Ashton Canal...do I need to book a passage?

frangar

Featured Posts

Hi Chaps

Due to a change in work dates I now have some more time for boating! So thinking of coming back from Manchester via the Ashton, Peak Forest and the Macc....

Does anyone know if you still have to book a passage down the Rochdale (well up the Rochdalel!) Ashton etc with CRT? Or do you just leave early to minimise any trouble which may have been overstated anyhow?

Also may be thinking of mooring for a night or so at New Islington Marina which looks nice from brochure....does anyone have thoughts on this?

Im not afraid of inner city boating....indeed have never had any trouble in Leics although know loads of people who avoid it at all costs! but when somewhere is new I feel some advance advice might help me!

Cheers

Gareth

Someone is on twitter or somewhere similar claiming nightmare at manchester marina ,i think it may be new islington , bin lids acting the goat ,snapped chain from boat to rings.

edit to add-

If you look at the Narrowboat 55's Twitter feed http://twitter.com/narrowboat55

Last night while they were moored up in New Islington Marina (Manchester) some yobs started messing about with the boat; chain has been broken, police show limited intrest

> WARNING Don't moor & leave boat unattended in New Islington Marina, Manchester .... pic.twitter.com/LL5uUjyu

Edited by gaggle

Thanks for that...read the twitter feed.....maybe not a good place to moor then! Will just make an very early start from Castlefield and go straight thro....read Hadars blog too which was very interesting...we have done the Erewash in the summer hols and this doesnt sound quite as bad!...think will give it a go but as they said take our time with marple flight etc....we are quite deep too so can see us flushing some water about...will be like boating when I started!

Cheers for all the replies so far...any further thoughts welcome!

Cheers

Gareth

I stayed at the Marina for a couple of nights just as it opened. Every night boats were let loose, there is no security to speak of, the facilities are nice and new of course, but its very exposed. The visitor mooring is basically on the public side and there is complete free access, day or night.

Here's 3 of the villains - I'd just watched them untie a BW work boat and push it out, and then they came along, looking through boat windows. I'd phoned the police in the meantime (took an hour to arrive). They have just been challenged by the wife before scarpering. Aren't those clothes just criminal!

IMG_0535.jpg

Cheers for all the replies so far...any further thoughts welcome!

Please have a read of the answers to Questions 8 and 9 on my Frequently Asked Questions page:

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/faq.htm

You do not need to push right through in one long go if you don't want to. I wouldn't recommend New Islington Marina if you're going up the Ashton, because it involves going up two further locks on the Rochdale then coming back down again. There is a very safe mooring in Telford Basin, just off the Ashton Canal between Store Street Aqueduct and Lock 1.

[See Aerial View.]

If you want to get out onto the street, residents are usually willing to tell boaters the gate code. Even mooring on the canal itself in that area is considered safe. This would put you in a good position to get up the Ashton flight in the morning, which is probably a good idea as it is now the school holiday.

However, if you want to stop at New Islington because of its facilities, it would seem that you would be better to stay with the boat while the hot weather attracts youngsters to swim in the marina. If you want a base in Manchester for a few days while you go exploring, the best place is Castlefield.

The incident in Islington Marina is unfortunate, but unusual. Many boaters pass through the Ancoats area on the Rochdale Canal or on the Ashton as part of the Cheshire Ring and the vast majority experience no problems at all, other than with rubbish in the water or with faulty paddle gear.

Mooring at Portland Basin is usually safe but, if you want to play safe, turn right onto the Peak Forest and moor up 100 yards or so after you have passed through the lift bridge. This is becoming a popular mooring and is quiet.

[See aerial view.]

• Greenie 1

The incident in Islington Marina is unfortunate, but unusual. Many boaters pass through the Ancoats area on the Rochdale Canal or on the Ashton as part of the Cheshire Ring and the vast majority experience no problems at all, other than with rubbish in the water or with faulty paddle gear.

Have to seriously disagree with that after being a resident at New Islington since it opened and feeling that i had to leave the marina for good at the beginning of June for my own safety and the safety of the boat. It's an ongoing problem

I would not return and believe things will only get worse there as marina management and police, as another poster put it, have 'limited interest'.

Castlefield on the other hand is fantastic. Moored there many, many times and never had a problem, never felt intimidated and never had a worry when leaving the boat unattended there, so I'd definaetly say to Moor up at castle field. Yes, it's another half days cruising/work with the locks down the but definaetly worth it and you'll most definaetly have peace of mind

Edited by lewisericeric

Funny; when I looked at New Islington earlier in the year and voiced my concerns here people told me it was wonderful and I had nothing to worry about.

It was an incident waiting to happen!

How Urban Splash thought a virtually unprotected mooring wouldn't attract loads of trouble in one of the most deprived areas of Manchester still astounds me...

Have to seriously disagree with that after being a resident at New Islington since it opened and feeling that i had to leave the marina for good at the beginning of June for my own safety and the safety of the boat. It's an ongoing problem

I'm referring to the incident in which kids apparently got inside a boat and threw stuff about. I have not heard of that happening before. Are you saying that it has? I am aware that boats have been untied there but that happens in other towns too. It is only this week that I have heard serious complaints about the marina.

This is such a pity as I have heard good comments about the marina from people and it seemed to be a more attractive spot for people going up the Rochdale than Ducie Street.

Not getting inside a boat no, but, on the other hand, there have been more serious incidents than kids just untying boats or making a noise there too! As i said, we left in june due to things getting seriouslyout of control and those higher up literally shrugging their shoulders and not knowing what to do due to a lack of common sense. Im also not just talking about kids either. Kids are there yes, and were sometimes being egged on by their IQ-matching parents. But there were also grown adults there too causing problems. I have a huge opinion on it all and many thoughts but will say little else. However, what I will say is that If urban splash had not allowed certain things to happen when the park was first ' unveiled' back in may, and maybe spent just a fraction more than what theyve already spent on the development by hiring a security company for that first weekend, most of the problems wouldn't still be happening now - the park wouldn't have got a reputation amongst the local scum as being a place to go for a free-for-all-'laff' (you know the mentality!!)

After all , if people, and I mean people of all ages, not just kids, are allowed to run riot and no one steps in to stop it and theres no proper functioning gates etc, what will happen? The next day, they tell their mates 'we went to this great place last night and ran riot ,lets do it again tonight with even more of us!'

They seriously screwed up a marina that had a great potential. Well done!

Edited by lewisericeric
  • Greenie 1

Not getting inside a boat no, but, on the other hand, there have been more serious incidents than kids just untying boats or making a noise there too! As i said, we left in june due to things getting seriouslyout of control and those higher up literally shrugging their shoulders and not knowing what to do due to a lack of common sense. Im also not just talking about kids either. Kids are there yes, and were sometimes being egged on by their IQ-matching parents. But there were also grown adults there too causing problems. I have a huge opinion on it all and many thoughts but will say little else. However, what I will say is that If urban splash had not allowed certain things to happen when the park was first ' unveiled' back in may, and maybe spent just a fraction more than what theyve already spent on the development by hiring a security company for that first weekend, most of the problems wouldn't still be happening now - the park wouldn't have got a reputation amongst the local scum as being a place to go for a free-for-all-'laff' (you know the mentality!!)

After all , if people, and I mean people of all ages, not just kids, are allowed to run riot and no one steps in to stop it and theres no proper functioning gates etc, what will happen? The next day, they tell their mates 'we went to this great place last night and ran riot ,lets do it again tonight with even more of us!'

They seriously screwed up a marina that had a great potential. Well done!

These urban marinas are not built for boats to use. They are a sop to the planning authorities to enable developers to build housing and commercial premises. They would not get planning permission for the development unless there was some sort of public realm works included. The developers ( in this area: Ancoats, Fairfield, Greenfield ) do not wish to encourage boats around the place, making it look untidy , what with their washing out and/or smoking chimneys, it's bad for business! So, after the initial press days " look at our lovely new marina" , the needs of boaters are gradually neglected until it reaches a point when they've all cleared off , except for the liveaboards who need to be able to live relatively cheaply near their work place and are not too bothered about actually going anywhere by boat. One of the aforementioned new build marinas was going to be partially filled in to allow more houses but that was a breach of the planning consent and hasn't happened (yet). Me cynical? Yep!

Bill

• Greenie 1

To balance all the comments, here's the facts at the moment.

:)

The marina itself, is quite lovely on MOST days.

There were instances 2 months ago, with young kids throwing stones at boats and the like.

Then, for weeks things settled down quite nicely. (The park was closed at the time and hadnt been open to the public).

They recently opened the park, after getting the CCTV camera operational on the council network.

Then...a few days ago, the warm weather arrived, and the park opened.

Again, you had groups of kids using the park (along with the mom's and dads who aren't much better actually). Adults drinking and swearing etc.

Some young kids, got onto a boat and rocked it. That's what caused all the damage on that boat. (They didnt get in and throw things around).

Photos have been taken of those kids, and passed on to the police.

The police, the council and Urban Splash had a meeting yesterday, re-urging boaters to keep reporting any issues, so that priority can be raised on the police list of places to clamp down on.

Urban Splash has hired a private security company to close the park at the end of each day, and clear everyone out, and open the swing bridge, so private boaters have privacy. Visiting boats, however, are still on the "public" side.

2 nights ago, some kids let a boats ropes go at 3:45am in the morning.

New signs have been added saying No Alcohol.

Urban Splash are investigating the local bylaws to see what the police can actually act on, and what they cant.

Everyone involved, does seem to be trying their best, but as I have come to understand, the law does not allow prosecution for actions which you and I deem unacceptable, but politicians dont.

The marina is full. We hope for the best :) The police have just walked through the park now, with their chief inspector, whose words to me were, " What a lovely place....and we want to keep it like this."

I still think it's a great place to moor near a large city, when there dont seem to be many marinas of it's type around.

• Greenie 2

To balance all the comments, here's the facts at the moment.......

Thank you for that, Dean. It gives a rather different impression that that given by a recent visitor who generated a lot of bad publicity for the marina on the internet. Unfortunately there have been others who have been glad to spread the story.

The person who has posted about this on Twitter had been referring to locals as "scum" even before arriving in Manchester and I really don't think that kind of attitude is helpful.

I do understand how the behaviour that has been going on is upsetting and threatening. I am sure the police could do something if they really wanted to. Is it not an offence to board a boat without permission? Or to interfere with a boat? Cutting or setting fire to ropes is criminal damage, surely?

• Greenie 1

Just to confirm that I referred to them as scum too, but im not the same person who had their boat trashed and put pics on twitter :P

However, Martin, I can assure you I wasn't trying to give an 'impression' but merely stating what it was like from our point of view. Different people have different tolerances, and whilst dean's got a more relaxed and positive attitude to things like this (love ya dean! ;) ) it was too much for us and I'm sure it would be for many others too.

However, as I said, I also haven't been a resident there since June, so cant comment about the present personally but have heard stuff is still occurring from a few differemt residents there that I keep in touch with. i just hope for the sake of dean and some of the other great people that moor there that it will get better but would personally still advise anyone who is planning to stay there on a visitor mooring (which is on the public side with access by anyone and everyone, 24 hours a day )to be very, very wary.

Billh - have a greenie.

Edited by lewisericeric

Thank you for that, Dean. It gives a rather different impression that that given by a recent visitor who generated a lot of bad publicity for the marina on the internet. Unfortunately there have been others who have been glad to spread the story.The person who has posted about this on Twitter had been referring to locals as "scum" even before arriving in Manchester and I really don't think that kind of attitude is helpful.

I do understand how the behaviour that has been going on is upsetting and threatening. I am sure the police could do something if they really wanted to. Is it not an offence to board a boat without permission? Or to interfere with a boat? Cutting or setting fire to ropes is criminal damage, surely?

I think that is a bit unfair , as one who passed some detail of and a link to the story on twitter i was only giving some info to someone who asked specificly about that particular location , now dean has give another side to the story we are all better informed .

At least this has given me an idea of what may or may not happen.....however from a visiting boaters point of view I would suggest if anyone can get to the temporary moorings then its no better than the towpath so therefore pointless for an inner city site!

I would at least want a locked gate if I was going to pay for an overnight mooring and the knowledge that if I was to leave the boat it would be there in one piece when I got back.

Im still up for the trip but wont be using New Islington as a mooring.

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers

Gareth

Just to confirm that I referred to them as scum too,

Yes, I was aware of that, but you made that remark after the incidents at New Islington. The person I mean used the work before even arriving in Manchester.

I think that is a bit unfair , as one who passed some detail of and a link to the story on twitter i was only giving some info to someone who asked specificly about that particular location , now dean has give another side to the story we are all better informed .

You are right. I should not have said "who have been glad to spread the story" but perhaps something like "were quick to spread the story.

There is a difficult balance to be struck. On the one hand there is a need to make people aware of the potential problems they may encounter. On the other hand it is all too easy to blacken the reputation of an entire area as a result of incidents that have happened at one location.

At least this has given me an idea of what may or may not happen.....however from a visiting boaters point of view I would suggest if anyone can get to the temporary moorings then its no better than the towpath so therefore pointless for an inner city site!

I would suggest that the towpath down near Ducie Street Junction is much safer at the moment. You don't tend to get groups of kids hanging around there.

Billh - have a greenie.

Well,thank you very much, is that good? Not knowingly had one before.

I've often found a handkerchief to be useful for collecting them.

Thank you for that, Dean. It gives a rather different impression that that given by a recent visitor who generated a lot of bad publicity for the marina on the internet. Unfortunately there have been others who have been glad to spread the story.

The person who has posted about this on Twitter had been referring to locals as "scum" even before arriving in Manchester and I really don't think that kind of attitude is helpful.

I have found attitude makes a big difference. I have friends who have trouble with people who I get on with. Some people can be so confrontational. My phylosophy is make friends not enemies and if that doesn't work, batter and move on ......

I've asked lads to get down off my friends boat roof and been offered cans of beer, for asking and not going ape :blink:

Police? Don't hold your breath!

Here Martin, have a greenie :cheers:

I've often found a handkerchief to be useful for collecting them.

Not sure if anyone out there ever bought AWOL :wub: magazine but there used to be a comic strip 'Blym the Pixie'. One episode was a guy with cold looking for something to cough in and the bag of Lime Green Chews that Blym found ............... :cheers:

Great mag snuffed out by money :angry:

R.I.P.

To put it in perspective...if I moored at Islington as a visitor, on the public side, would I leave my boat there and pop into town. Not on your life. Would I moor on the private side and leave my boat. Yes, no problem. The public do seem to be leaving the private boats alone now (which wasnt the case when Lewis moored here.). The private side is now quite full. I'd consider mooring on a private mooring as safer than mooring on a towpath. The public side gates have been improved, and one call to the cctv operators automatically notifies the local police at the same time. On the visitor side however, you're going to need to be alert at all times and not leave your boat alone... The "public" part of the park is just that....very public...but it's seperate from the private boat moorers.