Cooking Butter Beans

Arthur Brown

Featured Posts

I remember butter beans and being well -buttery! Tender and smooth textured, when I was a youngster.

Trying to recreate that is failing me :( I soak them and I simmer them but still they are crunchy and coarse textured. Will anyone offer their successful cooking tips please.

I remember butter beans and being well -buttery! Tender and smooth textured, when I was a youngster.

Trying to recreate that is failing me :( I soak them and I simmer them but still they are crunchy and coarse textured. Will anyone offer their successful cooking tips please.

Try this site. You don't need to soak butter beans, just use a pressure cooker.

http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtosoak.html

Thanks for that, these have been soaked for 24 hours then simmered for four and they are still covered by the Geneva Convention for bullets. They are definitely HTC.

You must adhere to Butter bean instructions,beans can be highly poisonous. :mellow:

At the moment these would better be used in claymore mines. Contrary to the GC.

Whilst I have extremely limited respect for the proliferation of sell by/eat by/display by/ etc by dates that decorate our foodstuffs, if your butter beans are a couple of years beyond their 'prepare by' date, then they will certainly require a longer soak than is normally recommended.

However - 24 hours should be more than ample, and four hours cooking should also be sufficient

(one starts the cooking by bringing them to a rapid boil for 15/20 minutes, before reducing the temperature to a steady simmer)

[does this help at all]?

Nope - -- the Bicarbonate of Soda is only to enhance the green colour in the peas :glare:

Nah

Not in my ex wife's families experience where mushy peas were traditional for Sunday dinner

Old dried peas soaked overnight in water with one bicarb tablet - mushy peas of a (kind of unattractive actually) pale green colour but very tasty and rather lovely

No Bicarb - no mushy peas

Nah

Not in my ex wife's families experience where mushy peas were traditional for Sunday dinner

Old dried peas soaked overnight in water with one bicarb tablet - mushy peas of a (kind of unattractive actually) pale green colour but very tasty and rather lovely

No Bicarb - no mushy peas

I beg to differ - - We'll have to arrange a pea 'mush-off' sometime

You may be surprised :glare:

I soak my butter beans for 24 hours (or thereabouts), changing the water once. Then boil them up, adding chopped celery and a tin of tomatoes. Serve hot with thinly sliced raw onion and olives. Om nom nom.

Hmm. That might be tomorrow's tea...

Poor fool you have been watching Guy Martin! If you are up a Mountain water boils at a lower temperature. Down in Devon my pulses are super!

Id watch Guy Martin boiling butter beans any day...

• Greenie 1