Thames Red-Boarding Up ... AGAIN

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

It seems every time it rains for a couple of hours the Thames starts going red-board from top to near bottom. Can anyone remember anything like it?

EA River Conditions

No - but I've only been on the River for 12 years......

It's only been two years (?) since they put the status on the Web and those of us who subscribe to the status repots get inundated with emails - I've had twelve today!

Before that you had to ring up and I suspect not many did that. So we are more aware that we used to be.

Not been able to get out since Easter.....

It's only been two years (?) since they put the status on the Web and those of us who subscribe to the status repots get inundated with emails - I've had twelve today!

So have I! Have the EA gone mad? They are emailing everyone with each individual change which really doesn't help if you want to plan a journey or see the trend, in fact I'm not sure it helps under any circumstances. I've voted with my feet and unsubscribed, I'll just log in when I need to know and get a full list which actually means something.

So have I! Have the EA gone mad? They are emailing everyone with each individual change which really doesn't help if you want to plan a journey or see the trend, in fact I'm not sure it helps under any circumstances. I've voted with my feet and unsubscribed, I'll just log in when I need to know and get a full list which actually means something.

If you click on the top right of the email it opens the full web page. You probably already knew that.

We're supposed to be going upriver from Temple on Tuesday, not looking too hopeful at the moment. I'm surprised it has come up again so quickly, there didn't seem to be too much rain forecast, but if the ground is heavily saturated then it has nowhere else to go. Also maybe they're trying to get rid of the excess quickly if there are no events on the river this weekend (now that the TTBR is cancelled)?

It was pi**ing down in Liverpool all afternoon, but that shouldn't affect the Thames much :o

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I'm guessing here - but the system was designed for the "usual" conditions of the River, when there is an occasional period of heavy rain which overcomes the capability of the system to cope. The computer system was set up to give daily reports and if any (major) change report on a daily basis. This was street ahead of the actual display of warning boards displayed at each lock (What's the point of cruising up to a lock and then discovering that the River is not safe...). The telephone system was only marginally better.

Perhaps someone / organisation has complained at a RUG meeting that the computer system was slow to react.

The result is that subscribers now get a diarrhoea of reports every time ANY lock / reach has a change!

A complete pain-in-the-fundament for folks on the text message service and irritating to those on email.

But, hey, I'd rather be swamped with info than getting nothing....

These are unusual weather times (nobody takes any notice in the winter when most boats are tucked up) and folks are complaining. P'raps EA will modify thiongs accordingly.

OTOH there are some complete drongos around why need to be taken into a corner and shaken severely to make them see sense (see posts on YBW Thames forum). Jeez.

Water is potentially dangerous, fast flowing water is even more dangerous as various events recently reported in the press shows.

If you click on the top right of the email it opens the full web page. You probably already knew that.

We're supposed to be going upriver from Temple on Tuesday, not looking too hopeful at the moment. I'm surprised it has come up again so quickly, there didn't seem to be too much rain forecast, but if the ground is heavily saturated then it has nowhere else to go. Also maybe they're trying to get rid of the excess quickly if there are no events on the river this weekend (now that the TTBR is cancelled)?

It was pi**ing down in Liverpool all afternoon, but that shouldn't affect the Thames much :o

Tim

Oooo, you're on t'other side of the River are you (being nosey, it's nice to know wko's who). Some nice boats there, plus a proper "puffer".

This evening everything's Red coloured...

It seems every time it rains for a couple of hours the Thames starts going red-board from top to near bottom. Can anyone remember anything like it?

EA River Conditions

When I was on the hire fleet in the 70s I was told that the red boards (no yellow ones then) came out when the weir was fully drawn. I was told last week that they now come out with when 2/3 of a weir has been drawn so maybe its the EA covering their backs and putting the boards out far sooner than they used to.

However in view of the Bones incident and some idiocy I saw over the last two weeks (no boards, just a lot of flow) this might be all to the good except it rather traps those who are capable of boating in higher flows - says he trapped in Oxford waiting for a window to get to the K&A.

EA River Conditions

If its any consulation the River Nene is exactly the same, Strong Stream been issued again this evening it was only lifted on wednesday!

Oooo, you're on t'other side of the River are you (being nosey, it's nice to know wko's who). Some nice boats there, plus a proper "puffer".

This evening everything's Red coloured...

Lock cut

Tim

When I was on the hire fleet in the 70s I was told that the red boards (no yellow ones then) came out when the weir was fully drawn. I was told last week that they now come out with when 2/3 of a weir has been drawn so maybe its the EA covering their backs and putting the boards out far sooner than they used to.

However in view of the Bones incident and some idiocy I saw over the last two weeks (no boards, just a lot of flow) this might be all to the good except it rather traps those who are capable of boating in higher flows - says he trapped in Oxford waiting for a window to get to the K&A.

Trapped? I thought that red and yellow boards was simply advice from the EA? I think you're perfectly free to move your boat if you think it's safe to do so. I see boats going past me on red board from time to time. I wouldn't do it, but many people do.

Edited by blackrose

Yello,

Too much info is surely better than too little .... although I agree the frequency of emails from EA has been a tad annoying over the past week or so.

The stream here at Runnymede is a good walking pace, although I am directly in the weir stream. There are still a few craft coming upstream but not much coming down.

The worst problem I see is not being able to stop the boat in a controlled manner when traveling with the stream approaching a lock. I've had to turn my barge around in a hurry before at Penton Hook lock because the stream was so fierce. Not something I'd do again !

Experience is a fast learning curve.

Malc.

I no longer subscribe to the email service - its regularity - preferring to check on the day. I am in Kingston on Yellows so i may well move, but i am on a safe mooring so will see how i feel about it. The river is wide here so slower flowing than the narrow stretches and if i do move it will be up...far easier.

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=37551

I no longer subscribe to the email service - its regularity - preferring to check on the day. I am in Kingston on Yellows so i may well move, but i am on a safe mooring so will see how i feel about it. The river is wide here so slower flowing than the narrow stretches and if i do move it will be up...far easier.

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=37551

I saw that barge go past the other day.

If you know the river well then you can make a decision on whether to move. I have to say that I don't know exactly where the river currents cross and where the eddies are well enough, so I would always stay put on a safe mooring on red board.

I was at Hambledon lock the other day and there's a very strong back eddy from the wier towards the downsteam side of the lock. Plenty of boats get caught out there because unless you know about it you just don't realise.

Here's another picture of a barge stuck on Henley bridge. Just found it on YBW forum - not sure when it was.

425419_339620992783129_1507937373_n.jpg

Edited by blackrose

I was at Hambledon lock the other day and there's a very strong back eddy from the wier towards the downsteam side of the lock. Plenty of boats get caught out there because unless you know about it you just don't realise.

Others of note are:-

• Bray
  • Mapledurham
  • Goring
  • Days

Upstream of Hambledon the wind ALWAYS blows you off the layby..

Best if everybody stays away :P:P

Trapped? I thought that red and yellow boards was simply advice from the EA? I think you're perfectly free to move your boat if you think it's safe to do so. I see boats going past me on red board from time to time. I wouldn't do it, but many people do.

I know, but have you seen the flow under Osney Bridge - that and Osney Weir persuades me that at present it is not safe to try to pass Osney and the lock.

In any case there is the question of what Craftinsure would say in the event of an incident.

Unless the boards go yellow by Monday it looks as if it may be back to Calcutt and try again later.

I know, but have you seen the flow under Osney Bridge - that and Osney Weir persuades me that at present it is not safe to try to pass Osney and the lock.

In any case there is the question of what Craftinsure would say in the event of an incident.

Unless the boards go yellow by Monday it looks as if it may be back to Calcutt and try again later.

I'm not in Oxford, but it's red board down here too so I can look out of my window to see the water level and speed of flow outside.

As I said, I wouldn't move my boat in these conditions. My neighbour took his boat out today and came back later with half a tree wrapped around the bow from where a he'd had trouble turning.

The point is that these warnings are there for a reason.

Edited by blackrose

Forgot that one!

Not so much the flow if you're working down; put the boat in reverse.

Be VERY careful when trying to pick up the lay by. The lock House weir has an amazing pull even in normal conditions, although EA plan to do some work on this.

Trying to pick up a mooring between two boats on that stretch cn be most unpleasant. Get your stern line on first!

Forgot that one!

Be VERY careful when trying to pick up the lay by. The lock House weir has an amazing pull even in normal conditions, although EA plan to do some work on this.

Trying to pick up a mooring between two boats on that stretch cn be most unpleasant. Get your stern line on first!

Tell me about it,two weeks ago we had a wide beam wedged between our stern and the house opposite because he had no idea about mooring up in a decent flow.

I looked at it yesterday afternoon and decided it was not for me. I may go if most of the other locks go to yellow but at the moment I feel safer on the canal unless C&RT bods start playing silly buggers with mooring time limits.

Cheers

Forgot that one!

May I say that in my opinion putting a single screw, rudder steered vessel into reverse to slow its progress downstream is not a very good idea. The vessel will loose directional control because in effect it will be going astern although still travelling forward.

An outdrive boat or a twin screw boat will still retain a modicum of control.

The only time I would do it was when approaching a mooring downstream and with the stern angled towards the said mooring so the boat ferry glides into the mooring - and even then it is likely to result in a fair old bang because of the sideways speed caused by the flow. In fact I would never attempt a downstream mooring unless there was no realistic opportunity to turn and moor facing upstream.

May I say that in my opinion putting a single screw, rudder steered vessel into reverse to slow its progress downstream is not a very good idea. The vessel will loose directional control because in effect it will be going astern although still travelling forward.

An outdrive boat or a twin screw boat will still retain a modicum of control.

The only time I would do it was when approaching a mooring downstream and with the stern angled towards the said mooring so the boat ferry glides into the mooring - and even then it is likely to result in a fair old bang because of the sideways speed caused by the flow. In fact I would never attempt a downstream mooring unless there was no realistic opportunity to turn and moor facing upstream.

Hmmm -should have said gently or slightly or on tickover.

Not a lot of options at that place as the cut is only about 3 boats wide. If I lock down and turn som "person" is bound to have arrived and taken the space.

It's more of a mill race than a lock cut!

Hmmm -should have said gently or slightly or on tickover.

Not a lot of options at that place as the cut is only about 3 boats wide. If I lock down and turn som "person" is bound to have arrived and taken the space.

It's more of a mill race than a lock cut!

Absolutely agree - hence my comment about realistic opportunity.

On another note I see the weir in Castle Mill Stream appears to be closed and looks as if it has been for at least a couple of weeks. It also looks as if the weir at the top of the Osney cut is all but closed and I wonder about any weirs there may be on the Seacourt Brook. It looks to me as if the EA are forcing all the water down the Osney cut.

Absolutely agree - hence my comment about realistic opportunity.

On another note I see the weir in Castle Mill Stream appears to be closed and looks as if it has been for at least a couple of weeks. It also looks as if the weir at the top of the Osney cut is all but closed and I wonder about any weirs there may be on the Seacourt Brook. It looks to me as if the EA are forcing all the water down the Osney cut.

The water flow around Oxenford has always left me bemused; there are so many streams and most of them are very shallow.

Must be an absolute pig for the lockie to work. Even the Castle is a bit of a hike if he's the only one on duty, and I'm not sure whether (m)any of the others have any gates to work. We tried to get a dinghy up most of the obvious ones but grounded after a hundred yards or so.

The "Osney cut" is the obvious one for water flow as all the others wander around with the risk of erosion.

Must ask the staff when we're next up there (at this rate - next year...)