Barton and Tattenhill locks and Trent at Alrewas

Mrs Trackman

Featured Posts

Our planned trip along the Trent and Mersey this weekend was delayed when we heard that Barton and Tattenhill locks were not going to reopen on the planned date of Friday.The latest e mail suggests they will be reopening on Wednesday. I wondered if anyone else is waiting, (Kiwidad maybe?) and if anyone had heard an update locally. We also need to cross the Trent at Alrewas and again would appreciate any local knowledge about the levels. We are hoping we can cross the Trent and go through the locks on Wednesday. Thanks in anticipation.

EA Kings Bromley

Trent at Drakelow level

This is the EA meter at Kings Bromley and then Drakelow.

Alrewas sits between these so it looks like it should be open by now or later today.

I would get through as soon as possible though, as we are forecast lots more rain for Wednesday going into Thursday :angry:

...and yes, Kiwidadmum are preparing for their final sprint to the Banter.

Edited by matty40s

Our planned trip along the Trent and Mersey this weekend was delayed when we heard that Barton and Tattenhill locks were not going to reopen on the planned date of Friday.The latest e mail suggests they will be reopening on Wednesday. I wondered if anyone else is waiting, (Kiwidad maybe?) and if anyone had heard an update locally. We also need to cross the Trent at Alrewas and again would appreciate any local knowledge about the levels. We are hoping we can cross the Trent and go through the locks on Wednesday. Thanks in anticipation.a

We are sitting at Barton Marina witing to get through.

We are sitting at Barton Marina witing to get through.

Just in case anyone is going Trent through Nottingham, stoke etc there was a three knot flow on last night when I was out, fine for me but could be fun on a n/b :cheers:

Tim

Went down to Barton Lock and spoke to C&RT guys (sitting in a truck drinking tea)

Job is finished and they are tidying up. The lock will be open at 8am on Wednesday as promised (and I will be going through at that time).

No the problem is will the Trent be closed? Predictions Matty?

Also Matty, Whats the buzz with the Soar? The EA site shows a warning for the lower Soar, but its been there for days.

Also Matty, Whats the buzz with the Soar? The EA site shows a warning for the lower Soar, but its been there for days.

Soar was high at Syston on Sunday (3.30pm) maybe 6" higher than normal levels & coloured. Had dropped during the day around 3".

Would suspect its fine, EA gauges seem to confim this - Interesting is the Pillings gauge that either suffered a malfunction or the flood sluice got jammed again resulting in a major drop in levels ....

ChartImage.jpg?Id=348&ChartType=Graph

Went down to Barton Lock and spoke to C&RT guys (sitting in a truck drinking tea)

Job is finished and they are tidying up. The lock will be open at 8am on Wednesday as promised (and I will be going through at that time).

No the problem is will the Trent be closed? Predictions Matty?

it was still red this morning but one boat went downstream. should be inn amber tommorow before the next deluge arrives.

Thanks everyone for interesting updates. Family commitments mean we are unable to move again till Wednesday and the forecast is bad for then so hoping Trent goes down enough at Alrewas to let us cross before it comes back up again. However after seeing the amount of water everywhere along the Trent valley from the train today it does seem doubtful. The Trent through Nottingham looked positively wild.

- Interesting is the Pillings gauge that either suffered a malfunction or the flood sluice got jammed again resulting in a major drop in levels ....

Interesting when I looked at the levels for the Aire at Castleford yesterday it showed the same type of sudden 'dip' and recovery....

ChartImage.jpg?Id=515&ChartType=Graph

Alrewas river section on 'proceed with caution' today.

Thankyou very much 'Midnight Rider', that is great news. We plan to set out early tomorrow and hope it is still open, the forecast rain for tonight and the next couple of days make me think we'll not be making it onto the Trent further down even if we make Alrewas before it rises again.

We met Kiwidad as we passed Weston lock on our way into Shardlow earlier today.

He came down a while after us to get diesel at Dobsons, he then headed back towards Mercia, to leave his boat for a few days, I believe.

We are now moored up waiting for the floods to subside so we can go down the Trent. We may be some time! We walked to Derwent Mouth this pm to find the Trent about 2ft below the canal, over the lower section of the lock moorings and rising.

The path to the Horse Bridge was Impassable, so we still haven't used the thing!

Clue

clue, i called kd to let him know that sawley was probably about do-able.

He told me he had broken down and explained symptons.

His answer to the next question was 3" , which we know, isn't enough.

I always underestimate :P

And now I am in Mercia Marina (shudder) Coming to visit tomorrow, and staying in Travellodge

Edited by Kiwidad