Recommended places to purchase boats?

g916

Featured Posts

I live in York and plan to use the Lancaster canal for my canal boat once i get one. Can you recommend good places to buy from?

We live in Cleveland...we bought the boat we wanted in Northampton..and moved it (three times now) to where it is based

it doesn't work like that.....in the main..... :cheers:

Is it feasable to buy miles away from where you'll moor it and use the canals to get there? obviously it'll take a while but???

Of course it is. We bought near Burton on Trent, and moor in Stretford, Manchester. Took 5 days for the delivery. Can't see a problem, other than of time and transport, with any distance, as long as the canal joins from end to end.

There will be exceptions for wide beams and the longer boats.

Is it feasable to buy miles away from where you'll moor it and use the canals to get there? obviously it'll take a while but???

Yes, it's part of the adventure!

We bought from Sandbach (Cheshire) and took a week to bring it down to Gloucester. Fantastic fun!

Buy it from as far away as you can, then you've got a brilliant excuse for a few weeks holiday, do it in stages, take as long as you possibly can to trundle up all the fabulous waterways... I nearly died of stress thinking about the logistics of moving the boat from where we bought it to where we wanted it but honestly, it was a breeze and the best fun I've ever had.

I live in York and plan to use the Lancaster canal for my canal boat once i get one. Can you recommend good places to buy from?

It is not always possible but my advice would be to try and find one that you like ( there are billions for sale ) that is for sale without a broker. That way you deal directly with the actual person who owns the boat and do not have to suffer bandying about to and fro with a broker as go between and can talk straight John Bull with the organ grinder. :cheers:

Tim

[quote name='g916' timestamp='1346709536' post='933324']
[/quote]

Yes - we did. We live in York too and brought ours up from Staffordshire when we bought her. Took a couple of weeks, but it was a lovely holiday :)