Sinking boat

TheKeymeister

Featured Posts

So on Friday my worst nightmare came true, got a call from the waterways people (I forget the new name!) saying they've had a call from someone to say my boat is sinking and the ropes are the only thing holding it up. A quick dash out in the car, and it was pretty bad...

388036_10150925350872136_684723456_n.jpg

Scratched my head about what to do, and remembered I had a 24 volt submersible pump stashed away so gave that a go...and started pumping, slowly...so I left it overnight, and came back the next day to find it in exactly the same state!

Further investigation revealed the weed hatch at the back was submerged, so my pump was far too slow to be of any use. I then realised I needed help, big time. Tried the waterways people on the "emergency" number, ended up leaving lots of voicemails and getting nowhere. Tried the fire brigade in desperation and they couldn't help. In the end, I spoke to a family member who said a pump with a bigger flow rate would sort me out, and I got a call back from a waterways guy who agreed and said they usually get them in from HSS Hire...

A mad ring round and a last minute dash to Solihull to pick up a pump before it shut at 1pm, and I was properly tooled up this time... 50 gallons per minute pump with a 2" outlet...

181170_10150925356212136_1401527190_n.jpg

Just under half an hour of pumping and we were back to normal again, and traced the problem to a badly leaking stern gland that I forgot to check, and a non-working bilge pump that I also forgot to check. Lesson learned, fortunately I'm mid way through a refit and probably would have tried to bodge what was there, not much scope for that now, so it's made me start from scratch and do it all properly...

Here's the water mark after I re-floated it

600110_10150925357487136_502793498_n.jpg

Fortunately the bank is very silted up where it is moored, otherwise it would have been much, much worse - but I hope this helps someone out in the future who's stuck like I was, and also let the pee taking commence...

• Greenie 1

When I was on the Broads my local yard owner proudly showed me his new pump, shifted 2 tons a minute!!! it was huge, petrol powered of course. It would refloat anything as it could shift water quicker than it could flow over the transom or gunwhales.

Glad you are now afloat again.

Phil

Blimey ! was only about a week ago that i let you come past me on north oxford ,Then went past you yesterday pm as you were pumping out,good luck with the refit

chas

Thats what did it! Moved from my old mooring south of Hillmorton Locks to where it is now, it hadn't moved since October and didn't leak a drop which is probably what went wrong!

Fortunately the "expensive stuff" will be covered, I maintain diesel engines at work so happy to strip it myself, and replacement batteries will come from work too....

Keymeister

Hope everything works out ok for you - Bit of a nightmare for any of us what has happened to you.

In such a case, unless you know someone , a hire pump would be your best friend as you have found. For good news (Hard at the moment I guess) I have seen cruisers sunk far worse that have been re-floated & refitted by owners - Does your insurance cover you ?

Also whats the base make of yr craft ? Has the look of a shortened Creighton to me but other bits dont look correct for that ?

• 1 month later...

Only just seen the last reply - doubtful on the insurance as it was in a bad state beforehand anyway. As far as I know it's still floating anyway, being on secondment in London hasn't helped the recovery/refit effort at all

Any details on identifying the make/model of the craft are welcome! It's listed as a Dawncraft from 1965, although I've never seen another one the same. Has a diesel engine fitted in the middle, that looks like a retrofit (especially as it's a newish looking Mitsubishi). The sliding side panels to gain access to the middle look DIY as well!

30522_399428917135_3021707_n.jpg

168608_498902657135_7585963_n.jpg

All the folding roof section is pretty much u/s - had an accident with the wind when it was moored on the staffs & worcs a couple of years back and ripped the whole thing off and I have cobbled it back together as you can see (I love unistrut)... My other passion is old Land Rovers and I've managed to pick up a front windscreen, rear cab window and a pair of doors to replace the rotten mess that's there now, and a piece of canvas as the roof! Pics of the replacement will follow in due course

181916_498900672135_7804089_n.jpg

Refit is well into the planning stages now and I will stick another thread in the relevant section about the questions I have with the gas appliances.

Only just seen the last reply - doubtful on the insurance as it was in a bad state beforehand anyway. As far as I know it's still floating anyway, being on secondment in London hasn't helped the recovery/refit effort at all

Any details on identifying the make/model of the craft are welcome! It's listed as a Dawncraft from 1965, although I've never seen another one the same. Has a diesel engine fitted in the middle, that looks like a retrofit (especially as it's a newish looking Mitsubishi). The sliding side panels to gain access to the middle look DIY as well!

30522_399428917135_3021707_n.jpg

168608_498902657135_7585963_n.jpg

All the folding roof section is pretty much u/s - had an accident with the wind when it was moored on the staffs & worcs a couple of years back and ripped the whole thing off and I have cobbled it back together as you can see (I love unistrut)... My other passion is old Land Rovers and I've managed to pick up a front windscreen, rear cab window and a pair of doors to replace the rotten mess that's there now, and a piece of canvas as the roof! Pics of the replacement will follow in due course

181916_498900672135_7804089_n.jpg

Refit is well into the planning stages now and I will stick another thread in the relevant section about the questions I have with the gas appliances.

Look at the first picture, she's smiling and winking. :wub:

Nightmare!

Relieved that you've got things under control & are not too down about it. Don't know if I could've been as level headed as you faced with that situation. I raise my hat to you.

aiwan1-hi.gif

There but for the Grace, people.

Edited by Spuds

Enough is enough, it's a boat!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only joking, honest.

Martyn

Nooooo! They're all alive, with personalities and everything! You'll be telling me there's no Father Christmas and no Tooth Fairy in a minute.

:argue:

:lol:

Nooooo! They're all alive, with personalities and everything! You'll be telling me there's no Father Christmas and no Tooth Fairy in a minute.

:argue:

:lol:

Now don't start that old chestnut again. We all know it's a no-go area. Fights will break out in pubs nationwide.

However, I have often wondered how do tooth fairies carry money.

Martyn

Edit to add. Back on topic. i agree with Spud. Not sure i would have coped with the sinking.

(My keyboard has a habit of ignoring my fingered request for upper case letters.)

Edited by Nightwatch

Why would anybody take the pee? That's a horrible thing to happen and I guess everyone will be pleased to hear you have recovered your boat. Let the refit commence!!!

Seconded.

looks like a little 2 pot 10hp Mitsubishi Engine, Bullitproof little lump

It has 3 pots, I think it's a bit oversized for what it's powering to be honest!

Seems bulletproof so far, has survived an injection pump full of water and me overheating it, just remains to be seen if it survives the bath it's had!