Barton Swing Aqueduct "swinging" times?

frangar

Featured Posts

Hi Ever helpful peeps!

As we are due to cross the "tank" tomorrow just wondering if anyone knows if there is anyway of checking if its due to open....would be ace to be able to stop and watch it in operation...and really annoying to find out that we had missed it by a few minutes!!

Cheers

Gareth

That sounds a plan....I have found this on the Bridgewater Canal website:

BARTON AQUEDUCT OPENING TIMES 2012

2012 opening times for Barton Aqueduct are as follows:

1st April 2012 to 30th September 2012 from 9.15 am to 9.00 pm

1st October 2012 to 31st December 2012 incl 9.15 am to 4.30 pm

Does anyone know if they swing the tank overnight as was suggested in a post on here back in 2006?

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3688

Cheers

Gareth

That sounds a plan....I have found this on the Bridgewater Canal website:

BARTON AQUEDUCT OPENING TIMES 2012

2012 opening times for Barton Aqueduct are as follows:

1st April 2012 to 30th September 2012 from 9.15 am to 9.00 pm

1st October 2012 to 31st December 2012 incl 9.15 am to 4.30 pm

Does anyone know if they swing the tank overnight as was suggested in a post on here back in 2006?

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3688

Cheers

Gareth

No, is the quick answer :lol: The tank doesn't move much at all these days, but I'd advise you ring Mike Webb (the Bridgewater canal company man) on 0161 629 82 66

Guest leeparkinson

It is open most nights these days unless there is traffic on the msc i have got there at 4am in the morning when I was towing my brothers boat back to Leigh that was a trip and half setting off from Leigh at 6pm sailed to Lymm and back to leigh by 7am the next morning

Hi Ever helpful peeps!

As we are due to cross the "tank" tomorrow just wondering if anyone knows if there is anyway of checking if its due to open....would be ace to be able to stop and watch it in operation...and really annoying to find out that we had missed it by a few minutes!!

Cheers

Gareth

It's virtually stationary these days - TBH we never even considered the possibility it might open when we needed to cross it last year...

Crossing it though is a very surreal experience....

The Dog House approaching and crossing the MSC -

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

It may be a rare occurrence nowadays but I remember in 1981 when out on a family holiday waiting for 3-4 hrs as the aqueduct had swung early in anticipation of an arrival that turned up late !

Not a problem as we had an early tea & did a little fishing - Somewhere in the stairs cupboard I have slides of it moving back - really must get a slide scanner & put all the pics on the laptop from the late 70' early 80's trips !!

Hi Ever helpful peeps!

Cheers

Gareth

Been there a couple of times to watch this magic Swing Aqueduct, but never had the chance to see it in action.

But as on many subjects youtube has a video that showed me the machine in action, not as good as being there, but better then nothing.

Peter.

As has been mentioned, it's not very often it swings but it still does from time to time.

If there is any ship canal traffic during the night, they'll tend to shut it in the afternoon, and re-open it in the morning instead of having to go out at night to swing it. There have been a few occasions in the past where I've been caught out by it.

Also, in the winter, at the first sign of frost or ice, they do tend to close it, which would keep it open for the ship canal, and won't open it once the ice has gone.