Moxley Ropeworks

Heartland

Featured Posts

Moxley is on the BCN Walsall Canal. I came across an advertisement for Moxley Ropeworks requiring a person for their boat line department. This was in 1875, but I wonder how many firms produced ropes for canal boats and if local demand led to the establishment of such premises. Ropeworks in those days were often open air affairs with the ropes being made along poles fixed along a straight piece of ground.

Ray Shill

Moxley is on the BCN Walsall Canal. I came across an advertisement for Moxley Ropeworks requiring a person for their boat line department. This was in 1875,

Not worth applying, the vacancy will probably have been filled by now.

Ray, I remember going to Moxley rope works with Cliff Sherwood in about 1967 to buy cotton lines for his boat Bellatrix, just as he was setting up as a trip boat on the Staffs & Worces. I remember it as a ramshackle place down a really rough dirt track behind quite a large old house. I think the dirt track is still there, but nothing left of the rope works as it's all built on now.

Ray, I remember going to Moxley rope works with Cliff Sherwood in about 1967 to buy cotton lines for his boat Bellatrix, just as he was setting up as a trip boat on the Staffs & Worces. I remember it as a ramshackle place down a really rough dirt track behind quite a large old house. I think the dirt track is still there, but nothing left of the rope works as it's all built on now.

Almost unbelievably the factory sign still exists pointing down the dirt track by the big house, i'll try and get a photo tomorrow when I go past. It was a ramshackle affair in its last days.

Thanks for those responses, it is remarkable that the sign is still there and it is also remarkable that the firm lasted for so long supplying boaters needs. As for those applying for the job I hope that they "wus not tied up, aer kid"

Ray Shill

In the Lancashire cotton districts cotton lines were a by-product for the rope makers.

Their major customers were the mills. They would need 2" or 2 1/8" X 40 driving ropes for the mill drives and 1" to 1 1/2" for individual machines.

One sad fact is that splicers as a trade have gone as a skilled trade.

There was a major rope walk, Mansleys in Leigh, Lancs. which listed boat lines on their gable end. We had the remains of their stock following a fire. We then frequented the Brittania Rope and Twine company in Edenfield, Bury until they folded. I had the last of their cotton made up into 1/2" cable laid line.

It seems a shame to see off so many firms.

Tim

If you ever get the chance to visit Chatham dockyard, the rope shed is a must (especially if it's running)

Went about a month ago - wasn't running but really interesting. Highly reccommended, as is the rest of the dockyard.

Only downside was I got all excited in the rope shop and came out with a reel of 14mm hempex - don't think I'll need any more rope for a few years (220 metres in a roll!) but less than half the price of Swindlers or their near neighbours.

Went about a month ago - wasn't running but really interesting. Highly reccommended, as is the rest of the dockyard.

Only downside was I got all excited in the rope shop and came out with a reel of 14mm hempex - don't think I'll need any more rope for a few years (220 metres in a roll!) but less than half the price of Swindlers or their near neighbours.

Ooh, ooh... how much?

Richard

Ooh, ooh... how much?

Richard

Swindlers are, I think, about £1.82 per metre, and their mates down the road , again I think, about £1.90. I know everybody has to make a profit, so I've stuck up a sign on my boat to sell it off at £1 per metre , any length. I'll be perfectly honest, it cost me 72p per metre and my mark up is transport, handling, tea and cakes.

No secret, the rope walk has a shop attached, can't remember the web site, but easy enough to find. Pity more groups of boaters in the same area can't get together to take advantage of bulk buying. (I have no connection with the rope walk other than as a customer). Then again, lots of boaters make their rope last for many years.

I just love the feel of new rope - worries my wife a bit though!