Taylors 079 D Diesel Boat Heater

Featured Posts

Hi folks, what is the general consensus about the above diesel heater ?It would not be the main source of heating just a back up. I ask the question becauce I think I may of dropped a b@@@@ck and bought a 7 kw wood burning stove that apparently can not burn coal and im afraid I will not be able to keep it in all night on wood, plus carrying enough wood would take up god knows how much room. this hopefully is the link to the stove http://www.corinium-stoves.co.uk/products/?cat=1&subcat=1&type=2&brand=36&product=207 any thoughts please cheers.

Edited by coventrylad

Hi.

I have two stoves on my barge, one is a Rayburn and burns mixed fuel but the other is a "Tradition" woodburner and is strictly a woodburner. This was for a few years the only functioning heater on the boat and would quite happily stay alight for 10 to 12 hours if stuffed with good hardwood logs and closed down tight.

Have you actually tried to get it to burn all night yet? and have you tried different wood? Another thing, if it is a true woodburner it will probably need to get a good bed of ash in the bottom before it will stay "in" for its maximum duration. I find that I only need to empty the ash out about every month or so....when you start having trouble getting enough logs in! :cheers:

Hi folks, what is the general consensus about the above diesel heater ?It would not be the main source of heating just a back up. I ask the question becauce I think I may of dropped a b@@@@ck and bought a 7 kw wood burning stove that apparently can not burn coal and im afraid I will not be able to keep it in all night on wood, plus carrying enough wood would take up god knows how much room. this hopefully is the link to the stove http://www.corinium-...=36&product=207 any thoughts please cheers.

We have used Taylors 79D stoves on our boats for the past 25 years - but we have not come across many other narrowboats fitted with them..

In Daedalus, one stove keeps the whole living space (approx. 34 feet long) at a comfortable temperature in all but the coldest weather - the saloon being very warm and the bedroom being a good temperature for sleeping.

Very simple design (just fit a decent needle valve for flow regulation) but any spares are horrendously expensive (but seldom needed).

Chris G

Did you mean your link to be this one?

http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/specpages/taylor079d.htm

No my link was to the wood burning stove I have, your link is to the Tayors diesel stove, but thanks.

We have used Taylors 79D stoves on our boats for the past 25 years - but we have not come across many other narrowboats fitted with them..

In Daedalus, one stove keeps the whole living space (approx. 34 feet long) at a comfortable temperature in all but the coldest weather - the saloon being very warm and the bedroom being a good temperature for sleeping.

Very simple design (just fit a decent needle valve for flow regulation) but any spares are horrendously expensive (but seldom needed).

Chris G

The Taylors appears to be a quality stove at £1400 it should be! The plan is if we are too lazy or unable to keep the wood burner in all night then we could revert to the taylor. You are right I have never seen them fitted to narrowboats hence my question, just curious if its the cost or because there not very good as to why we see so few on the inland water way. :cheers:

Hi.

I have two stoves on my barge, one is a Rayburn and burns mixed fuel but the other is a "Tradition" woodburner and is strictly a woodburner. This was for a few years the only functioning heater on the boat and would quite happily stay alight for 10 to 12 hours if stuffed with good hardwood logs and closed down tight.

Have you actually tried to get it to burn all night yet? and have you tried different wood? Another thing, if it is a true woodburner it will probably need to get a good bed of ash in the bottom before it will stay "in" for its maximum duration. I find that I only need to empty the ash out about every month or so....when you start having trouble getting enough logs in! :cheers:

Thank you for the reply, im just concernd about the amout of wood i would need to carry, I am also looking at the rayburn royale or regent :cheers:

Now you've explained a bit more I can see I was a bit off beam with my reply, Strangely enough I have been toying with the idea of converting my Rayburn oven to oil for a few years now. Trouble is I have a source of wood off cuts from a furniture manufacturer, I get about 10 or 12 sacks a week and it only costs me a carton of fags and a case of beer at Christmas. I will probably only change when I get too feeble to carry the sacks. :unsure:

You still might be surprised how economical the log burner can be though. :cheers:

we must have been typing at the same time. strangely its a Rayburn Royal I have as my multifuel stove, I have found that the Rayburn uses a lot more fuel than the log burner (which I Think is 12Kw) and does not give the same amount of heat unless burning hard coal. obviously because of my free wood I don't burn coal very often. It does have the fringe benefits of hot water and cooking plus running a couple of rads in the wheelhouse. I have never managed to get it to burn for longer than about 6 hours at a time :cheers:

The Taylors appears to be a quality stove at £1400 it should be! The plan is if we are too lazy or unable to keep the wood burner in all night then we could revert to the taylor. You are right I have never seen them fitted to narrowboats hence my question, just curious if its the cost or because there not very good as to why we see so few on the inland water way. :cheers:

I suspect that the extraordinary cost is the reason why they are not more commonly found in narrowboats. In real terms, I think that they are probably about twice the price now than they were when we bought our last one 19 years ago.

Once you get the knack of managing one, they are very reliable and ideal for putting on for a few hours to warm the saloon area - but leave the front door open, otherwise much of the heat goes up the flue!

PM me if you want some helpful hints about lighting and running one.

Chris G

I have a Taylors but, to be honest, by the time it starts kicking any meaningful heat I could have a woodburner roaring onpallet wood, ready to be damped down with some hardwood logs.

The advantage with the Taylors is its portability from boat to boat and its ability to warm a smallish space without cooking the occupants.

thank you very much Batavia and Carlt. could I ask you both please did you mount the heater on any form of insulated board and does the chimney get hot ? does this need any form of insulation behind it, or would it be ok to mount it on a wooden bulkhead ? im guessing not. thank you both again. :cheers:

Edited by coventrylad

Now you've explained a bit more I can see I was a bit off beam with my reply, Strangely enough I have been toying with the idea of converting my Rayburn oven to oil for a few years now. Trouble is I have a source of wood off cuts from a furniture manufacturer, I get about 10 or 12 sacks a week and it only costs me a carton of fags and a case of beer at Christmas. I will probably only change when I get too feeble to carry the sacks. :unsure:

You still might be surprised how economical the log burner can be though. :cheers:

we must have been typing at the same time. strangely its a Rayburn Royal I have as my multifuel stove, I have found that the Rayburn uses a lot more fuel than the log burner (which I Think is 12Kw) and does not give the same amount of heat unless burning hard coal. obviously because of my free wood I don't burn coal very often. It does have the fringe benefits of hot water and cooking plus running a couple of rads in the wheelhouse. I have never managed to get it to burn for longer than about 6 hours at a time :cheers:

hi John, thank you for the reply, I would be interested to no what length flue you have on your rayburn, and am surprissed you can not keep it in longer than 6 hours, i guess that is on wood ? surely on coal it would stay in all night. :cheers:

thank you very much Batavia and Carlt. could I ask you both please did you mount the heater on any form of insulated board and does the chimney get hot ? does this need any form of insulation behind it, or would it be ok to mount it on a wooden bulkhead ? im guessing not. thank you both again. :cheers:

The heater has an insulated back assembly and is then spaced off the surface on which you mount it by about 12mm by its mounting flange. My stoves are mounted on "tiles on wood". The tiles don't get very hot at all.

The flue, on the other hand, gets exceedingly hot, and at one time Taylors used to sell a guard for it - similar to those supplied by other diesel stove manufacturers (but probably 4 times the price). If you don't use a guard, make sure that the flue isn't anywhere where someone might grab hold of it (A frinded did this on his boat and apparently it was not a nice experience).

Chris G

hi John, thank you for the reply, I would be interested to no what length flue you have on your rayburn, and am surprissed you can not keep it in longer than 6 hours, i guess that is on wood ? surely on coal it would stay in all night. :cheers:

Hi there, Yes it was on wood that it won't stay in long, trouble is I have found that normally you need large logs to burn a long time whereas the Rayburn's fire box is fairly small, also my free wood supply is all small offcuts and burns hot but fast. You are right that on coal or smokeless fuel its no problem.

The flue is approx 3 metres with 2 45 degree bends to give a small offset (it's fitted in a converted Humber barge) the exterior section is a home made double skin (9" dia 1/4" wall pipe welded to the deck with a lagged 6" enameled inside, sealed with high temp. silicon) :cheers:

The heater has an insulated back assembly and is then spaced off the surface on which you mount it by about 12mm by its mounting flange. My stoves are mounted on "tiles on wood". The tiles don't get very hot at all.

Likewise except I had stainless sheet behind mine, rather than tiles.

It's currently in a cardboard box waiting for the next wheelhouse.

• 9 months later...

Hi folks, what is the general consensus about the above diesel heater ?It would not be the main source of heating just a back up. I ask the question becauce I think I may of dropped a b@@@@ck and bought a 7 kw wood burning stove that apparently can not burn coal and im afraid I will not be able to keep it in all night on wood, plus carrying enough wood would take up god knows how much room. this hopefully is the link to the stove http://www.corinium-stoves.co.uk/products/?cat=1&subcat=1&type=2&brand=36&product=207 any thoughts please cheers.

The Zamora is listed as multi-fuel in the Bronpi brochure.