Flood warnings!

DeanS

Featured Posts

Following a day of heavy rain, the Environment Agency has put the following rivers on Flood Alert.

They are:

River Cherwell from Charwelton to just above Upper Heyford

River Cherwell from Lower Heyford down to and including Oxford

River Thame from Marsworth to Dorchester including Long Marston, Rowsham, North Aylesbury, Cuddington, Thame, Shabbington, Ickford, Waterperry, Cuddesdon, Wheatley, Quarrendon, Drayton St Leonard, Overy

Chalgrove Brook at Chalgrove and Stadhampton

River Thames and its tributaries from Days Lock to above Pangbourne

River Thames and tributaries from Buscot Wick down to Kings Lock

River Ock from Watchfield to Abingdon

Letcombe Brook at Wantage, Grove and East Hanney

Clanfield Brook for Clanfield Village

Shill Brook for Bampton

Sor Brook and The Bloxham Brook and their tributaries

River Evenlode from Moreton in Marsh to Cassington

River Glyme at Wootton and Woodstock

Ginge Brook for the Steventon area down to and including Sutton Courtenay

River Ray and its tributaries from Shipton Lee to and including Islip

Langford and Wendlebury Brooks from Stratton Audley down to near Merton, including Bicester and Wendlebury

Flood alerts are where the agency fears the river may break its banks.

Great Western canal breach...more info here....

article-2235946-1626F21B000005DC-878_634x421.jpg

article-2235946-16256B31000005DC-982_634x387.jpg

Edited by DeanS

Following a day of heavy rain, the Environment Agency has put the following rivers on Flood Alert.

They are:

River Cherwell from Charwelton to just above Upper Heyford

River Cherwell from Lower Heyford down to and including Oxford

River Thame from Marsworth to Dorchester including Long Marston, Rowsham, North Aylesbury, Cuddington, Thame, Shabbington, Ickford, Waterperry, Cuddesdon, Wheatley, Quarrendon, Drayton St Leonard, Overy

Chalgrove Brook at Chalgrove and Stadhampton

River Thames and its tributaries from Days Lock to above Pangbourne

River Thames and tributaries from Buscot Wick down to Kings Lock

River Ock from Watchfield to Abingdon

Letcombe Brook at Wantage, Grove and East Hanney

Clanfield Brook for Clanfield Village

Shill Brook for Bampton

Sor Brook and The Bloxham Brook and their tributaries

River Evenlode from Moreton in Marsh to Cassington

River Glyme at Wootton and Woodstock

Ginge Brook for the Steventon area down to and including Sutton Courtenay

River Ray and its tributaries from Shipton Lee to and including Islip

Langford and Wendlebury Brooks from Stratton Audley down to near Merton, including Bicester and Wendlebury

Flood alerts are where the agency fears the river may break its banks.

Great Western canal breach...more info here....

article-2235946-1626F21B000005DC-878_634x421.jpg

article-2235946-16256B31000005DC-982_634x387.jpg

I would particularly like to comment on the last pic. In many flood situations that I have witnessed over the years motorists have made life worse for those who are flooded by the bow wave swamping doorways etc.

On the Thames where I moor (between Old Windsor and Bell Weir locks) is a few inches lower than the highest I've seen it over the last 2 years. It's supposed to rain heavily all day tomorrow so I reckon it could rise another foot.

There's a sh1t load of water on it's way down to you as well. The levels on the lower Cherwell are still rising dispite having stopped raining (for a while).

The local boaters closed the flood gate at Shipton bridge (B 220) at 2:30 last night as the canal at Thrupp was flooding

There's a sh1t load of water on it's way down to you as well. The levels on the lower Cherwell are still rising dispite having stopped raining (for a while).

The local boaters closed the flood gate at Shipton bridge (B 220) at 2:30 last night as the canal at Thrupp was flooding

gallery_13352_865_46079.jpg

Bridge 220 Oxford Canal 0700 23/11/2012 looking towards Shipton weir lock

Canal flooding over the towpath after the stop gate was shut at 0230 the previous night. Water flowing over the stop gate as well as over the towpath into the already flooded adjoining field.

Indeed that was one hell of an evening...

Picture as of this morning. EA reports river levels have dropped slightly but there was a lot of rain last night that hasn't made it to us yet.

The latest info is here:

link

link

............. and CRT have just caught on that the flood gate has been shut

Closure between Shipton Bridge 220, and Shipton Weir Lock 41

Friday 23 November 2012 until further notice Navigation is not possible between bridge 220 and Shipton weir lock due to heavy rainful which has resulted in the closure of local flood gates. This closure will remain until further notice.

Edited by Proper Job

The latest info is here:

link

link

............. and CRT have just caught on that the flood gate has been shut

Closure between Shipton Bridge 220, and Shipton Weir Lock 41

Friday 23 November 2012 until further notice Navigation is not possible between bridge 220 and Shipton weir lock due to heavy rainful which has resulted in the closure of local flood gates. This closure will remain until further notice.

According to one person who spoke to CRT to suggest they came and shut the stop gate ASAP - they didn't know anything about it!

Of course we will be receiving a box of chocolates from the residents of Thrupp for helping to keep their carpets dry ;)

H

The forecast for tomorrow looks really bad - almost 24 hours of heavy rain is predicted which will just add to the already high water levels. It's at times like this I'm glad I've got a 90kg anchor + chain out in front of my boat. It helps pull the boat away from the bank when the levels rise and the current gets going which means I won't end up over the bank if it floods. I've got some vertical scaffold poles there too so it's belt and braces. However, when I originally put the anchor out there I never considered that where the warp came up to the boat it would catch all the weed and debris coming past in the current and get dragged under the bow of the boat. This makes it quite difficult to know exactly how much slack there is and how much much to pull up and tie off. Any suggestions?

The water level is up to the paving stones now, so it would have to go up another 2ft before the scaffold poles come into play.

IMG00081-20100720-1449.jpg

Edited by blackrose

The forecast for tomorrow looks really bad - almost 24 hours of heavy rain is predicted which will just add to the already high water levels. It's at times like this I'm glad I've got a 90kg anchor + chain out in front of my boat. It helps pull the boat away from the bank when the levels rise and the current gets going which means I won't end up over the bank if it floods. I've got some vertical scaffold poles there too so it's belt and braces. However, when I originally put the anchor out there I never considered that where the warp came up to the boat it would catch all the weed and debris coming past in the current and get dragged under the bow of the boat. This makes it quite difficult to know exactly how much slack there is and how much much to pull up and tie off. Any suggestions?

CarlT did mention to me the other day to maybe put the anchor in the channel, but with some of the massive branches and debris coming down, I am glad I didn't, as half a tree tangled in the anchor rope may have caused more problems than I already had.

CarlT did mention to me the other day to maybe put the anchor in the channel, but with some of the massive branches and debris coming down, I am glad I didn't, as half a tree tangled in the anchor rope may have caused more problems than I already had.

Most of the big stuff that comes down the river tends to be in the middle where the current is fastest. As I'm on an island away from the bank the flow is still strong and I suppose it could happen.

Edited by blackrose