To survey or not to survey

Philippe

Featured Posts

Don't you get your Certificate as the result of a Survey as a part of the Scheme?

Richard

Lost me with that serial connection! What's a Scheme?

Realise you don't need the boat out of the water for a BSC, but may be more cost effective to have survey and BSC from a single surveyor trip

But you won't need the boat out of the water for the BSC (it's a Certificate, not a Sertificate!) to be done.

It sertainly is!

But you won't need the boat out of the water for the BSC (it's a Certificate, not a Sertificate!) to be done.

Don't you get your Certificate as the result of a Survey as a part of the Scheme?

Richard

Lost me with that serial connection! What's a Scheme?

<snip>

It was more for Athy really, who was challenging BSS. Under the Boat Safety Scheme your boat has a Boat Safety Survey to get a Boat Safety Certificate

Richard

I'm using Steve Hand of Hands On Marine who was recommended by a couple of people in these forums.

Not sure whether he'll let me on the boat while it's happening or not. I can understand why a surveyor would be reluctant to do that, even if it's just that you'd get in the way. Even if not, I'll be able to watch from afar and the after survey chat will be invaluable.

Steve did our boat 12 months ago. Came well recommended here. Is he still £10 per foot?

You will be very pleased with his survey, he won't let you on board while he does it, but he will have a comprehensive chat with you afterwards. I've been around boats for over 40 years and it was clear that he knows what he is talking about, and that he does such a comprehensive job that the chances of him missing something are slim.

Amongst his first words to me we're "if you don't buy it, I wil!". After that, he pointed out some minor issues that needed dealing with, some things he wasn't absolutely certain of, to keep an eye on, and the things that made it worth much more than we were paying for it.

It was more for Athy really, who was challenging BSS. Under the Boat Safety Scheme your boat has a Boat Safety Survey to get a Boat Safety Certificate

Richard

Ah yes. Perhaps I was a Bloody Silly Sod (or is that Cod?)

We looked at the same boat a month ago when it was still up for ~£45k - needed too much repainting for us, but the inside's lovely. Where are you getting the survey undertaken? We've also just had an offer agreed on our first boat just behind the marina where Emanon's moored, and are still trying to arrange a surveyor (my laziness, not anyone else's fault). Best of luck!

I guess, on reflection, that the test itself is the BSS (Boat Safety Survey), carried out under the BSS (Boat Safety Scheme), and what you get at the end of it is the BSC (Boat Safety Certificate), after all the BSB (Boat Safety Burocracy) has been finished.

Sounds like a load of BS to me.

We looked at the same boat a month ago when it was still up for ~£45k - needed too much repainting for us, but the inside's lovely. Where are you getting the survey undertaken? We've also just had an offer agreed on our first boat just behind the marina where Emanon's moored, and are still trying to arrange a surveyor (my laziness, not anyone else's fault). Best of luck!

Originally was getting the boat lifted at Stanstead Abbots on 1st October with the intention of having it blacked if the survey went well.

Unfortunately the crane at Stanstead Abbots has broken down :( After lots of frantic calls this morning I've managed to book a slot in the dry dock at Hallingbury Marina. Obviously won't be able to hang around for the blacking there but the cost is much less so not so bothered about having to take the boat out again sometime before I depart CCing next Spring. They didn't have any availability for the time taken for blacking until late November anyway.

I just wanted to get the survey out of the way so I can get my hands on the boat ASAP.

Steve did our boat 12 months ago. Came well recommended here. Is he still £10 per foot?

You will be very pleased with his survey, he won't let you on board while he does it, but he will have a comprehensive chat with you afterwards. I've been around boats for over 40 years and it was clear that he knows what he is talking about, and that he does such a comprehensive job that the chances of him missing something are slim.

Amongst his first words to me we're "if you don't buy it, I wil!". After that, he pointed out some minor issues that needed dealing with, some things he wasn't absolutely certain of, to keep an eye on, and the things that made it worth much more than we were paying for it.

Still same price and he does seem to be a very nice guy on the phone. I chose him through a few good words from members here, including yours in another post

I guess, on reflection, that the test itself is the BSS (Boat Safety Survey), carried out under the BSS (Boat Safety Scheme), and what you get at the end of it is the BSC (Boat Safety Certificate), after all the BSB (Boat Safety Burocracy) has been finished.

Sounds like a load of BS to me.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Philippe

Ok, so what duration from the last survey should you consider having another one?

You should get your own survey. A previous survey might help make a decision whether to buy, but it could have been fiddled, or missed something, or something major could have happened since - even if it was only a week ago.

Would you buy a house based on someone else's survey?

The boat I am interested in buying was surveyed a couple of months ago and showed up no problems. The owner wants £400 for the survey. Should I take it or commission my own? If I do how much should I budget for it? I would really appreciate some advice on this : )

I'm far from knowledgeable*, but I wouldn't spend £??K on a boat on the strength of a survey the owner had commissioned. It might be fine and dandy, but personally I'd invest in my own so the surveyor is looking for every fault on my behalf. I would expect him to find enough problems even with a very nice boat to at the least cover the cost of his work. I think if I were selling and had a survey, I would let you look free and gratis if it were a good one, and if bad keep it to myself.

It's clear from talking to friends that you can pay +/- £5-10K for the same boat depending on luck and who's selling it.

*I don't have a boat, have never had a steel boat but I am a cynic realist. :)

Edited by boathunter

The boat I am interested in buying was surveyed a couple of months ago and showed up no problems. The owner wants £400 for the survey. Should I take it or commission my own? If I do how much should I budget for it? I would really appreciate some advice on this : )

Get your own survey, by a different surveyor, if the surveyor does not save you his fee at least, then .......

Remember a survey is only valid for the day it is carried out, a bit like an MOT for a car.

It is possible that something major has happened to the boat in the two months since it was surveyed.

Buyer beware

Get your own survey, by a different surveyor, if the surveyor does not save you his fee at least, then .......

Remember a survey is only valid for the day it is carried out, a bit like an MOT for a car.

It is possible that something major has happened to the boat in the two months since it was surveyed.

Buyer beware

Thanks. Actually Ive looked closer and its the guy who was previously going to buy it who commissioned the survey. Apparently the boat was fine but this chap wanted to fix engines on it and the surveyor advised him that the extra weight would mean the boat would be hitting the bottom, something to do with the draft. So he changed his mind

You should only use a previous survey to help you decide whether to offer, and commission your own survey, (cost about £10-£15 per foot). If somebody has had a survey, and didn't buy, you have to be slightly suspicious, and if the owner wants any money for a previous survey, tell him to swivel, and make your own decision.

You should only use a previous survey to help you decide whether to offer, and commission your own survey, (cost about £10-£15 per foot). If somebody has had a survey, and didn't buy, you have to be slightly suspicious, and if the owner wants any money for a previous survey, tell him to swivel, and make your own decision.

In addition to getting the survey how much do you have to pay to lift the boat out of the water or is that included in the cost? This is very helpful. I think I will get a survey done

In addition to getting the survey how much do you have to pay to lift the boat out of the water or is that included in the cost? This is very helpful. I think I will get a survey done

Depends where it takes place. I paid about £200 in and out and, as I bought the boat, I had it blacked while it was out. You can have a week in Worsley Dry Dock for £280 + VAT.

Hi Everybody, Your help please, I'm new,trying to find/buy my first NB and your sanguine advice is much appreciated and I heartily endorse the view that experience cannot be understated. Sadly, I don't know a veteran NB engineer/builder; so apart from avoiding vested-interest recommendations do you have any advice about finding a good surveyor? I'm aware of the internet glossy ads and have studied the few that are brave enough to publish samples of their work and their "small print limitations". Is there a recommended surveyor website somewhere? If there isn't then I'll be utilising the laws of random chance!

Thanks. Actually Ive looked closer and its the guy who was previously going to buy it who commissioned the survey. Apparently the boat was fine but this chap wanted to fix engines on it and the surveyor advised him that the extra weight would mean the boat would be hitting the bottom, something to do with the draft. So he changed his mind

Actually, the owner cannot do this. The survey belongs to the person who commissioned it - i.e. a previous potential purchaser - not the owner.

If he is trying to sell copies of a survey, the surveyor will not be pleased

Richard

Only when we sold her did we find out that the side deck on one side was an inch wider than the one on the other side! It did not seem to affect the handling though, we were always happy with the boat and only sold because we had the chance to upgrade to a more upmarket boat with a bigger thumpy engine!

Only one inch? my 1929 humber barge has one side deck 3" wider than the other , a stem that leans to starboard and a stern that leans to port, with the wheelhouse somewhere in the middle. I owned the boat for 3 or 4 years before I noticed !