New to the boat world, bath moorings?

Eddlane

Featured Posts

Don't forget that they will be travelling back and forth from work each day

This is true, but knowing the options for mooring near Bath they may find they have quite a commute if they choose to go down that route, too.

Dad had just picked up a 57ft cruiser for £5k.Still floating but in need of a total refit.They were heading for a tidal mooring on the Medway.

Blimey that's cheap! Mind you, I'd want to be very confident the hull and engine were sound before heading for tidal waters.

• Greenie 1

If you have a home mooring that's NOT residential, how long at a time can you stay there?

Depends.. currently looking for a home mooring near Oxford. One of the nearer marinas on the Thames has a new, very exclusive housing estate next to it. Some of the residents take great delight in reporting the marina to the council if they see any dirty boaters who might be living aboard near their million quid breeding hutches. It's a difficult area, there are not many residential moorings due to the planning difficulties. It's probably best not to mention you live aboard at all, unless asked.

Edited by oarfish

Yep the most research some do is to study the air draft and maximum beam then get a boat built to fit right up to those measurements. As I've said before, it's not supposed to be like fitting a bra. :wacko:

But they sometimes appear to be right tits :lol:

Depends.. currently looking for a home mooring near Oxford. One of the nearer marinas on the Thames has a new, very exclusive housing estate next to it. Some of the residents take great delight in reporting the marina to the council if they see any dirty boaters who might be living aboard near their million quid breeding hutches. It's a difficult area, there are not many residential moorings due to the planning difficulties. It's probably best not to mention you live aboard at all, unless asked.

Thanks, do you know if there is there a definative "11 months a year" general rule? I remember looking at some marina houses up our way in the eighties. Each had a mooring, but they were cheaper than the averahe house because you could legally only live in them for 11 months per year. If that's the case I can breath easily, move onboard (quietly) and cruise for at least 1 month a year - it'd be rude not to. :) If, say they run a year april/april I could technically cruise april, live 22 months then cruise March. These things matter as I have no idea what I'll actually want to do until I try it. TBH CCing appeals and so does chilling in one spot so I'm guessing I'll want to do a bit of both.

Thanks, do you know if there is there a definative "11 months a year" general rule? I remember looking at some marina houses up our way in the eighties. Each had a mooring, but they were cheaper than the averahe house because you could legally only live in them for 11 months per year. If that's the case I can breath easily, move onboard (quietly) and cruise for at least 1 month a year - it'd be rude not to. :) If, say they run a year april/april I could technically cruise april, live 22 months then cruise March. These things matter as I have no idea what I'll actually want to do until I try it. TBH CCing appeals and so does chilling in one spot so I'm guessing I'll want to do a bit of both.

Each marina may well have their own rules and regulations , there is no 'general rule' regarding how long one may stay on board

why don't you CC for six month's and use a marina for the winter, sound's like a plan to me, that way you can then decide which you prefer.

That's why I'm trying to get a handle on it. The mooring is approved, but not residential. However there are a fair few people in residence there. Some to my mind are looking a wee bit too permanent. I will want to cruise otherwise, to my mind, there's not really much point being in a boat, but at the same time I'd like to choose when that is and not be forced into it more than I like.

So I guess the question is where is the line drawn that one must not cross to live within the rules on a non-residential mooring?

It appears to be a grey area from reading on here, but all I want is to stay within the rules and live peaceably, my son and I have had enough turmoil recently to last us for the next decade so the last thing I want is to fall foul of the rules. I've searched the web for this info but for some reason it's not spelled out anywhere I can find. I'll keep looking though.

I think you've really answered your own question.

If the mooring is non-residential, then the "rule" is that you can't live on your boat there - at all. That's the strict rule, but in practice, as others have said, it all depends ... on the landowner's views, other moorers, etc., and above all CRT, as the canal owner. They may well turn a blind eye, as they frequently do, or they may not.

Most people would suggest just living quietly, and not causing any problem to anyone, and hopefully this will work. Don't tell the local authority you are there, as there will be no planning permission for residential, and they may want you to move. You certainly shouldn't get yourself on to the electoral register at this mooring!

• Greenie 1

I think you've really answered your own question.

If the mooring is non-residential, then the "rule" is that you can't live on your boat there - at all. That's the strict rule, but in practice, as others have said, it all depends ... on the landowner's views, other moorers, etc., and above all CRT, as the canal owner. They may well turn a blind eye, as they frequently do, or they may not.

Most people would suggest just living quietly, and not causing any problem to anyone, and hopefully this will work. Don't tell the local authority you are there, as there will be no planning permission for residential, and they may want you to move. You certainly shouldn't get yourself on to the electoral register at this mooring!

Thanks for that Hastings. Pretty much as expected but it's good to get the cast iron situation spelled out. There are a row of small plots that have been lived on (in boats) quietly for scores of years without a problem. I'll keep my head down. Sadly there are one or two others who seem to be making it look like home so I do hope they don't spoil it for the rest of us. I can't see why they've done this after paying as much for their plots/moorings as their boats...

Thanks for that Hastings. Pretty much as expected but it's good to get the cast iron situation spelled out. There are a row of small plots that have been lived on (in boats) quietly for scores of years without a problem. I'll keep my head down. Sadly there are one or two others who seem to be making it look like home so I do hope they don't spoil it for the rest of us. I can't see why they've done this after paying as much for their plots/moorings as their boats...

Because some folks become complacent, and, when challenged/caught (because they have made a nuisance of themselves) cry "Foul" - and are all indignant, and protesteth (too much) - - and spoil it for others