"gold in them tha boat's"

Pappa Lazarou

Featured Posts

After buying my newly aquired boat last June a friend of mine who had known the previous owner told me that he had a secret stash hidden underneath the sink units,and ten pound note's stuffed behind panneling on the wall's, oh yeh I said as if I'm going start ripping the boat apart on some pretence that there could be hidden valuables, so I thought no more about it.

Last Friday we went to the boat and the gas fitter came to see us, he had been doing work on the boat and had taken out the sink units, low and behold he had discovered a money belt with a bank book containing 8,000, a bank card and also a box of jewellery with gold and silver ring's, gold tie pin's, cuff link's and other item's.

Now this raise's the question, do these item's belong to me? I have bought the boat and all it's possession's, or should I take the bank card and start forging the signature?

After buying my newly aquired boat last June a friend of mine who had known the previous owner told me that he had a secret stash hidden underneath the sink units,and ten pound note's stuffed behind panneling on the wall's, oh yeh I said as if I'm going start ripping the boat apart on some pretence that there could be hidden valuables, so I thought no more about it.

Last Friday we went to the boat and the gas fitter came to see us, he had been doing work on the boat and had taken out the sink units, low and behold he had discovered a money belt with a bank book containing 8,000, a bank card and also a box of jewellery with gold and silver ring's, gold tie pin's, cuff link's and other item's.

Now this raise's the question, do these item's belong to me? I have bought the boat and all it's possession's, or should I take the bank card and start forging the signature?

All together now.............

It's your cash now Dave :lol:

Well forging signatures is definitely illegal, but the legal status of the jewelery, etc is something I'm not entirely certain of.

If you bought the boat with everything on board, then I suspect it may now belong to you, but if it were me I'd want to take legal advice before I did anything.

Incidentally, I can be hired for a fee with my flexible camera if you want to start investigating behind paneling without taking the boat to bits. ;)

I once bought a boat that had what I felt to be quite extreme bondage magazines hidden under the kitchen cupboards - behind the kickboards. A few days later (having perused the magazines!) - I found in a pile of junk what looked to me suspiciously like a butt plug. After poking it with a stick, I realised it was a cable gland!!

So these are things left behind presumably inadvertently. Even more, then, they still belong to the man. Is there family? Who got the proceeds from the boat sale. If it were me, I'd follow up and make sure that whomever should now have the bank card and jewellery does get them.

Well that adds a conundrum as hes probably in a state home so any money he had will be going on his care, so without knowing all the details i would say the money in the bank is not yours but the rest is.

Lynall

With £8,000 you can keep it and do what you like. It's his money so nobody but him or his family should be making decisions on where it would be best spent.

So these are things left behind presumably inadvertently. Even more, then, they still belong to the man. Is there family? Who got the proceeds from the boat sale. If it were me, I'd follow up and make sure that whomever should now have the bank card and jewellery does get them.

And the cash.

• Greenie 1

The previous owner had to leave the boat after having two strokes, hence now in a care home suffering with demetia.

Irrespective of the legal position, you know its not yours, don't you?

So return it to its rightful owner and you'll be far happier than taking advantage of a sick man.

The thing is I'm a little shocked that anyone would even consider keeping any effects belonging to a person who only left behind their property because they had a stroke and suffered from dementia.

And very disappointed that some members here agreed.

• Greenie 1

The thing is I'm a little shocked that anyone would even consider keeping any effects belonging to a person who only left behind their property because they had a stroke and suffered from dementia.

And very disappointed that some members here agreed.

Keeping under any circumstances would be reprehensible in my book.

• Greenie 1