Water leak alarm goes off !!!

Bunny

Featured Posts

The other week just as the Thames was coming off red boards and we had a bit of a rough ride up from Reading we stopped at Abingdon for water and a trip to the shops. As I went in to get my purse I heard the water alarm going off, I had placed underneath the floorboards in our bedroom just for this purpose. Turned out we had a leak from our domestic water pump, and we had about 1" of water underneath the back cabin. All sorted now but the new water pump is so noisy even under a dinette and a double duvet when it's on I can't hear the T.V. . Can even hear it outside of the boat , but at least we have water and not sinking, thanks to my little water alarm. Bunny.

The other week just as the Thames was coming off red boards and we had a bit of a rough ride up from Reading we stopped at Abingdon for water and a trip to the shops. As I went in to get my purse I heard the water alarm going off, I had placed underneath the floorboards in our bedroom just for this purpose. Turned out we had a leak from our domestic water pump, and we had about 1" of water underneath the back cabin. All sorted now but the new water pump is so noisy even under a dinette and a double duvet when it's on I can't hear the T.V. . Can even hear it outside of the boat , but at least we have water and not sinking, thanks to my little water alarm. Bunny.

Good to know it did its job!

I fitted one after my daughter had a similar leak to you on her boat.

I fit one on virtually every boat I work on.

I use a proper sensor and alarm panel, but I've seen people use cheap fridge alarms and stuff.

Going off at 1" depth is probably a bit late as that is a lot of water. I normally set mine to go off at about 8-10mm.

If the cause is the water tank or a broken pump, the sooner you can get to the isolation valve, the less water you will need to pump out.

Edited by NB Willawaw

I didn't even know such things existed!

Could you tell me what type of Water Alarm you have please?

What a great idea, especially for a boat.

Androo

I didn't even know such things existed!

Could you tell me what type of Water Alarm you have please?

What a great idea, especially for a boat.

Androo

There are lots of different models available. Here's one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-Flood-Overflow-Sensor-Monitor-Alarm-Water-Fluid-Liquid-Levels-Lots-of-Uses-/130727298029?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e6ff443ed

I think Maplins also sell them.

Further to Cheshire-Roses post, I'd also check that the pipework isn't in contact with something. If you don't, you could well be hearing your water alarm again in the near future. I'd suspect that the pipework has been moved during the replacement process, and is now just touching something, or the pipe has sprung out of a mounting clip, its going to be something silly like that.

If its a Surflow Aquaking pump they are pretty noisy. Don't overtighten the rubber mounting feet, just tighten them until the rubbers just starts to compress and stop. You may have trapped air making the noise worse.

If its a Surflow Aquaking pump they are pretty noisy. Don't overtighten the rubber mounting feet, just tighten them until the rubbers just starts to compress and stop. You may have trapped air making the noise worse.

Thought they called trapped air 'wind'

Well I never. I too didnt realise you could get something like this. So now for another silly question - do you just need 1. On my weekly checks I look at the inspection bit I have where you could see water if there was a leak (very technical explaination I know - forgive a learning newbie) so it that where I would place it ? :unsure:

Well I never. I too didnt realise you could get something like this. So now for another silly question - do you just need 1. On my weekly checks I look at the inspection bit I have where you could see water if there was a leak (very technical explaination I know - forgive a learning newbie) so it that where I would place it ? :unsure:

The very best places to mount them would be near fittings that 'could' / would be most likely, to be responsible for water leaks..........

EG Below pumps, joins in piping runs, and the 'lowest' point in your cabin bilge, (as well as below your stern seal maybe -= dependent upon how dry it normally keeps)

I have lots of them...I got them in the Pound shop...for....?...a pound !!

They work quite well...the alarm is £1 and you get 2 PP3 batteris for £1...

At that price...I have them under sinks...under loo pipes..under bed etc..

The alarms..have terminal underneath...so that if you lay them onto a surface...any water between the terminals sets them off. I have also soldered wires to one which I have terminated in a standard choc block terminal. I have laid this block in the bilge under the bed...so it will go off should there be water there..

OK..you could get expensive ones..but I think for the price..they do a good job..

Didn't know you could get them in poundland will have a look when I'm in there again. The one I have is from www.sonin.com marketed as a 'water alarm with remote sensor' saw it in one of the mags in 2008 . Has a button you press to test the battery. Very pleased it worked, there was only a couple of washing up bowls of water down there and some of the hot air from deepfreeze is vented underneath the floor so nice and dry down there now. Bunny

Didn't know you could get them in poundland will have a look when I'm in there again. The one I have is from www.sonin.com marketed as a 'water alarm with remote sensor' saw it in one of the mags in 2008 . Has a button you press to test the battery. Very pleased it worked, there was only a couple of washing up bowls of water down there and some of the hot air from deepfreeze is vented underneath the floor so nice and dry down there now. Bunny

They're not amazingly sophisticated from Poundland...but they work.

They have no 'test' button..but dabbing the sensors with a damp J-cloth does the trick.

As for remote sensors...they have none...however..I soldered 2 wires to the terminals and then terminated those wires in a choc bar connector. I just leave this in the under bed bilge. For my rear bilge....I use the same chocolate bar connectors but have inserted a couple of short lengths of brass rod that hang down into the bilge...at a height dictated by my other sophisticated mechanism..the plastic cable tie..

The water pump we had was a 'Flojet' and the replacement is a 'Jabsco' and on the box it says' silent running, self-priming', not impressed. Had to pop in to Lee San ( another story) and the owner/manager was kind enough to stick his head in the window and have a listen and he said it was noisy , they use one on their show stand . Will live with it until we get back to our winter moorings and have it looked at then. Bunny