Is it possible to upload a picture to the site ?

Featured Posts

Is it possible to upload a picture to the site as opposed to just a link to an image ? I remember I uploaded some pictures of Cuban locos to a Rail UK thread. It`s just that it`s a bit of a pain having to upload an image to another website just to get it to display on this forum, in fact some images disappear over time when trying to read old threads.

Thanks for that Matty.

Can the picture only be in your gallery, or can you then insert that picture on a thread ? If so how ?

Right click on the image (any image BTW not just the ones in the gallery) - this brings up a menu.

Select - 'copy image URL'

Open a new thread, at the top on the tool bar there is an insert image button (2 to the right of the smiley face), click on that and paste the image URL into the space provided.

Then click on 'insert image' and Robert is your fathers brother.

Edited by The Dog House

Right click on the image (any image BTW not just the ones in the gallery) - this brings up a menu.

Select - 'copy image URL'

The images on my computer don't have a URL! From your own computer you have to upload to an image hosting site to give it a URL. This has been described several times, and I believe there is a (too) detailed set of instructions somewhere. I use Imgur , a very simple to use, no-frills (and no adverts!) hoster.

Edited to say that I see the OP says it is a pain to upload, but it literally takes about 15 seconds to do. But can I put in yet another plea to resize large pics before posting them, for the sake of those on slow connections. Yes, the forum software resizes them, but only after they have been downloaded. When on the boat I simply have to give up on threads containing lots of large pics.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

The images on my computer don't have a URL! From your own computer you have to upload to an image hosting site to give it a URL. This has been described several times, and I believe there is a (too) detailed set of instructions somewhere. I use Imgur , a very simple to use, no-frills (and no adverts!) hoster.

Nor do mine. I thought for a moment there was an easier way than going via photobucket, but seemingly not.

Mac you have misunderstood - this was in response to a specific question about once they are uploaded to CWDF how do you get them to appear in a post in the forum.

The detailed video instructions that I posted have been taken down at my request because Photobucket changed their site and the video would be out of date and confusing.

I'm sorry you found them 'too' detailed but the overall opinion was that people found them very helpful.

Nor do mine. I thought for a moment there was an easier way than going via photobucket, but seemingly not.

Tam - see my response, Mac has got his wires crossed.

I've included the post I was responding to, for the avoidance of further confusion.

Edited by The Dog House

Mac you have misunderstood - this was in response to a specific question about once they are uploaded to CWDF how do you get them to appear in a post in the forum.

Tam - see my response, Mac has got his wires crossed.

I've included the post I was responding to, for the avoidance of further confusion.

I don't think I've got any wires crossed. The OP wanted to know how to insert pics in a post. Perhaps what he really wants pointed out is the 'insert image' button above the posting box (2 to the right of the smiley).

I don't think I've got any wires crossed.

I'm afraid you have.

The OP first asked how to get pictures uploaded - Matty covered this in his answer.

He then asked 'will the pictures only display in the gallery or can you put them in a thread'

I answered 'Yes you can display them in a post and included a short description of how to do it' Post #4

You then came in and said 'images on my computer don't have a URL and that won't work'

I responded that 'we were not talking about uploading at that point just how to get photo's that have been uploaded to the gallery to display in posts'

I'm finding this very confusing. I created my first album, but I can't upload because my photo files are too large apparently & the error message tells me to check the help files. On that page or anywhere else for that matter they aren't there. I've searched for help files & what comes up bears no relevance that I can find, so where the chuffin heck are they?

Simpler would probably be to tell me the maximum file size I can upload.

Cheers.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. The OP's first question was how to upload pics to the site, and the second how to put them in a thread. My answer answered both of these questions, using the method which most people use. Use of the gallery is unnecessary, and constitutes an extra step.

It answers nothing of the sort other than which site you prefer to use,

That would be like me saying

Use this - http://photobucket.com/

Exactly how does that help?

The CWDF gallery is merely a 'host' for the photos as is your chosen site, as is photobucket.

You also misunderstood my reference as to when to use 'right click' - 'copy image URL' when you clearly thought I meant you could do this from an image located on your hard disk when I meant nothing of the sort.

It answers nothing of the sort other than which site you prefer to use,

That would be like me saying

Use this - http://photobucket.com/

Exactly how does that help?

The CWDF gallery is merely a 'host' for the photos as is your chosen site, as is photobucket.

You also misunderstood my reference as to when to use 'right click' - 'copy image URL' when you clearly thought I meant you could do this from an image located on your hard disk when I meant nothing of the sort.

I know exactly what you are saying, and am not misunderstanding you. What I am saying is that the gallery is not necessary or even the best way to get pictures into a thread - it is just an extra step, giving as you say, a URL for the picture (at least we can agree about something!)

The gallery isn't even a guarantee that the pics will always be available, or even available at all, so I was pointing out the tried and tested method of posting pics. If you look at 'Technical and Account Support', there are many, many posts about problems with the gallery, indeed a veteran poster on these forums says in one reply:

In my view the gallery serves little purpose, and putting images there just significantly increases (I assume!) the server space required by the forum, and possibly the costs of running it.

Far better IMO to host all your images posted on the forum externally in something like Flickr or Photobucket.

I propose the gallery function of the forum be locked out for new additions, if that is possible.

(In case you were wondering who said that, it was Alan Fincher)

Fairy nuff -

So yes you were offering an alternative to the gallery as an alternative host for pics. and I was actually answering the OP's question -

I still think the confusion started here,

If you had merely said something along the lines of

'I find the gallery on here a pain to use as do others so I use this site',

rather than suggesting that I'd said you can upload directly from your desktop using 'right click - copy URL'

Edited by The Dog House

Thank you all for your replies.

I`m aware of the fact I can insert a picture hosted on another website and in fact I have done this once or twice by hosting the pictures on the "Favourite Pictures" page of my own website. I did this with a graphic on a thread about of the kind of lock windlass I really want. However, after a few months I thought that graphic isn`t actually one of my favourite pictures (I often get a 100 or so people a month on that page) so I removed it, the result being the graphic is no longer on the thread, which makes the thread pointless !

I think having to upload a picture to a third party website in order to get it to display on this website is a bit convoluted and complicated.

If I`ve got this right I can upload a picture to "My Gallery" then display that in a thread but I actually want to post a picture of a boat which isn`t mine, so wouldn`t really want a picture of a boat which isn`t mine in "My Gallery", it doesn`t seem right ! I suppose I could upload the graphic of 'my ideal lock windlass' to "My Gallery" so it displays on the thread.

Edited by Justin Smith

Thank you all for your replies.

I`m aware of the fact I can insert a picture hosted on another website and in fact I have done this once or twice by hosting the pictures on the "Favourite Pictures" page of my own website. I did this with a graphic on a thread about of the kind of lock windlass I really want. However, after a few months I thought that graphic isn`t actually one of my favourite pictures (I often get a 100 or so people a month on that page) so I removed it, the result being the graphic is no longer on the thread, which makes the thread pointless !

I think having to upload a picture to a third party website in order to get it to display on this website is a bit convoluted and complicated.

If I`ve got this right I can upload a picture to "My Gallery" then display that in a thread but I actually want to post a picture of a boat which isn`t mine, so wouldn`t really want a picture of a boat which isn`t mine in "My Gallery", it doesn`t seem right ! I suppose I could upload the graphic of 'my ideal lock windlass' to "My Gallery" so it displays on the thread.

<soap box mode>

I don't understand why you would want to host images on CWDF, thereby increasing storage and bandwidth demands, and hence cost, of hosting this site. That is unless the admins can confirm that there is no impact on cost. It seems polite to me to use one of the many free hosting sites, and not add demands to this one, which is privately funded.

</soap box mode>

<soap box mode>

I don't understand why you would want to host images on CWDF, thereby increasing storage and bandwidth demands, and hence cost, of hosting this site. That is unless the admins can confirm that there is no impact on cost. It seems polite to me to use one of the many free hosting sites, and not add demands to this one, which is privately funded.

</soap box mode>

Thats a very good point, but does beg the question of why have member's galleries then?

<soap box mode>

</soap box mode>

Does a facility to host pictures significantly put up the cost of running a forum ? I don`t know, I`m just asking the question. As far as I`m aware most forums make money from advertising, but if the CW forum is short of money has it thought of having a "Donate" button ?

Basically, yes. You can store a tremendous amount of text in the space on picture takes.

Daniel prefers the finances of this site to be informal and under his control, rather than having to rely on donations

Richard

shuudup parrot - told you I could do it

wpdd28c02e_02.jpg

I think I realised where I went wrong Matty, the picture had an anchor (to which a hyperlink is directed on teh website), I copied and pasted the hyperlink url to the picture [as opposed to the picture`s url as obtained by right clicking on it and copying and pasting the address in the resulting "Properties"].

I don`t suppose you know how I can go back and edit the Windlass Thread ?

Edited by Justin Smith

I think I realised where I went wrong Matty, the picture had an anchor (to which a hyperlink is directed on teh website), I copied and pasted the hyperlink url to the picture [as opposed to the picture`s url as obtained by right clicking on it and copying and pasting the address in the resulting "Properties"].

I don`t suppose you know how I can go back and edit the Windlass Thread ?

it may be too late to edit your original post, however, you could add a new one with the picture and revitalise the thread.