Stourport or Avon Ring?

chiefchippa

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I am completely new to boating, so please excuse any naive questions!

I've booked a surprise 1 week narrow boat holiday for my wife in mid April.

Our starting point will be Worcester. I know that the Stourport Ring is do-able in a week, but what about the Avon Ring?

It appeals to me doing a more rural cruise, so the Avon Ring would be better.

I know this sounds a silly question, but if I can't make the Avon Ring in a week, could I do part of it? Maybe to Stratford and then turn around and come back on myself to the return point of Worcester? I know, I might be missing out on lots of interesting locations, but I'm just more interested in the experience rather than all of the site seeing?

thanks in advance for any help!

Hi All,

Our starting point will be Worcester. I know that the Stourport Ring is do-able in a week, but what about the Avon Ring?

I know this sounds a silly question, but if I can't make the Avon Ring in a week, could I do part of it? Maybe to Stratford and then turn around and come back on myself to the return point of Worcester? I know, I might be missing out on lots of interesting locations, but I'm just more interested in the experience rather than all of the site seeing?

You will need 2 weeks to do the Avon ring although it`s much worth doin sometime :blink:

always check the river conditions though

Merry Christmas

You can use canalplanac to plan routes and get some idea of timings. Remember your one week hire is really 6.5 days.

You could just about do the Avon Ring but you would have to put in some very long hours, and with 131 locks it may not be the surprise your wife wanted! I think best avoided with just one week. Out and back to Stratford (on the river) would be possible, it is a similar distance to the Avon Ring but a lot less locks.

The Stourport ring is a bit shorted and a few less locks at 118, so more practical in a week.

Hi All,

It is possible to do the Avon Ring in a week, but it's hard work for two people. Unless your wife is a "hard-core" sort of boater, I doubt that she will consider it much of a holiday!

Stratford and back is certainly do-able in a week from Worcester, but as Stig said, you need to keep an eye on river levels.

If I were you I'd keep your options open and see what conditions are like at the time.

It is possible to do the Avon Ring in a week, but it's hard work for two people. Unless your wife is a "hard-core" sort of boater, I doubt that she will consider it much of a holiday!

Stratford and back is certainly do-able in a week from Worcester, but as Stig said, you need to keep an eye on river levels.

If I were you I'd keep your options open and see what conditions are like at the time.

interesting you say the avon ring is do-able in a week. Even with a total crew of 4 keen boaters, I hadn't considered this was an option! We're doing the 4 counties, and that requires 9.5 hours average per day! The Avon Ring must be getting on for 12 hours per day...

We did the stourport ring quite happily in a week. Twas OK, but not my favourite.

interesting you say the avon ring is do-able in a week. Even with a total crew of 4 keen boaters, I hadn't considered this was an option! We're doing the 4 counties, and that requires 9.5 hours average per day! The Avon Ring must be getting on for 12 hours per day...

We did the stourport ring quite happily in a week. Twas OK, but not my favourite.

I met a couple last year coming down though Strensham Lock - they were on the last day of doing the Avon Ring in a week.

They were young and fit. And totally knackered!

I met a couple last year coming down though Strensham Lock - they were on the last day of doing the Avon Ring in a week.

They were young and fit. And totally knackered!

not surprised! I'm not sure I'd want to try it with two of us, but interestingly, canalplan gives about the same time as the 4CR. Hmm - I appear to be planning our 2014 holiday now!

It would be less then 12 hours per day, probably 10, particularly of you go clockwise, and therefore down the Avon. You would be getting good use out of the hire boat that is for sure, but in need of a holiday afterwards.

It would be less then 12 hours per day, probably 10, particularly of you go clockwise, and therefore down the Avon. You would be getting good use out of the hire boat that is for sure, but in need of a holiday afterwards.

i checked after i posted (see above) and realised it gives about the same cruising time for both the Avon and FCR. More locks though...

To be honest, I prefer a full day, up at 7am type thing! Each to their own!

Many years ago I took two boats around the Avon Ring in a week from Alvechurch. I had plenty of crew but they were all Japanese school children and didn't understand going ahead and setting locks. It was a hard week but they did manage a bit of sight seeing in Stratford. We did the Stourport Ring this year and that was a leisurely week with two adults and two children.

Many years ago I took two boats around the Avon Ring in a week from Alvechurch. I had plenty of crew but they were all Japanese school children and didn't understand going ahead and setting locks. It was a hard week but they did manage a bit of sight seeing in Stratford. We did the Stourport Ring this year and that was a leisurely week with two adults and two children.

Hi, which did you prefer, the Avon or Stourport Ring?

Thanks All, for your input its much appreciated!

Hi, which did you prefer, the Avon or Stourport Ring?

Personally the Stourport Ring as there is more canal than river cruising and I prefer being on the canals as sometimes the rivers are high banked and not much to see especially the Severn. We also had time in Birmingham so the kids could go shopping in the Bull Ring which they don't normally get to do when we are out on the canals.

Personally the Stourport Ring as there is more canal than river cruising and I prefer being on the canals as sometimes the rivers are high banked and not much to see especially the Severn. We also had time in Birmingham so the kids could go shopping in the Bull Ring which they don't normally get to do when we are out on the canals.

Great, I think I am leaning towards the Stourport Ring, because for a first time boater the Avon Ring might be too big an ask!

I'd echo what others have been saying about Avon Ring being doable in a reasonably enthusiastic week. I did it in September last year going via droitwich (which makes it a bit longer) and think our longest day was probably 8 hours with a couple significantly less. We did manage to get away before 1pm on the first day which was a big help. We had 3 active crew members (the other was pregant so not active!) which I think makes a big difference on the canal sections with all the locks as someone is free to go on ahead to set locks up, and we had a very good method worked out (which meant tardebigge took not much more than 2 1/2 hours). With just two I think the canal sections would take an awful lot longer so consequently significantly longer days would be needed.

Off topic, but I'd be tweaking the canal plan defaults if it was telling me that 4 counties needs 9.5 hours per day. With 4 active crew members 4 counties is a stroll in a week.

Edit to add: Hadn't spotted that OP is a first timer, in which case with just two I wouldn't even consider trying to get round the Avon Ring. You need to be pretty efficient through all the locks on the canal sections and (without being patronising) it's inevitable that it takes a while for someone new to figure out an efficient method that works well for them. Some of the locks on the Avon have also got slightly awkward approaches/departures and you've got to faff on with ropes front and back in each one which again isn't going to be easy with just two who haven't done it before. So all in all in the OP's shoes I'd definitely be doing Stourport.

Edited by Spesh

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree that the Avon ring is do-able in a week. I did it a few years ago from Wootton Wawen(admittedly with a crew of six) and we had time to extend it via Gas Street Basin and Camp Hill locks and still get back on time. Fantastic week ... lots of boating and not too much stopping for sight seeing which suits me fine!

You'll have a great holiday whichever way you go ... I hope the rivers aren't in flood!

Nick

I did the Avon ring a couple of years ago in a little over a week but it's tough work (in my opinion). Tardebigge and Lapworth locks were a little too much for my liking. I did enjoy it once on the Avon though (although I wouldn't want to do just the Avon part in a week).

As has been mentioned before, another option is to go up the Worcester & Birmingham and down the Droitwich. Once back on the Severn you could then head up to Stourport and up the canal a little before turning round. It gives a good mix of river and canal cruising (together with river and canal locks).

You are very restricted by what the river is doing. If it is in flood you don't get the choice of risking a journey out on the river. They padlock the locks out onto it and none of the river locks operate.

Dave