24V dynamo wanted

jake_crew

Featured Posts

Title says it all really.

We're looking for a 24V dyno and regulator for the tug project.

Nothing on comedy-bay at present. All hints welcome.

I know an alternator would probably be easier to find, but we like dynamos :rolleyes: .

Edited by jake_crew

Title says it all really.

We're looking for a 24V dyno and regulator for the tug project.

Nothing on comedy-bay at present. All hints welcome.

I know an alternator would probably be easier to find, but we like dynamos :rolleyes: .

What size/rpm/engine? What is the 'tug project'?

Edit - not a dynamo but I'll probably have a nearly new AC5 alternator & regulator spare soon.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Not for me to say,

BUT dynamos are rubbish , poor at generating much power and not as reliable as an alternator.

I've got an huge AC-somthing or other I'd part with 24V at 100 amps. New - never been used with a masssive input shaft.

Designed for low speed running so in scale with low revving donks.

Send me a message and I'll go and look at the details.

In truth the AC5 offered above would probably be better value and 55amps at 24V is quite a lot of juice.

Ensign buses of Thurrock Essex might help you with one of those.

Mine is an AC172R 1277630 Made for Dennis - so yes, a bus alternator 100 amp nominal output 75 amp at 2000 rpm so suitable for a slow revver with a smallish pulley.

Mine is an AC172R 1277630 Made for Dennis - so yes, a bus alternator 100 amp nominal output 75 amp at 2000 rpm so suitable for a slow revver with a smallish pulley.

Ensign buses is a huge company, not only do they run a bus service but renovate and restore old buses and coaches for private customers and for export, virtually all the London buses when pensioned off end up there for restoration and export. I used to get spares for an old Western national Bristol coach from them.

Thanks for the replies people.

Mike is right, it is for the Gleniffer. I know Mike uses a 12v starter with success, but ours is 24V and we'd be happy to keep it. Its an old design (of course) and straps on the engine bearers with banjo clips, so a 12V replacement won't be common either.

We've found dynamos fine for 30+ years - but we have very low power usage (a few lights and the water pump). Using two 12V batteries and swapping the one being charged has worked OK for us.

But if we could drop on a 24V dyno at the right price so much the better.

The Bus peolpe are a good idea as we already use "bus" bulbs, I give them a call.