Marine Ply/Hexaboard - what is the decking called?

Leonie

Featured Posts

The hexagonally textured plywood which deck boards are made from. What is this called please? Searchine on marine ply brings up lots of untextured flat surfaced boards. Hexaboard sounded like a good description of it but that seems to be something else entirely. I need to replace my rotting boards and want to source the good stuff again. Thanks for your help.

Try HexaGrip by Lathams.

Not readily available at your average timberyard.

Builders and fitters out often have it , as do people in the motor trade - it's used for lining some commercial vehicles.

Don't be tempted to go for the same manufacturers "Buffalo Board" it turns to weetabix quite quickly.

David

I may be wrong but I was under the inpression that hexaboard isn't a textured marine ply IE it's NOT fully waterproof, i think the finished surface is waterproof but not once it's cut, so all edges will need to be finished with either hardwood edging then sealed or perhaps the edges coated somehow maybe perhaps some 'rubber' paint.

I took the hexaboard ones off my old boat, then fitted marine ply ones edged with teak and then the top was covered with tread grip.

• 1 month later...

I know there's been much debate on various boarding options but would 18mm marine ply be the best option (better than hexagrip) if I can get it? Our local timber yard stocks it so it's actually easier to get hold of than hexagrip, and I could possibly get them to cut it for me too...

If I did go down that road, what would be the best thing to treat it with (surfaces and edges)?

David

I know there's been much debate on various boarding options but would 18mm marine ply be the best option (better than hexagrip) if I can get it? Our local timber yard stocks it so it's actually easier to get hold of than hexagrip, and I could possibly get them to cut it for me too...

If I did go down that road, what would be the best thing to treat it with (surfaces and edges)?

David

Protectakote paint? My link

Edited by Ally

Thanks Ally - that stuff looks the business!

I've just had a quote for 18mm Hexa-grip and can get it for about £80 a sheet (8x4) delivered so I may go with that option and make sure I look after the edges :)

David

Any info on the supplier? And delivery area? Will need some myself

tidy job that br, did you manage to get the sealant any where else? :wacko:

You mean apart from all over my hands? I actually used those latex gloves but still got it on my hands. You only have to look at marineflex and you've got it all over you.

The deckboards have been painted now. Marineflex is paintable so the stuff that's on the boards isn't a problem.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks Ally - that stuff looks the business!

I've just had a quote for 18mm Hexa-grip and can get it for about £80 a sheet (8x4) delivered so I may go with that option and make sure I look after the edges :)

David

LOL hope you've ordered it now. It took almost a month for my sheets to arrive...