A new type of toilet you wont need to empty!

Featured Posts

I note that the WC16 has a total capacity of 16 litres an hour. During a normal day, two people will, with a flushing toilet, l pass about 70 litres a day. Meaning morning, noon and night This then would very roughly make the combuster work 24 hours a day. This would be quite efficient with servicing as constant operation usually reduces the number of problems with the system.

I think there could be two main problems with this situation. One is power comsumption of the system and fueling it. The other is noise. These two items need to be addressed for several reasons. At the base level, will there be an increase in fuel used to keep this operating and in operation while absent? Secondly, The system will operate 24 hours a day, what is the noise level of the pumps and burner?

I think that this system will be a winner if certain parameters are met. The overal cost of purchase and one years operation can be compared with a pump-out toilet and ease of use compared to cassette toilets. The pump-out toilet has to be refilled with water and pumped out which also incurres the cost of diesel for movement. The cassette requires carriage, cleaning by hand and refilling with chemical. The use of chemical I know is debateable but required for biological safety. That is additional cost.

If an efficient system can be made to work and something has to work on the space shuttle, I can see that it will corner the market for liveaboards and occatioanals.

It will nodoubt the women that will specify the end fitting.

• 3 weeks later...

The cassette requires carriage, cleaning by hand and refilling with chemical. The use of chemical I know is debateable but required for biological safety. That is additional cost.

I don't use any chemicals in my cassette. I checked this with Lee Sanitation and they told me waste will break down naturally by itself & toilet blue only increases sludge formation which is difficult to flush out. For these reasons they don't recommend using chemicals in any of the toilets they supply. (But I'm not sure if they were including pump outs as well?)

By the way, where does the energy come from to ignite/burn the waste in the incinerator system above?

Edited by blackrose

Diesel, I would guess, effluent will not burn on its own.

I think it will burn on its own once dried, but does this system dry it first? Doesn't look like it from the schematic drawing.

I knew an old mad woman who used to burn her poo in newspaper in her solid fuel stove (at least that was the rumour on the mooring).

I wouldn't mind a toilet that produced dry brickettes that you could burn in the stove. Might stink the boat out though?

Edited by blackrose

How do you know!

I once knew a chap who could do a very original trick with a cigarette lighter, worked best after several pints of draught Guinness.

That was methane gas, not lquid or solid (I hope)

I think it will burn on its own once dried, but does this system dry it first? Doesn't look like it from the schematic drawing.

I knew an old mad woman who used to burn her poo in newspaper in her solid fuel stove (at least that was the rumour on the mooring).

I wouldn't mind a toilet that produced dry brickettes that you could burn in the stove. Might stink the boat out though?

I believe it is pumped from the holding tank so is still in a liguid form. (macerated).

I believe it is pumped from the holding tank so is still in a liguid form. (macerated).

Indeed, it appears so. Therefore it seems to me that the vast majority of the material fed into the 'incinerator' is a fluid, not solid, so is that really 'burnt' or is it actually 'boiled off'? (A whole new meaning to the phrase 'boiling it'! :( )

A 'greener' system, imho, would be to filter the 'output' from the loo and feed it back to a dedicated lav flushing tank to be reused for the next flush. Would need some way of distinguishing between filterable no.1s and unfilterable no.2s though........ . Alternatively, arrange for part of the engine cooling system or domestic hot water to pass under the lav's holding tank thus accelerating the evapouration of the fluid contents, collect the evapourate and feed that back to the lav flush tank.

Stand back, genius at work! (Except I can't spell, can I)

Edited by Callum

• 3 weeks later...

I did this last winter when I was iced in! Hours of entertainment watching the 'waste' shrink, fizz and pop before ending up like a tiny, glowing red coal!!! Not really ideal on a day-to-day basis tho, and certainly not a good idea when entertaining guests.

Edited by Breals

According to the book "Jar Head", this is what US forces in the desert did in the first Gulf war. One of the less popular tasks was burning the poo in an oil drum. A quantity of diesel was added and the drum set alight. The unfortunate given the duty then had to stir to ensure complete incineration.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't know you were aquainted with my mum, small world eh! :angry:

Don't get your bum stuck in that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or your a**e lose in it, oh wise crinkly one :angry:

Indeed, it appears so. Therefore it seems to me that the vast majority of the material fed into the 'incinerator' is a fluid, not solid, so is that really 'burnt' or is it actually 'boiled off'? (A whole new meaning to the phrase 'boiling it'! :angry: )

A 'greener' system, imho, would be to filter the 'output' from the loo and feed it back to a dedicated lav flushing tank to be reused for the next flush. Would need some way of distinguishing between filterable no.1s and unfilterable no.2s though........ .

snip

Stand back, genius at work! (Except I can't spell, can I)

I see - back to re-circs then!

Not the nicest of things when introduced in the late 60s.

Tony Brooks

I see - back to re-circs then!

Not the nicest of things when introduced in the late 60s.

Tony Brooks

Oh dear, there really is nothing new in the world, is there! So I take it that this didn't work particularly well then?

Oh dear, there really is nothing new in the world, is there! So I take it that this didn't work particularly well then?

They worked fine if you liked a flush that gassed you with blue fules at the start of your cruise and went a sort of muddy, greeny, brown at the end.

When fitted with an electric flushing pump they were better, but originally they had a hand "bilge" pump to flush with and that had, shall we say, suspect top seals. Not good when used by the more lusty memberb of the crew!

Also sufferd for infestations of sewerage of fruit fly magots in the summer if you moored in the "wrong" place, but that woudl not be a problem with remote tanks.

Tony Brooks

Rememberimg how hard blue & crap staining is to get off hands.

• 4 months later...
We are about to trial a new system based around a normal pump out toilet which will pump waste into a small collection tank from which a small quantity at a time will be automatically transferred into a diesel fired incineration unit, the small amount of resulting ash will then be collected into a container for safe disposal every few months.

I think the system might be probably more suited to larger inland waterways boats but the system does sound very good in principle but like most of these ideas we will have to see how it all works out!

If anyone would be interested in details of the system then drop me a message and I will get back to you with more details after we have finished a trial on it and I am sure it is a viable system.

Hiya Gary

Did you complete trials on this? And if so how did it work out?

Allan

Hiya Gary

Did you complete trials on this? And if so how did it work out?

Allan

Not yet still waiting apparently for the Americans to sort something before the thing gets to the UK in its final form!

I don't know if this is a good or bad sign!

But I will let people know when it happens!

Hi Gary

How's the trials with the new loo going? And do you have any photo's yet?

Many thanks

Allan

I wonder if heat from the engine exhaust could be used to save some or all of the diesel.

Nick

Can a back boiler be fitted to the incinerater?

I doubt that there will be any net energy gain since the heat is needed to evaporate all of that water. That is why I suggested the use of the engine exhaust.

Nick