Shur-flo Water Pumps

andrew

Featured Posts

Has anyone had problems with Shur-flo domestic water pumps? I am about to return my second one - both were new and had problems with leaks from the same place on the pump casing. I have asked on our yard and two people say they have had the same problem. Are there any other types that are more reliable?

Has anyone had problems with Shur-flo domestic water pumps? I am about to return my second one - both were new and had problems with leaks from the same place on the pump casing. I have asked on our yard and two people say they have had the same problem. Are there any other types that are more reliable?

If the component has been bought from the same source, about the same time, the chances are that it is a batch problem and the whole lot should be withdrawn.

It is possible to massively improve the performance of Sureflow pumps by fitting a better quality pressure switch to the system and a pressure gauge while you are at it so you can see what's going on, the problem with leakage may well be a result of running at too high a pressure.

We've had two shurflos, the first one did about 12years, before developing a tiny hole in the diafram, which although not preventing it fuctioning, caused it to cycal on and off about every 20minutes, getting gradually worst duing about 6months.

- The replament diafram was out of stock at the time, so we bought a whole new one, which had worked faultlessly for the following 3 years.

Sounds like your boat yard has got a duff batch. Not ideal, but it happens. And i havent heard any other insedents of shurflos failing prematurely before. Which considering there quite possably the most common pump used on narrowboats is quite a good track record.

As john says, the presure switch is crude, and you can improve the performance by using a 3rd party presure switch. (and accumulator/expantion tank)

- However, the supplyed switch is perfectly affective as far as ive ever seen, and certainly we seam to do ok off it!

Daniel

...had exactly the same problem with our leaking from the diagraphm. it's been replaced with another (quieter) manufacturer, but can't remember what make off the top of my head.

It had only been installed about 3 or 4months, so maybe it was what I'd call an "early life failure" in my trade... For some reason while we were moored up by Fezzy-park in Etruria on a saturday afternoon boating trip, I felt the urge to have a look at it. I'd only been in there a few hours before as the pump is in a storage hole under the front deck, and it was ok then. Strange how these things happen, no sign of water in the boat, just me having a feeling to go and check it.

I did manage to get a replacement just before my local friendly boat builder went home and before we set off for the Caldon - where it would have been slightly less convenient!

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by hnb2907

• 2 weeks later...

Shurflo's always seem to leak from between the two plastic end casing parts - usually after the winter (frost?)

I must admit that was a symptom on the one that was on the boat when we bought it. (Solution by previous owner - put a tea vtowel under the leak :blush: )

I think I saw in a post about Moley's progress that his water pump had leaked. Think that was a Sureflo, so it will be interesting to hear if it was a new one he'd bought, or something surviving from the boat's original equipment.

There does seem to be aq bit of a theme about leaking Sureflos, doesn't there ?

Unfortunately I replaced like with like, after failed attempts to repair original. OK so far, but undoubtedly noisy!.......

I think I saw in a post about Moley's progress that his water pump had leaked. Think that was a Sureflo, so it will be interesting to hear if it was a new one he'd bought, or something surviving from the boat's original equipment.

Hi folks, sorry but we're back.

Yes indeed, got many panicked calls from inside to say "pull over, there's water everywhere."

While trying to 'park' I managed to get back from them that it was coming from inside front steps, which is where the water pump and accumulator live.

It was the original Shurflo, 12 years old, which I had re-fitted, and the aluminium casting had corroded through.

Couldn't get one in Market Drayton ("sorry mate, sold my last one a few days ago, gotta get some more in") but picked one up at Norbury the next day. Replaced like-for-like, but new one's much quieter and pressure seems better, even though the old one was bigger.

Bet you're glad you took the time strip and paint the cabin floors properly, Moley. Blimin' water pumps - had a similar problem on my Avon Ring trip, unfortunately there are far fewer chandleries on that route.

I've put my new pump in a waterproof box, with a water alarm, 'just in case'!

Edited by Breals

I've put my new pump in a waterproof box, with a water alarm, 'just in case'!

How do you attach the pump to the box & box to the floor?

Also, if the pump leaks and you switch it off, will it continue to leak or does it have to cycle to leak?

Edited by blackrose

The pump is attached to a piece of wood which the accumulator tank is also screwed to. This assembly is just 'resting' in a plastic underbed storage box, which fits perfectly into the gap under my bow.

If the pump leaks, I will turn the water system off and close the supply tap. I would then run the sink taps to drain off as much water as possible and reduce pressure in the accumulator tank. The box is large enough to hold the remaining water if it leaks out through the pump or a bad hose connection.

I only leave the water system on while aboard and always turn it off at night.

I cut out the floorboards under the water system, which I have managed to concentrate in one location against the kitchen/bathroom bulkhead. I built in a plywood tray between the steel flooring stiffeners and lined it with GRP. My drains all run to a shower pump box that is located in the tray. The water pump, accumulators and calorifier are all located directly above the tray. If there are any leaks I have about 20 litres capacity before it floods the rest of the boat. The tray, and all the water system, is immediately accessed in one of the kitchen base unit cupboards, so it can be checked every day just by opening a cupboard door.

I cut out the floorboards under the water system, which I have managed to concentrate in one location against the kitchen/bathroom bulkhead. I built in a plywood tray between the steel flooring stiffeners and lined it with GRP. My drains all run to a shower pump box that is located in the tray. The water pump, accumulators and calorifier are all located directly above the tray. If there are any leaks I have about 20 litres capacity before it floods the rest of the boat. The tray, and all the water system, is immediately accessed in one of the kitchen base unit cupboards, so it can be checked every day just by opening a cupboard door.

Interesting setup. I can't quite picture it. It must be a bloody big tray you've built! You've got the whole system in one area but you must have plumbing coming from your tank to the system. It's the bit before the water pump which works on gravity that concerns me.

Anyway, I'm starting to get quite paranoic about freshwater leaks - since I've brought 300+ gallons of water onto the boat it seems wise to take precautions so that it stays where it's supposed to.

My neighbour's cat managed to turn on a bath tap while they were out (don't ask me how?) For some reason they'd left the plug in and the water pump on, and when they returned the contents of their tank were in their bilges.

I always turn my water pump off when I'm out. When I'm in and at night I will hear any leaks down system from the pump because it's under the bed.

I'm also going to mastic in a short section of angle iron between the cross bearers at the bow nearest the tank to act as a mini bulkhead where a bilge pump is going - that's also for any bowthruster leaks. I'm not sure if those bearers extend as far as the sides, probably not (Chris, you would know this one?). If not I'll extend them with a couple more bits of angle & mastic.

And I'll follow others advice & put the waterpump in a rectangular washing up bowl with a water alarm (£5 from Maplins).

I suppose if I'm out I could still get a leak at a joint before the water pump, but you can only do so much.

Edited by blackrose

. I'm not sure if those bearers extend as far as the sides, probably not (Chris, you would know this one?).

yes, but there is a 'limber hole' at each end (i.e. the lower corner is cut off) and anyway they are not fully welded to the bottom.

Hi Blackrose.

This is in no way a critisicm but (you knew it was coming) there are thousands of homes in this country all with a water supply that is constantly pumped (mains) that do not turn off the water at any time whether at home or away.

Yes they do sometimes come home to wet carpets but in the way of things many more do not.

I think what I am trying to say is, yes it can happen but do not get 'paranoid' and if it does happpen then there will be some inconvenience, just ensure the insurance is up to date. :P

Better to be safe than sorry, now where was I :blush:

When I am cruising and leave the boat for several hours I never turn of the water, never turn off the electrics, never turn off the gas, the gas fridge stays on from when I leave the marina to when I return. Twenty five years and never had a water or gas leak, never even a blown fuse, never once failed to reach a destination.

Every time something new comes on the market, push together plumbing, electronic toys of all kinds, everyone rushes to embrace it. Perfectly competent boat builders at some point decide that they are also consultant standard electrical engineers, plumbers and automotive engineers every-one rushes to sit at their feet.

It never seems to occur to anyone that a builder may use silly plumbing systems because they are cheap to buy and install, equally with diverse things like water pumps and engines.

Could all those people be the same ones who a decade later complain of wet carpets, swamped boats, destroyed electrics and wrecked gearboxes.

When I am cruising and leave the boat for several hours I never turn of the water, never turn off the electrics, never turn off the gas, the gas fridge stays on from when I leave the marina to when I return. Twenty five years and never had a water or gas leak, never even a blown fuse, never once failed to reach a destination.

Every time something new comes on the market, push together plumbing, electronic toys of all kinds, everyone rushes to embrace it. Perfectly competent boat builders at some point decide that they are also consultant standard electrical engineers, plumbers and automotive engineers every-one rushes to sit at their feet.

It never seems to occur to anyone that a builder may use silly plumbing systems because they are cheap to buy and install, equally with diverse things like water pumps and engines.

Could all those people be the same ones who a decade later complain of wet carpets, swamped boats, destroyed electrics and wrecked gearboxes.

still in character then John, even after your farewell tour of England :blush::P:D

yes, but there is a 'limber hole' at each end (i.e. the lower corner is cut off) and anyway they are not fully welded to the bottom.

No, but a bead of marineflex along the bottom should seal it up.

Hi Blackrose.

This is in no way a critisicm but (you knew it was coming) there are thousands of homes in this country all with a water supply that is constantly pumped (mains) that do not turn off the water at any time whether at home or away.

Yes they do sometimes come home to wet carpets but in the way of things many more do not.

I think what I am trying to say is, yes it can happen but do not get 'paranoid' and if it does happpen then there will be some inconvenience, just ensure the insurance is up to date. :angry:

Better to be safe than sorry, now where was I :angry:

Major inconvenience I'd say: wet carpets, warped floorboards, ruined kitched units, sodden furniture. No thanks. Also

I suppose the house analogy is relevant, except that water will drain from a flooded house whereas once it gets wet under your ballast it stays damp (unless the ballast is raised).

Anyway, I'd rather take some precautions now while I'm fitting out (however paranoid or over the top), than come home to a flooded boat one day.

Edited by blackrose

But I wonder if you would take any precautions if you were out overnight? How about a weekend? So what's the difference? I can't say I turn the water pump off if I'm just popping out, but it might only take a couple of hours to have a flood.

New equipment that comes onto the market is usually made to British or European standards. The stuff you use now was also new once and I'm sure someone somewhere slagged it off preferring to use something more traditional, but you found it useful. Of course some new products are crap but I think you're generalising a bit.

Not paranoid. Sensible! Should they occur you'll know about any water leaks and be able to deal with them before your cabin bilges get wet - avoiding the need to do lots of mopping out, and avoiding the worry of having water slopping about down there possibly causing corrosion.

Wish I had thought of all this before my waterpump bust. Now I have to lift the floorboards and clean up / repaint the top of the base plate.

A neighbour had a rat gnaw through his waterpipes, and the pump delivered 40 gallons of water into his bilges. It pays to take precautions!

Edited by Breals