New woodstove technology to think about

Featured Posts

New stove technologies make your old squirrel look pants...

p.s i can't remember how to get a youtube to play on here, so please feel free to do it.

onionbargee: For YouTube videos, you just copy & paste the url (i.e. not using the link feature)

Good vid! :cheers:

Almost too good to be true, it's amazing to see how incredibly efficient those new woodburners work, and surprisingly hardly any ashes, this must be the future of wood-burners for boats, if they make them small enough.

Might not be suitable for a boat due to been too efficient. Been more efficient means the flue will be colder, so less draw.

Usefull info, a little while ago I visited a farm on the welsh hereford border, where the owner proudly showed me his new wood boiler house, quite impresive kit a Polish company installed it, heats a 6 bedroom farm house a 40 x 15 foot swimming pool and the cool return through a stable block. His supply of wood is genourous being a farmer but the efficiency was in the 90s and in a 24 hour period it used just one normal garden wheel barrow of logs ???? very impressive

some of these designs light from the top down, and don't even have an ash pan, they don't need one.

None of the dedicated woodburners we've had in the house in the past 35 years has had an ashpan. The ash consolidates into a solid bed and is cleaned out about once a fortnight when the stove is on 24/7 in the winter.

BTW, did anyone else have no sound on the video? (Yes I turned my speakers on!)

Yes, my thoughts also. It would have been interesting to see how they cope with 'imperfect' wood, like pallets, or green wood.

Regards.

I can`t pass comment on the stove being discussed, but we have a GODIN wood stove to heat our house Regarding it using [imperfect wood]it has no noticeable effect. Pallet wood you may have to close the air bleed a small amount.Really green or wet wood, damper opened 1 notch, air bleed open a small amount. You can judge the burn rate viewing the flame, red fire etc looking through the glass in the door, It also has a air vent that prevents the door glass from getting dirty. I would imagine the modern stoves from other manufactures would have similar devices. As an aside it is approx half the size of the original stove that was in the house when we bought, but it produces 4KW more than the old one 13KW as opposed to 9Kw

For my next stove I'm having this one, but flat top.

I like the view of the fire!

I can do that with my stove (Morso Panther), but don't expect the stove glass to stay clean for that long. Airwash probably works fine if you're burning in perfect conditions, but on boats the flue is usually too short which means that most of this hi-tech stove stuff doesn't work very efficiently.

... Airwash probably works fine if you're burning in perfect conditions, but on boats the flue is usually too short which means that most of this hi-tech stove stuff doesn't work very efficiently.

Hmmm, perhaps worth further investigation, based on the comments expressed in the earlier video, which I understood to say that the flue in a domestic property had to be insulated. Together with the efficiency claims I took the insulation requirement to imply there was not enough heat lost up the chimney to create a strong airflow while coping with heat loss through the walls of the chimney.

If the chimney air flow on a long flue has to be 'enhanced' by insulation, surely a shorter flue will have at least one positive, in that the 'plug' of cold air is shorter, lighter, and more easily overcome?

It also seems to me that, if chimney technology has developed to the extent that stoves can be rotated 'around' the chimney, then surely it must be possible to have an extending chimney to add another 12 or 18 inches to the flue length?

This is a secondary idea, as I'm not entirely convinced a long flue is a necessity with a modern fire.

I do note though, that based on experiences recounted by others, a 9 or 12 kW heat output is excessive for a narrow or wide-beam canal boat. Perhaps this might be a more serious problem, in that can the same 85+% efficiency be achieved in a small, low output stove, what ever the flue length?

Regards.

ETA the earlier video:

Edited by Davidss

I can do that with my stove (Morso Panther), but don't expect the stove glass to stay clean for that long. Airwash probably works fine if you're burning in perfect conditions, but on boats the flue is usually too short which means that most of this hi-tech stove stuff doesn't work very efficiently.

Hi, it's going in my living room in my house with 25,000btu boiler. :cheers: Woodwarm are made in Devon and have a very good reputation but not as well known. Come with a 5 or 10 year warranty and manufactured to CE class 1: BS EN13240:2001 and Amd 2:2004

See here: Page 2. My link

See reviews here My link

The wood gasification boilers are very good coupled with a thermal store and run at efficiencys of 90%+ Especially good if you have acess to free/ cheap wood.

Cant wait to buy/install it in the next few months :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

We had a woodburner installed about 4 years ago. It cost in the region of £3,000, but it saves us about £500 of heating oil a year - I'm sure you can do the maths!

It uses airwash technology, and we too get secondary burn of the hot gases, although at the top of the fire not in a separate chamber below. On a cold night it heats our 2 bed bungalow from cold (no central heating!) in just over an hour, and especially if it's windy (Cornwall = windy in winter!) we have a hard job to close it down enough to prevent the need to change into shorts and a t-shirt!

I remember the installer told me that wood burners are not only carbon-neutral, but carbon-negative - a tree (which is growable from seedling to maturity twice in an average lifetime) converts more CO2 to O in its lifetime than the CO2 it emits during burning.

We spend about £130/annum on logs, and scrounge pallets and other windfall wood from the countryside - makes for a great afternoon's walk!

We certainly wouldn't go back now, although we do have oil-fired CH for cold mornings and a quick boost while waiting for the burner to take.

My only regret - that we didn't have a back-boiler fitted while we were at it, then we would reduce the amount of heating our hot water would need!

We had a woodburner installed about 4 years ago. It cost in the region of £3,000, but it saves us about £500 of heating oil a year - I'm sure you can do the maths!

It uses airwash technology, and we too get secondary burn of the hot gases, although at the top of the fire not in a separate chamber below. On a cold night it heats our 2 bed bungalow from cold (no central heating!) in just over an hour, and especially if it's windy (Cornwall = windy in winter!) we have a hard job to close it down enough to prevent the need to change into shorts and a t-shirt!

I remember the installer told me that wood burners are not only carbon-neutral, but carbon-negative - a tree (which is growable from seedling to maturity twice in an average lifetime) converts more CO2 to O in its lifetime than the CO2 it emits during burning.

We spend about £130/annum on logs, and scrounge pallets and other windfall wood from the countryside - makes for a great afternoon's walk!

We certainly wouldn't go back now, although we do have oil-fired CH for cold mornings and a quick boost while waiting for the burner to take.

My only regret - that we didn't have a back-boiler fitted while we were at it, then we would reduce the amount of heating our hot water would need!

We heat our 2 bed detatched bungalow in the west of Ireland with our villager boiler stove and it takes around the same time to heat the rads. No oil etc just the boiler stove. We burn coal that costs 600euro and lasts 7 months, average lit 10-13 hours a day. We are going for a woodwarm next time as our integral boiler stove has been discontinued :angry: . What is your stove make? Hunter, Villager, Yeoman Stovax, As installing a manufacturers own flue damper may help in windy weather.

You may be able to retrofit a boiler (clip in) to heat the water if the manufacturer lists one.

It is a green source, but not totally green due to transport costs and chainsaw fuel. I love wood but it's just too expensive here to use fully, but will buy a load to try on the new fire.

Edited by canals are us?

Very interesting, Anglia Fireplace and Design have been around for quite a while, they had a good rep 25 years ago when I was a labourer for a Cambridge builder who worked on some of their projects. Should say I have no other links or interests in them.

That sounds like something the stove installer says to everyone even though he hasn't actually thought it through.

Trees don't actually convert CO2 directly into O2. The O2 is a byproduct of H2O being split by energy from sunlight to produce H+ and O2. The O2 is a byproduct.

Wood burning can be said to be carbon neutral as it doesn't release any more carbon dioxide than the plant absorbed during its lifetime, or eventual biodegradation of the wood if it was not burned. However, the carbon dioxide released through burning occurs at a much faster rate than decomposition because decomposition takes years, so burning wood releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere at a more concentrated rate than decomposition.

As "Canals Are Us" alluded to, wood harvesting, transport operations, etc, produce varying degrees of greenhouse gas emmisions and inefficient and incomplete combustion of wood can result in elevated levels of greenhouse gases other than CO2, which can result in positive overall emissions.