How many people carry a lifering?

Zayna

Featured Posts

I do but I am pretty sure it would be NO USE if someone fell over board. If I were to throw it to them I would probably end up knocking them out. I rather like the throwy things people use when sailing - light, back up small and when you get the hang of throwing you can throw them quite a long way.

Even though I don't think my life ring is any use, I still have it on board.

Last year in Lymm a woman fell of her boat - she was heavy enough that the other guy on he boat and I couldn't lift her out, so I dropped the ring in and she floated nicely to the side. She couldn't swim and I was surprised at the depth of the water. So was she.

When I first started this thread, I was wondering if a lifering was necessary in 3 feet of water, but I guess if a child is 2'6"... And what about locks, they're a bit deeper than 3 feet aren't they?

Agreed, sorry that was a pisstaking post. If it was a child, I'd be going in after them. I do have a life ring but it only comes out for river use. I find my boat hook better on canals as poeple rarely drift that quickly on the K&A

One more thing to think about, while thinking of people falling in...

I once found myself dunked in the Medway. Despite having a buoyancy aid on over my boating waterproofs, my wet clothes were heavy enough to weigh me down such that my head was below the surface. Had there not been a rescuer close by, I wouldn't still be around today.

So now when I go on rivers, I don't rely on life jackets / buoyancy aids; I make sure that the rest of my clothing is made of non-absorbant synthetic fabrics (the type of stuff that comes out of the washing machine nearly dry). If nothing else, it'll make me easier for someone else to drag out of the water.

I recently saw on a boat a monkeys fist knot tied around a tennis ball with rope that floated. Looked good and might, one day, even be useful.

Peter

I recently saw on a boat a monkeys fist knot tied around a tennis ball with rope that floated. Looked good and might, one day, even be useful.

Peter

Peter

Peter

On a canal at least it could be more useful than the ring and useful too on a river I imagine.

We have a dogs toy which is effectively a monkey fist knotted rope with a loop handle. I have tied this to a rope and thrown it and it worked rather well. I got good distance and the accuracy wasn't bad either.

We still have a life ring too(I wouldn't get rid of it) and have used it on a river to help someone as I posted earlier in the is thread.

Edited by churchward