me. The You Tube one just goes to the general start page and the other one says sorry this page has moved.

To be fair I could find rope splicing on You Tube but I just wanted to let you know that the links were broken.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Links edited - not sure what happened there!