Paint schemes

Farey

Featured Posts

I've nearly finished fitting out my boat (60' narrowboat) and its going in for painting next month. Now I need to decide on a paint scheme.

Has anyone used a computer program for trying out paint schemes, to get an idea of how they will look?

I've been told that dark blues and greens fade least, and reds an yellows are the worse. But light colours are best for keeping the boat cool in summer ...

Anyone got any general tips on paint schemes?

I've been told that dark blues and greens fade least, and reds an yellows are the worse. But light colours are best for keeping the boat cool in summer...

Yeah, id go along with that!

Dark colours will get serously hot in summer, our boat is med-green, and on a hot day even 2/3hours of sun the roof is unbearable to sit/walk/kneal on.

Reds yellows are worse for fading, but the red on our boat still looked defforntaly red before we repainted this year. And its been on for 7years now.

Personaly, i like the more tradianal look, simular to that ouf our boat. The more simplistic/moderistic schemes are ok, but somehow lack character!

- I also feel the thinner coachlines look betters. Ours are about 12-15mm diameter, where as to norm seams to be closer to 25mm now. (the width of a roll of masking tape i beleave)

Heres a photo of our boat.

emilyanne%20at%20tarleton.jpg

Daniel

Yeah, id go along with that!

Dark colours will get serously hot in summer, our boat is med-green, and on a hot day even 2/3hours of sun the roof is unbearable to sit/walk/kneal on.

Reds yellows are worse for fading, but the red on our boat still looked defforntaly red before we repainted this year. And its been on for 7years now.

Personaly, i like the more tradianal look, simular to that ouf our boat. The more simplistic/moderistic schemes are ok, but somehow lack character!

- I also feel the thinner coachlines look betters. Ours are about 12-15mm diameter, where as to norm seams to be closer to 25mm now. (the width of a roll of masking tape i beleave)

Heres a photo of our boat.

emilyanne%20at%20tarleton.jpg

Daniel

Nice mooring!

Nice mooring!

Yeah, its a bit good isnt it! :angry:

- They where in the middle of re-edging it (see digger) Dreding the bank to about 45degrees, then a flatish bit about 8ft wide, before going up to field leval, where they planned to put a fence.

- Prevously it was really shallow, and a very undefined, wavy, edge. With each resdent moorer installing there own curious looking landing stadges! We needed the full lenght of our 8ft plank in order to reach the best looking unused rickety old landing stage.

- And the system for shore lines was two or three 13amp unarmoured extentions cable thrown accross the canalbed, each terminating in a daisy chain of about 4 muiltway addapters, all left out in the elements, most trampled on by cattle! The also triped out about twice a day...

But yeah, its was geting much smarter by the time we left!

Hi we think that we have settled on dark blue,but because of the heat problem ,we will be painting the roof cream.

Yeah, thats a quite a nice comprmise i guess. You see quite a number of boats painted like that.

- And with the "trad-stlye" handrail things to define the boundray between the two colours, it looks ok.

Daniel

The most important thing, whatever you decide on colour, don't use gloss paint on the roof. There isn't one builder out there that can make a do one to the standard required for gloss paint.

Although that said, we've used "gloss" on our roof, even tho the majorty of the welding is "agricultural" at best.

- I looks like a bit of a ploud field. But we dont really mind, and half od its covered with pole/plank/lifering/aerials/wood/etc (all statigicaly placed over the joins...)

Daniel

Except that Emily Anne is currently moored in a nice spot on the Thames.

Or was at least when we passed by last week... twice!

Cheers, Mike

Yeah, she gets about a bit, Tarleton, Thames, its all the same to us! :angry:

- And btw, we have arranged with the EA to leave the boat there for the 3weeks till the rally, we're not just taking the piss! (its a 24h mooring)

Daniel

The most important thing, whatever you decide on colour, don't use gloss paint on the roof. There isn't one builder out there that can make a do one to the standard required for gloss paint.

I would have had no reservations using gloss on my LB wide beam. the roof was almost flawless and the cross welds were only made on the underside, against the roof hoop stiffeners. Not a sign of a weld or distortion anywhere except a couple of small impact dinges that had been filled.

But who wants gloss on the roof? I used a proper deck paint which went on smooth but dried with a rough matt profile. Pale green-grey. Fit to walk on. :angry:

I would have had no reservations using gloss on my LB wide beam. the roof was almost flawless and the cross welds were only made on the underside, against the roof hoop stiffeners. Not a sign of a weld or distortion anywhere except a couple of small impact dinges that had been filled.

But who wants gloss on the roof? I used a proper deck paint which went on smooth but dried with a rough matt profile. Pale green-grey. Fit to walk on. :angry:

this may sound thick,but can you paint over the top of that,or is it the matt profile that gives it the non slip properties ?

But who wants gloss on the roof?

Not me - it's bad enough when the sun is in your eyes because it's low in the sky, without doubling the brightness with the reflection off the roof. It was impossible to see where we were going. :P

Non-slip paint can be painted over.

- However, each time you do, its gets less non-slip...

- Its also an absolute bugger to remove, always!

Hence why the only place i would use non-slip paint on a narrowboat would be the gunnels/walkways at the side of the boat.

- On our boat we dont have any, which is fine, becuase the walkways are MUCH wider, and have a large lip at the edge as well.

Daniel