Lombardini 3 cylinder engine

seadog42uk

Featured Posts

Does anyone know of an engineer in the Uxbridge area who can assist a friend of mine?, She has a 60foot narrowboat with a 3 cylinder Lombardini engine, rebuilt last year. The problem seems to be with the starter motor, all she gets is a click when turning the key, a new starter battery was fitted last week.

Try Sillette Sonic on 02083377543 they may have engineers down their way. Starter probs should be straightforward but these lightweight Italian engines have an unusual FI system and they have belt driven camshafts, so try and ascertain when (if?) the belt was last changed.

Paul M

Try Sillette Sonic on 02083377543 they may have engineers down their way. Starter probs should be straightforward but these lightweight Italian engines have an unusual FI system and they have belt driven camshafts, so try and ascertain when (if?) the belt was last changed.

Paul M

What's an "FI system", please?

MtB

Edit: I think I've got it, "Fuel Injection" system? But what impact might this have on the starter motor? And how could the age of the cambelt affect the starter motor?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I typical cause of this sort of problem is a poorly connected high current cable -probably after refitting the starter battery. The key switch operates a solenoid, which moves the drive pinion and powers the starter motor. If the battery is flat or there are poor/loose connections then the starter cannot turn as it needs in the order of 500 - 1000 amps which severely tests any bad connections or cables. Does any connection try to get warm? Has it ever started since te new battery was fitted?

Edited by Arthur Brown

I converted one of these starters to 24V for one of these sodding great vendee globe ocean racing boats. It's a basic Bosch permanent magnet - epicyclic reduction jobbie. DO NOT HIT IT WITH A HAMMER.

Most likely problem is either a dodgy high current connection either to or from the solenoid or brush wear. Another thing which seems to effect Bosch starters in particular is volt drop in the solenoid feed. Try shorting from the main +ve to the small"50" terminal on the solenoid and see what happens.

When I was contacted regarding this problem the first thing I suggested that the starter battery may be at fault. This was replaced but all see got was a click when the key was turned.

I typical cause of this sort of problem is a poorly connected high current cable -probably after refitting the starter battery. The key switch operates a solenoid, which moves the drive pinion and powers the starter motor. If the battery is flat or there are poor/loose connections then the starter cannot turn as it needs in the order of 500 - 1000 amps which severely tests any bad connections or cables. Does any connection try to get warm? Has it ever started since te new battery was fitted?

What's an "FI system", please?

MtB

Edit: I think I've got it, "Fuel Injection" system? But what impact might this have on the starter motor? And how could the age of the cambelt affect the starter motor?

In answer to your questions, yes, none, none. But I thought you might have known that.

The little knowledge I have I am (was) happy to share so that other people may build their own knowledge base. I am sorry to have gone so far "off topic".

The two points were offered so the OP's friend might avoid the experience of a friend of mine with one of these engines who was right royally kippered by a cowboy "engineer".

I hope these forums continue to offer sound advice when it is sought

Goodbye

Paul M

• Greenie 1

Why might he have known that, and why are you having such an epical flounce over MB's legitimate interested question on a related point, if not the exact point itself?

Nobody on this thread that I can see flagellated you for going off topic... Was it the voices? Take a chill pill, for goodness sake.

In times like this I just have a fiddle with the connections and sand of any build up on the connectors to batteries starters and anything else in the circuit.

More often than not it works for me and I award myself a glass of beer for a job well done.

Martyn