Do you miss your boat when you're apart?

Zayna

Featured Posts

It's perfectly straightforward to steer a narrowboat single handed. I do it regularly, as do a lot of people here....

Ho ho that's easy for you to say! I do keep telling you you have a terrible memory, but don't you remember all the drama over the course of the last year convincing me I could drive Springy without sinking him even with help, let alone on my own? :D

I had a massive confidence/ mental block about it and only went out single handed for the first time in the Summer after single handing MB's Reg first.

Being away from my boat overnight is very weird to me, maybe moreso cos I live aboard. At first I'm like 'charge all of the things! Dance around the room because you can! Jump up and down without hitting your head! Pee every half hour whether you need to or not! Shower three times a day just for fun!'

But shortly after that, it all becomes a bit too big, and static, and two-dimensional.

While having the shower fitted recently, MB had to cut a hole out of the hull for a water outlet. (He sensibly didn't tell me this until after it was done...) He also filed the edges off of the cut out disc and gave it to me, and I was fascinated by it... Holding a little bit of the surprisingly sturdy body of my boat that had been part of it for the last 25 years in my hands.

I lacquered it and wear it on a chain round my neck, and I know it's a little saccharine, but I like having a bit of my boat with me everywhere I go.

Half of the time I'm away from my boat, I'm not sure if I'm missing it, or just terrified it will inexplicably sink without me there...

Edited by Starcoaster

No you're not mad. We bought our first boat in July and spent 2 weeks cruising from Silsden by which time it felt like home.

Since then we've had another week away and spent Thursday to Monday aboard every weekend since.

Hate returning to bricks and mortar on Monday night

We've already started getting rid of useless stuff ready for when we can sell up and move aboard.

I've loved reading these replies, thanks. I don't feel quite so bad now, and don't mind being nutty as a fruitcake in the slightest.

One other thing, when she was out of the water for blacking, it made me anxious. Talk about having a fish out of the water? We still stayed on her but it just didn't feel right.

Odd, isn't it? Are we sure they're not acutally living creatures?

I feel the same, we have an 18 year old boy at home but as soon as he is gone so is the house and we will move on the boat. I think I'm a boater at heart so we are already downsizing and making it not so comfortable for him so he doesn't want to stay at home

Well.....I'll be different.

I don't miss it that much..its just something I use for 6 months..

Its great..but winter has other things that are great...ie Spain..or Cyprus...a luxury rented villa for £350 a month...and cheap cafes and wine..

When I get really bored in a few years..I'll chuck it in and do something else..

It takes all sorts..to make a world...