Stuart's Dad goes boating

Peter Lee

Featured Posts

Towards the end of my 40 year working life, I had a boss who, when asking for an instruction or procedure to be written for others to follow, would say, "Make it so Stuart's Dad can understand it".

Apparently, Stuart was a schoolfriend of his son and his Dad was one of those clueless people who can't find the right platform at a railway station, the right check-in desk at an airport or who goes the long way round the M25: basically he had little common sense. Indeed there was evidently some wonder that he was a father...

Anyway, it seems that Stuart's Dad occasionally hires a boat. I came across him on the Grand Union near Birdingbury Wharf. You can see his way of mooring on Youtube here:

There are hundreds of examples around of how it should be done but he failed to see these and use the equipment properly. That's what Boat Hire companies are up against - some people's only ability is to flash a credit card to pay for the holiday, being clueless in pretty much everything else. Fortunately, they are not in the majority, it seems to me. But for the clueless minority - if they can't even tie up properly what hope have they got of getting the more dangerous things right?

That's what Boat Hire companies are up against - some people's only ability is to flash a credit card to pay for the holiday, being clueless in pretty much everything else. Fortunately, they are not in the majority, it seems to me. But for the clueless minority - if they can't even tie up properly what hope have they got of getting the more dangerous things right?

I would think it's the handover staff at Kate Boats who should be red faced.

It doesn't look very boat like, but if nowbody told them how to do it properly, they didn't do too bad.

Maybe they should take some lessons of the professionals them that used their boats for a living, a nice demonstration here, another good lesson of "How not to"

Peter.

It doesn't look very boat like, but if nowbody told them how to do it properly, they didn't do too bad.

Maybe they should take some lessons of the professionals them that used their boats for a living, a nice demonstration here, another good lesson of "How not to"

Peter.

In the context, I'm amused by the name of the fishing boat.

Is this going to be a new trend here?

"Ho, ho! Look at what this stupid boater did! I am so much cleverer than they are"

You even took the time to video it :blink:

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Is this going to be a new trend here?

"Ho, ho! Look at what this stupid boater did! I am so much cleverer than they are"

You even took the time to video it :blink:

Richard

Such pieces of video film could surely be used by hire companies. After all, it is as important to learn how NOT to do things as to learn how to do them. I can see no harm in encouraging good practice in any aspect of boating (or in many other fields of activity for that matter).

Anyway, it seems that Stuart's Dad occasionally hires a boat. I came across him on the Grand Union near Birdingbury Wharf. You can see his way of mooring on Youtube here:

About the same standard as your own ropework then.

Mind your own business.

You earn only my contempt with your puerile video and pathetic post.

Such pieces of video film could surely be used by hire companies. After all, it is as important to learn how NOT to do things as to learn how to do them. I can see no harm in encouraging good practice in any aspect of boating (or in many other fields of activity for that matter).

How does taking the piss out of someone's ignorance encourage good practice?

In the context, I'm amused by the name of the fishing boat.

Really a well chosen name for a boat like that, only the incapable crew make it look silly, I felt terribly sorry for the poor deckhand who did so well with the fender, but didn't have a clue about what to do with the rope, not his fault, I think that nobody ever told him and/or showed him what to do, and I'm sure that he got the blame for the mess, poor guy.

Peter.

Maybe for reasons not obvious from the clip, he was unable to get a pin in behind the boat and rather than pull his front pin and shuffle up a bit he wound the rope round the playpen upright to bring it to the right angle to hold the boat into the side?

Maybe for reasons not obvious from the clip, he was unable to get a pin in behind the boat and rather than pull his front pin and shuffle up a bit he wound the rope round the playpen upright to bring it to the right angle to hold the boat into the side?

That was my thought when I looked at it

I would think it's the handover staff at Kate Boats who should be red faced

Given Kate Boats reputation, I'm sure they were given excellent advice at their handover but either forgot, or chose not to follow the instructions about how to moor.

There is an awful lot to take in during a handover, particularly if the guests haven't boated before.

It's a thankless task at times, having such limited time to impart all the information that's required...

Janet