Exhaust Fumes

Water Gypsy Spawner

Featured Posts

Hi

My boat has a 3 cylinder Lister engine and my exhaust chucks out loads of smoke and small amounts of diesel. The smoke tends to clear slightly after a long journey but then after a couple of days moored-up and charging the batteries it comes back with a vengeance. I've used diesel conditioner and I've filled up with more than enough diesel, I've checked the fuel injectors and they seem fine and I bought and installed a new fuel filter and seal. So what do I do now these things have failed to solve the problem? What's wrong with it?! Thanks in advance x

• Greenie 1

Hi

My boat has a 3 cylinder Lister engine and my exhaust chucks out loads of smoke and small amounts of diesel. The smoke tends to clear slightly after a long journey but then after a couple of days moored-up and charging the batteries it comes back with a vengeance. I've used diesel conditioner and I've filled up with more than enough diesel, I've checked the fuel injectors and they seem fine and I bought and installed a new fuel filter and seal. So what do I do now these things have failed to solve the problem? What's wrong with it?! Thanks in advance x

It is probably complaining about being run on very light loads charging batteries for too long. My Perkins MC42, a more modern engine (just) also smokes a bit after not doing anything but light loadeds and charging. So I find a bit of river and give it a good thrashing, and the engine!

But, just be aware I know nothing about 3 cyl Listers. I do know about 2 cylinder air cooled lifeboat Listers though, and how difficult they are to start at sub zero temperatures! Especially when the lifeboat is still in the davits and the bloody ship is rolling big time in a force 5 or above!

It is probably complaining about being run on very light loads charging batteries for too long. My Perkins MC42, a more modern engine (just) also smokes a bit after not doing anything but light loadeds and charging. So I find a bit of river and give it a good thrashing, and the engine!

But, just be aware I know nothing about 3 cyl Listers. I do know about 2 cylinder air cooled lifeboat Listers though, and how difficult they are to start at sub zero temperatures! Especially when the lifeboat is still in the davits and the bloody ship is rolling big time in a force 5 or above!

Easy Start :mellow:

Hi

My boat has a 3 cylinder Lister engine

Which model three cylinder Lister, exactly?

and my exhaust chucks out loads of smoke and small amounts of diesel.

As previously asked, what colour smoke?

The smoke tends to clear slightly after a long journey but then after a couple of days moored-up and charging the batteries it comes back with a vengeance.

Probably associated with running on virtually no load for hours on end then. Diesels don't like this, at all.

I've checked the fuel injectors and they seem fine

How did you 'check' them, exactly? Not possible for an amateur AIUI.

and I bought and installed a new fuel filter and seal. So what do I do now these things have failed to solve the problem? What's wrong with it?! Thanks in advance x

Hard to say really. Depends on the answers to the all the questions. Possibly glazed bores needing a rebore and new pistons, possibly worn injectors needing reconditioning.

How many running hours showing on the chronometer?

Mike

Are you sure it's diesel it's chucking out not oil?

When we had diesel getting into the exhaust (owing to fuel pump timing problems) it was igniting with much banging and melting of paint.

When we had oil coming out of the exhaust, plus the other symptoms you mention, it was because the rings weren't sealing properly (often caused by running under insufficient load although in our case because it was newly rebuilt).

The latter was cured by a good thrash on the river.

(The former was cured by Hairy Neil, and caused by a good thrash on the river)

Edited by Chertsey

• 4 weeks later...