Horse boating and get-together at Stone.

oldironsides

Featured Posts

I was always of the opinion that if you wind it on while along side another boat that you would draw that boat toward you hence why when picking up a tow it can be helpfill to put some power on to get the tow off the bank. And between Marston and Fazeley is all on the Coventry canal. Lastly why would you think that a younger person was of less expireance than yourself?

I was always of the opinion that if you wind it on while along side another boat that you would draw that boat toward you hence why when picking up a tow it can be helpfill to put some power on to get the tow off the bank.

Yes, it pulls the front over, but at the same time it pushes the back end closer to the bank, Ok if you are putting a snubber onto a butty (facing the same way) but not if you are passing in opposite directions. I have been put onto the mud too many times by boats speeding up when passing to think otherwise. I had several interesting discussions about this, and how to avoid it, with the late John Forth when we were both tied up many years ago at Thrupp during the Foot and Mouth epidemic.

And between Marston and Fazeley is all on the Coventry canal.

Yes correct, I must have had a senior moment, I am always getting my Fazely an Fradley muddled, not that it would have made any difference in this case!

Lastly why would you think that a younger person was of less expireance than yourself?

I don't. My reference to the age of the steerer was to diffentiate beween that person and the older person on Ilford (presumably either Roger Fuller or his brother). If my reference to the 1960's was interpreted as claiming more expeience, it was not my intention, I used it to demonstrate that I was taught differently by a former working boatman, and I did apologise if my observations appeared to be patronizing.

Edited by David Schweizer

In tunnels, and possibly out of them, putting power on just as the sterns are passing helps pull the fore-end of the passed boat out of the path of the butty I understand. Victorias JP takes so long to get to speed I don't normally get chance to try it! :lol:

When I was passing two boats in Stafford, both ended up stuck on the bottom even though I was bumping and scraping my side in tickover, and they theirs as we just squeezed by. If the cut is too shallow it don't matter how you pass someone.

Mike

In tunnels, and possibly out of them, putting power on just as the sterns are passing helps pull the fore-end of the passed boat out of the path of the butty I understand. Victorias JP takes so long to get to speed I don't normally get chance to try it! :lol:

When I was passing two boats in Stafford, both ended up stuck on the bottom even though I was bumping and scraping my side in tickover, and they theirs as we just squeezed by. If the cut is too shallow it don't matter how you pass someone.

Mike

Yes in the example you quote it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, but not so much when the sides are shallow and the centre deep enough.However, I am not talking about stuatuion where everyone is being as carefuyll as possible, I am talking about passing boats that put the powwer on too soon causing the the front end to pull over and pushing the back end onto the mud where it then stays.

I realise that the configuration of our boat does not help, drawing nearly three feet at the back but only eighteen inches at the front, but that is the same as many empty former working boats, the difference is that they usually have aslow revving, high torque engine and large prop to get them out of trouble, rather than a high revving modern engine with a small prop.

I have learnt to live with it and do not expect hirers and newcomers to understand, but I do expect people operating former working boats to be able to recognise a deep draughted boat and behave accordingly. Of course, perhaps when they see the high bow of our Braunston Canal Services boat they assume that we have a Trad engine and large prop which will get us out of trouble. Maybe I should put a notice on the deck board infoming them otherwise.

Maybe I should put a notice on the deck board infoming them otherwise.

You will probably find people running into you, then apologising, saying they were distracted by trying to read your sign at a distance!

You will probably find people running into you, then apologising, saying they were distracted by trying to read your sign at a distance!

Yes. That had occured to me, probably not a good idea.

At least you have not accused me of hogging the centre of the canal this time! :lol:

Be careful about pointing fingers at the Fullers for you may find horses head on your cabin top. :ninja:

Just the sort of 'friendly', smug and aggressive attitude that I was commenting on and no I don't think it was a joke.

Personally I think it is you that has the aggressive attitude, my comment was in jest (definitions An object of ridicule; a laughingstock. A witty remark).

Thank you for the warm welcome to canal forum.

Spotted this laying about the place earlier today. It's not sunk!

Did you have any problem getting through the tunnel? I'm hoping to (try and) take Tycho through soon - it's a canal I have never done.

Edit to add the picture!!

Ibex.jpg

Edited by Speedwheel

When passing a boat going the opposite way, the bow will be drawn into the centre of the canal, and to avoid ending up across the canal, you have to compensate, by steering the back end towards the passing boat, just before it passes you. Usually by putting the tiller over, and adding a fair bit of revs.

Well, that is what I do usually anyway. For what it's worth.

Don't know about horse boats. Non of those up here. Plenty of hire boats though. Ohh, and don't start me about other boats when you are moving breasted up..

:angry:

When passing a boat going the opposite way, the bow will be drawn into the centre of the canal, and to avoid ending up across the canal, you have to compensate, by steering the back end towards the passing boat, just before it passes you. Usually by putting the tiller over, and adding a fair bit of revs.

Well, that is what I do usually anyway. For what it's worth.

Don't know about horse boats. Non of those up here. Plenty of hire boats though. Ohh, and don't start me about other boats when you are moving breasted up..

:angry:

Fine in open water, but a bit more difficult when you are in the narrow section next to a bridgehole, there is a butty in the way, and the motor has put you on the mud.

Well, not to be awkward, but if a motor is towing a butty, wether on cross straps or a long line, other boats should hold back. That is not to give the pair card blanche to push through like they're on fire, but controling a pair is tricky at the best of times.

There's not many left. And somehow I don't think their numbers will increase.. :mellow:

Well, not to be awkward, but if a motor is towing a butty, wether on cross straps or a long line, other boats should hold back. That is not to give the pair card blanche to push through like they're on fire, but controling a pair is tricky at the best of times.

There's not many left. And somehow I don't think their numbers will increase.. :mellow:

Yes that's sensible, as a deep draughted boat we have unwittingly put boats on the mud not through excess speed but normally a mix of the other boat moving across to far and the shallow canal. Not saying this is what happened here.

Which is what they did. We did not see them until we were entering the bridgehole, and after coming through, we pulled over to give them as much room as the narrow bridge approach permitted, I am well aware of the problems of towing a butty, but our courtesy was not matched by them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not an easy or natural convert to the world of social media but having young sons I have embraced it as I feel I must do so to try and keep abreast of the realities of their world. ( I take it I am right in thinking that a forum such as this falls under the category of social media? )

This thread confirms some of my worst fears about all of this high tech communication malarkey. It’s all a little sad and pathetic that gripes are being aired in this place in this manner. Must I chat to my boys and explain that when someone stemmed me up or pinched my lock ‘I used to talk to them directly about it in the old days’ but understand that they will want to hold the grudge and then air it to other people on a public forum as soon as they have range for their Ipad? Is that really the way to do things? – Must I also revise my advice to them that if they feel that they have been shunned by someone they hoped liked them, that instead of chatting to the person directly or processing their own disappointment, but that the best resolution will be come to a social forum and tell the world?

What pitiable nonsense! - I’m proud to still prefer other more traditional forms of solution and redress.

Edited by Mike C

A forum is as social as you make it.

Every technology that emerges challenges an established norm, and that may be said of; Computers, Television, ball point pens, the telegraph, the Penny Post - even beacons lit on hilltops etc. High tech communications need not be engaged in unless the next time you need a blood transfusion, they insert nano chipped blood cells into your body against your wishes or knowledge. Exercise choice whenever it arises.

A forum is as social as you make it.

Every technology that emerges challenges an established norm, and that may be said of; Computers, Television, ball point pens, the telegraph, the Penny Post - even beacons lit on hilltops etc. High tech communications need not be engaged in unless the next time you need a blood transfusion, they insert nano chipped blood cells into your body against your wishes or knowledge. Exercise choice whenever it arises.

I have absolutely no idea what your talking about!