River Thames now officially in full flood

Proper Job

Featured Posts

The EA has a flood warning for Datchet which is on the reach above me, but there's still no warning down here for Old Windsor & Wraysbury.

Datchet was well into flood last night, I have a mate moored just above Kris Cruisers, The water was up to his waist when he returned to the boat last night.

Knowing your engine, I would imagine that Aldebaran has a fairly hefty prop on it and has plenty of grunt. You were going up stream in a controlled way. Coming down would have been a much more exciting direction.

It certainly was with Nuneaton and Brighton!

Keith

Knowing your engine, I would imagine that Aldebaran has a fairly hefty prop on it and has plenty of grunt. You were going up stream in a controlled way. Coming down would have been a much more exciting direction.

It certainly was with Nuneaton and Brighton!

Keith

I came down the Thames shortly after Brighton and Nuneaton when still on red boards. Interesting experience and hairy at times, but very exciting.

Also, they are a lovely looking pair!

Chris on Hayley and I on Tafelberg were caught once on the thames with red boards up and nowhere to Moor. I remember trying to go upstream and at full pelt just standing still, having to back off and then take a different route through the bridge that was near windsor. Going into reverse about 1/2 a mile before Chertsey lock and the entertaining ride down to Teddington at lightning speed.

We are well up at Caversham, Sonning bridge road is closed due to flooding and the Flowing Springs car park is under water

I am very glad we are on rising pontoons, to all who are not take extreme care when out and about please, and make sure your ropes are set correctly

Chris

We are well up at Caversham, Sonning bridge road is closed due to flooding and the Flowing Springs car park is under water

I am very glad we are on rising pontoons, to all who are not take extreme care when out and about please, and make sure your ropes are set correctly

Chris

I had an early finish yesterday (going home in daylight!!) and saw from the train the Eaton Dorney rowing mile has been filled up by the Thames free flowing into it at the T&K Marina entrance.

There won't be any football or rugby happening on the field below Caversham Lock either.

Heart was saying the EA Incident Control at Oxford even had to relocate to a drier carpark!!

So, there are occations when i don't miss living afloat - just not many.

Simon.

I had an early finish yesterday (going home in daylight!!) and saw from the train the Eaton Dorney rowing mile has been filled up by the Thames free flowing into it at the T&K Marina entrance.

There won't be any football or rugby happening on the field below Caversham Lock either.

Heart was saying the EA Incident Control at Oxford even had to relocate to a drier carpark!!

So, there are occations when i don't miss living afloat - just not many.

Simon.

Eton Dorney is in Windsor, T&K Marina is in Reading. Do you mean the Steve Redgrave lake?

Just been issued by the EA:

Dear Boater,

With flood conditions on the River Thames expected to improve soon, we are encouraging customers with boats still moored on the river to check the security of their boat moorings if possible. Please do not put yourself or others at risk, your life is more important than your boat.

As water levels decrease there is a risk that some boats may become caught up on the river bank or mooring structures. If you are able to gain safe access to your boat, we’d urge you to check the position and condition of mooring lines and fendering.

Visit our website for more information on dealing with changing river conditions .

As flood water recedes and river levels come back within the banks, the flow rates will increase in speed. Red strong stream warning boards are currently displayed throughout the river and are likely to be out for some time. Our advice to boaters remains not to navigate because the strong flows make it difficult and dangerous. In addition, boat wash can worsen the situation for properties already at risk of flooding. To keep up to date with the current conditions on the River Thames please visit the River Thames Conditions website.

Extremely cold weather overnight means some areas affected by flooding may now be experiencing frozen floodwater. Frozen flood water next to rivers is dangerous and we urge people not to walk on it. It’s easy to lose your footing on ice, and skid toward the river without any way of stopping yourself.

Boaters, walkers, cyclists and anyone working near a river should also take extra care, watching out for ice and avoiding it wherever possible.

The River Thames is currently very high, very fast, and extremely cold, anyone falling in would immediately find themselves in extreme difficulty. If you see someone in difficulty, call the emergency services on 999 immediately.

The Thames Waterways Team

Stay safe and don't be fooled by the sunshine

Eton Dorney is in Windsor, T&K Marina is in Reading. Do you mean the Steve Redgrave lake?

O, err, yes i mean the Pincent Redgrave Rowing Lake.

Interestingly Google doesn't appear to have redrawn their map yet for it.

And the Thames was still flowing into it on Sunday (pilgrimage to Hamleys and saw the lego Queen).

Simon.