If people drove cars like they steer boats....

Chertsey

51 members have voted

1. 1. You are driving down a narrow country lane. It has some narrow points, but generally there is room for two vehicles to pass, with care. Another, possibly larger, vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction. Do you

• Slam on the brakes and slew sideways across the road
    • Stop in one of the narrowest places and expect the oncoming vehicle to drive round you somehow, without scratching your bodywork to
    • Drive into a tree
    • Adjust your speed so as to meet in a suitable place and then steer past carefully

Featured Posts

Your all on my hit list. :captain:

Wot, even us non-boat owners? :unsure:

It has been suggested on here before that those with very little experience attach L or P plates to their boat. I thought that was quite sensible. It must be difficult to gauge how experienced a crew is.

This may prevent confrontations and illicit more offers of help.

Wot, even us non-boat owners? :unsure:

It has been suggested on here before that those with very little experience attach L or P plates to their boat.

I have met several boaters whose craft should have had a "P" plate attached. I can think of several words which it might stand for, too.

Tim, I think that people do - but I've often read that one should keep to the outside of bends as far as possible, as the inside of the bend is likely not to have been dredged, so there's more likelihood that one will have to do a bit of pole-pushing.

Leo2, yes, we are singing from the same hymn sheet here. If I belt another boat it's not my place to say "Don't worry".

Worth noting that outside of bends tend to be deeper because the water has to flow faster to get round the bend so scouring the bend while the water on the inside of bend travels slower enabling it to drop silt, not being picky but some people may not know this, of course only applies were there is a flow.

Phil

Worth noting that outside of bends tend to be deeper because the water has to flow faster to get round the bend so scouring the bend while the water on the inside of bend travels slower enabling it to drop silt, not being picky but some people may not know this, of course only applies were there is a flow.

Phil

It used to be that the channel on canal bends was round the outside, because that was where the working boats went. Going round the outside gives you better visibilty on a blind turn, plus you are in a better position - unless actually rubbing the side - to manoeuvre if you meet someone.

If you cut a corner and it is shallow, there's a serious danger of loosing steering control if the bottom of your boat catches the bottom of the canal.

Nowadays, at least around here, the channel around bends no longer really exists because so many people cut the corners.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Hi Phil,

So, on a river, if you were approaching a blind bend to your right, would it be correct to toot your horn and approach from a more central position? (sorry for drifting a little off-topic)

Hi Phil,

So, on a river, if you were approaching a blind bend to your right, would it be correct to toot your horn and approach from a more central position? (sorry for drifting a little off-topic)

Hi

By tooting the horn if you mean One Long Blast then yes that is indeed correct. The central line on blind bends on rivers is often the safe place to be as it allows boats going in either direction space to either side to manouvre.You should also have charts of rivers as a for instance there is a sweeping bend at one point of the Trent where I travel between Holme and Stoke locks where I have to be completely on the wrong side of the river going upstream near the ammunition wharves as there is a very shallow shelf extending well over half way across the river and low trees. At our size and air draught of eighteen feet we need lots of room so never be suprised what and where you meet it. Of course vhf radio being essential on such waterways boaters will always be aware of other boaters positions whilst listening in to lock movements and announcements at such locations. :rolleyes:

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

By tooting the horn if you mean One Long Blast then yes that is indeed correct.

Thanks Tim. Yes, one long blast - that's what I meant. :lol:

[note to self: re-check horn signals!]

You should also have charts of rivers <snip>

Well, I've got my Nicholson's guides. I'm hoping they provide enough detail for safe navigation?

Edited by cl@rkey

Thanks Tim. Yes, one long blast - that's what I meant. :lol:

[note to self: re-check horn signals!]

Well, I've got my Nicholson's guides. I'm hoping they provide enough detail for safe navigation?

Yes, Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!!, but many inland waterways boats only have a weedy little car type horn easily mistaken for a car on a nearby road which you probably won't hear above your own engine noise anyway, and most boat owners don't seem to know the blind approach warning signal anyway so ease up and keep your ears and eyes peeled at blind bends ect.

Edited by bizzard

Just clocked this as have been boating today -

The original post to me sounds as if it is borne out of of one or two unfortunate incidents involving some poor unfortunate boater who does not understand that a big old working boat needs the deep bit in the middle and the outside bit on the (river) bends.

How do we educate these mere mortals who do not understand such things? - I had no idea until I read posts on here...

Just clocked this as have been boating today -

The original post to me sounds as if it is borne out of of one or two unfortunate incidents involving some poor unfortunate boater who does not understand that a big old working boat needs the deep bit in the middle and the outside bit on the (river) bends.

How do we educate these mere mortals who do not understand such things? - I had no idea until I read posts on here...

Two long boats approaching each other from opposite directions and turning into a sharp canal bend will both be or should be straddled across the canal anyway in order to set the boat up to take the bend so the bows 'would-should' comfortably miss each other.

Two long boats approaching each other from opposite directions and turning into a sharp canal bend will both be or should be straddled across the canal anyway in order to set the boat up to take the bend so the bows 'would-should' comfortably miss each other.

I think the issue here is depth of one boat - not the length...

Hi.

If you want to see some really inconsiderate boating, wanging boats around, hit and run merchants, homicidal maniacs and people who do not give a damn for anybody else go to The Norfolk Broads. Then come back to the canals and treasure what you have.

Harnser.

• Greenie 1

Yes, Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!!, but many inland waterways boats only have a weedy little car type horn easily mistaken for a car on a nearby road which you probably won't hear above your own engine noise anyway, and most boat owners don't seem to know the blind approach warning signal anyway so ease up and keep your ears and eyes peeled at blind bends ect.

Thanks bizzard, will do!

I just voted in the poll. Feeling a bit rebellious, I voted for driving into a tree. It's only now that I realise the vote isn't anonymous. That'll teach me! :lol:

I do know the right answer, Chertsey, honest I do. :)

Hi.

If you want to see some really inconsiderate boating, wanging boats around, hit and run merchants, homicidal maniacs and people who do not give a damn for anybody else go to The Norfolk Broads. Then come back to the canals and treasure what you have.

Harnser.

Strange - never been my experience on the broads - apart from one incident when we where hit by a boat at Reedley....

I think the issue here is depth of one boat - not the length...

Yes of course but on sharp bends a long boat has no option but to sometimes completely straddle the width of a canal bend ''the bows taking the racing line if you like to get around it'' and taking up the whole width of the canal otherwise it would just drive its bows into the bank and aground. One reason why the outside of narrow canal bends are scoured out by the propeller and so deeper on the outside of the bends.

Yes of course but on sharp bends a long boat has no option but to sometimes completely straddle the width of a canal bend ''the bows taking the racing line if you like to get around it'' and taking up the whole width of the canal otherwise it would just drive its bows into the bank and aground. One reason why the outside of narrow canal bends are scoured out by the propeller and so deeper on the outside of the bends.

Yes bizz - I get it, had I not been on here for a while I wouldn't though...that is my point...

Yes bizz - I get it, had I not been on here for a while I wouldn't though...that is my point...

So how would you get a long boat around a sharp bend Martin, moor up and walk up to see if anythings coming in the other direction? cos if the bends sharp enough you will have no option but to straddle and temporally block the fairway whichever method used to get it around the bend.

I am there quite frequently. Chaos!

Harnser.

Utter rubbish - it gets a bit tight around Wroxham and Horning - but never chaotic - if it is that can only mean it's getting better for the local economy as in local hire co.s

I wonder whether the sight of an old working boat's raised bow, which I imagine to be both impressive and imposing, can sometimes panic an inexperienced boater?

I'm not making excuses here, just thinking out loud.

So how would you get a long boat around a sharp bend Martin, moor up and walk up to see if anythings coming in the other direction? cos if the bends sharp enough you will have no option but to straddle and temporally block the fairway whichever method used to get it around the bend.

Ok - Imagine I'm an inexperienced boater - cruising along and I see this great big boat heading for me which then straddles the cut ...

it's about cutting fellow boaters a bit of slack..

I wonder whether the sight of an old working boat's raised bow, which I imagine to be both impressive and imposing, can sometimes panic an inexperienced boater?

I'm not making excuses here, just thinking out loud.

This is what they do not always get. OK for those of us who are on here and understand it's not the threat it immediately appears to be but to any one else?