Tie up well and sit it out

matty40s

Featured Posts

So where is the best place to be in a narrowboat when the waters start rising like this and what situation would make it a good idea to move?

I'm hoping that I don't have to face anything like this when I start venturing out on my new boat and with no experience of these kinds of conditions I have no idea how to react.

Edited by Philippe

So where is the best place to be in a narrowboat when the waters start rising like this and what situation would make it a good idea to move?

I'm hoping that I don't have to face anything like this when I start venturing out on my new boat and with no experience of these kinds of conditions I have no idea how to react.

Plan ahead. On rivers you need to know where safe moorings are in case of flood conditions and keep a close eye on the weather forecasts.

The narrwboat in York for example would have been safer on the floating pontoon moorings at Linton Lock or tucked up in Naburn Marina, failing that the quay walls at Kings and Queens staithe.

Plan ahead. On rivers you need to know where safe moorings are in case of flood conditions and keep a close eye on the weather forecasts.

The narrwboat in York for example would have been safer on the floating pontoon moorings at Linton Lock or tucked up in Naburn Marina, failing that the quay walls at Kings and Queens staithe.

When planning ahead, what would be safe moorings? I can see how floating pontoons would be good as they will rise with you and I assume that most marinas would be safer (is this right?). What about out and about on a river/canal? What kind of mooring would be best to head for and stay put waiting it out? Are there different things to look out for with rivers and canals that are flooding?

Edited by Philippe

When planning ahead, what would be safe moorings? I can see how floating pontoons would be good as they will rise with you and I assume that most marinas would be safer (is this right?). What about out and about on a river/canal? What kind of mooring would be best to head for and stay put waiting it out? Are there different things to look out for with rivers and canals that are flooding?

If I was on a river I would try to moor as close to the head of a lock as possible, rather than be half way between, moored to pins in the bank or even a tree. This is working on the basis that I didn't know of safe emergency moorings.

Floating pontoons are your best bet. They will rise and fall with the river.

Not all river marinas have floating pontoons though so best to check how the locals moor their boats.

Our marina has flood gates which shut if the river rises too much again not all river marinas have this feature either.

Canals are not usually such an issue, the water levels remain fairly static however on rivers you do need to be vigilant and think ahead. High walls make for good river moorings but you will have to set spring lines to allow your boat to rise and fall with the water. The wall will until the water levels rises above it keep you in the river channel. By high wall I mean much higher than the normal river level so you will be getting on and off the roof of the boat.

During flood conditions rivers flow quickly so moor with your bow into the flow.

I m racking my brains as to why that boat looks so familiar :huh:

just looked back 24 hrs and it was well in the green then. I wonder where the boat was last night. they are probably in the best place now, just above the lock.

Edit,

Just realised he is BELOW and looks as if he is going to try to lock up

They are now turning the lock, or trying to with all the water flowing over the bottom gate

They are now turning the lock, or trying to with all the water flowing over the bottom gate

Now entering the lock????

In the lock, gates shut

In the lock, gates shut

perhaps they think they are safer on that side!!!!The lock landing this side is completely under water by a long way.

There are long term moorings above, and there is a double wier to the lower level.

If all that next batch of rain comes down the Severn, Tewksbury and the surrounds may well suffer badly again so they are probably best stopping where they are.

Edited by matty40s

It is not just tidal sections that have had problems>

Hollingwood Lock

This is right next to the Registered office of The Chesterfield Canal Trust and the water came only a brick away from entering the coffee shop in the building that also houses a meeting room and the offices.

This was a photo I happened to take at the same place while I waited in gorgeous sunshine on Saturday:

419436_10151154372919070_1084158418_n.jpg

The photo's from around the country are horrific. I feel so sorry for people who's homes and businesses are flooded.

My daughter works for a company who step in when a disaster strikes, fires floods etc. She went on holiday today - perfect timing I think!