Wednesday Mini Wheeeeeeeeeze.

bizzard

Featured Posts

This is the very latest, state of the art in fact extreme cutting edge in mooring up boats, especially aimed at the practicing tyro knotter. Well think of it, no moor mucking about with bits of rope and tying up your boats with breasts, springs, snubbers and lord knows what in the hope that your boat won't start ranging about when boats go by or the current increases and the wind gets up, by using unusual knots never described or depicted in any of the famous knot books. Like the ''Time knot'' the knot you thought was sound and would hold a battleship, but alarmingly gradually undoes itself and your boat drifts away in the night to awake in the morning and find yourself in pastures new. And there's the ''Fraid knot'' and the ''Mungle''which is really only any good for holding up your trousers, and of course the pretty ''Bow'' to mention but a few.

Well my idea is to use the product with the very well known name of ''VELCRO''. Velcro as most of you will know is used for boring things like tent flap fasteners, shoe fasteners for folk that can't tie laces, jacket, even bra fastening i've discovered the fastener at the back that we're often asked to undo and do up, and all sorts of other fastening stuff.

I can say from experience that the only way breasts help when mooring is if wearing a floozyfied top while boating , one might attract the attention of a passing gentlefellow who offers to tie the boat up for you.

And as for Velcro bra fastening... I feel I've learned something today

In the "nothing new under the sun dept", how about a small version of the vacuum ropeless mooring system which is already in operation in maritime circles:-

http://cavotec.com.ua/download/cat9/AMS.pdf

It has a certain advantage over velcro in the you don't need to stick anything to the side of your boat.

Howard

Edited by howardang

The end of the anser pin for all working pairs....

Indeed the anser is yes, all those kind of things can be sawn off flush and forgotten as there's no wretched ropes needed anymore so no more big horrible tangles to unpick or trip you up.

I think the velcro idea is good Bizzard, but the six foot pole to cast off may be cumbersome. I reckon Simon&Jan has it with the magnets.

Most canal boats are steel so you just need giant electro-magnets installed along the side of the canals. You could have a remote control, like for the telly, to switch them on so all you need to do is get close, point the remote control and Ker-LANG, safely moored up.

I'd have to fit steel fenders to my placky boat though :huh:

Indeed the anser is yes, all those kind of things can be sawn off flush and forgotten as there's no wretched ropes needed anymore so no more big horrible tangles to unpick or trip you up.

Aaaah. But the flaw with this (and magnets etc.) is that it would spoil all the fun such as this .. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49240

Forum would be quiet.... :closedeyes:

Aaaah. But the flaw with this (and magnets etc.) is that it would spoil all the fun such as this .. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49240

Forum would be quiet.... :closedeyes:

That's right. I thought deeply about magnets and discarded the idea mainly on the grounds of expense. Electro-magnets could be very dodgy in the event of power cuts, or the meter runs out and needs another £ coin, your boat would silently let go and drift away. :mellow:

In the "nothing new under the sun dept", how about a small version of the vacuum ropeless mooring system which is already in operation in maritime circles:-

http://cavotec.com.ua/download/cat9/AMS.pdf

It has a certain advantage over velcro in the you don't need to stick anything to the side of your boat.

Howard

Quite a good idea but, people tend get sleepy and inattentive when on night shift work, so if the vacuum pumps suddenly fail and no one notices the ship would just drifts away in the night like a spook ship.

I think the velcro idea is good Bizzard, but the six foot pole to cast off may be cumbersome. I reckon Simon&Jan has it with the magnets.

Most canal boats are steel so you just need giant electro-magnets installed along the side of the canals. You could have a remote control, like for the telly, to switch them on so all you need to do is get close, point the remote control and Ker-LANG, safely moored up.

I'd have to fit steel fenders to my placky boat though :huh:

B) Pat Pending

I can say from experience that the only way breasts help when mooring is if wearing a floozyfied top while boating , one might attract the attention of a passing gentlefellow who offers to tie the boat up for you.

And as for Velcro bra fastening... I feel I've learned something today

This is very odd BSP because i get the TV Choice mag every week and all sorts of advert pamphlet supplements fall out of it all over the shop floor, one of which is often a women's lingerie add pamphlet, and whilst studying this pamphlet whilst waiting at the cash desk and getting strange looks from the cashire have noticed these bra's in it with what appear to be Velcro fasteners at the back, the pamphlet emphasizes strongly that they're ''quick release''. In fact it was this experience that insticated the wheeze. :unsure:

This is very odd BSP because i get the TV Choice mag every week and all sorts of advert pamphlet supplements fall out of it all over the shop floor, one of which is often a women's lingerie add pamphlet, and whilst studying this pamphlet whilst waiting at the cash desk and getting strange looks from the cashire have noticed these bra's in it with what appear to be Velcro fasteners at the back, the pamphlet emphasizes strongly that they're ''quick release''. In fact it was this experience that insticated the wheeze. :unsure:

I can't say I've noticed that the ordinary sort are particularly slow to be honest...

If a boat accidentally hits you it would be stuck there whilst you clobbered the steerer

No. It would stick because both boats will have hooks, or was it fluff?

N