Judges ruling

Ptb

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I have to bring your attention to a court rulling if last year...

Judge halburt deemed in his wisdom that......

A boat on the llangollen canal ,whom had not had licence or mooring for some years, was, entitled to dig out land where he was tied up because it was a little eroded, so as to make all his boat in, if you like, a private mariner!

The boat owner, a live aboard, then promptly went home got a jcb and dug a load of the bank away. Now the boat sits in bws water but over his land. Hence no mooring required, or it seems no licence...

So kieth E, you have a point, this is a court precident, this fellow has " got away without " paying anything!!! On a judges say so, so where does that leave the rest of us?

No myth at all..

It's just past wrenbury where the said boat is!!

You can go and see it ask the owner, or even look up the court case, it was in crewe court I think, a couple of years ago. All kept very hush hush!!

No myth at all..

You can go and see it ask the owner, or even look up the court case, it was in crewe court I think, a couple of years ago. All kept very hush hush!!

Bet BW were mythed......

No myth at all..

Is this the chap who has hen coops just past the plant nursery on the way out of Wrenbury in the Llangollen direction? I've been past there a time or two in the last 12 months; February was the last time and I don't think the boat's position or the canal bank has changed in that time.

No myth at all..

Could you satisfy my curiosity - why have you started a topic on this?

Richard

Why not start this topic?

It seems anything goes..

I can get you the exact location of this boat if you wish..

As I say, he pays nothing, legally!! All because judge haliburt made a ruling, why then, do I pay to be on the canal?

Shall I find s field, dig it out and moot there ?

It seems anything goes..

As I say, he pays nothing, legally!! All because judge haliburt made a ruling, why then, do I pay to be on the canal?

It's a moot point.

This reminds me of the two cruisers that are moored in the reeds approaching Croxton Flash. I pass there often and wonder whether it is classed as a mooring by BW. I think the occupant is there by arrangement with the farmer. When I went past last Wednesday I was surprised to see that one of the cruisers was off the mooring for the first time in my experience.

010102.jpg

You pay for the canal because, um, they cost money to maintain. It's not that difficult to understand. I am not sure why you would want to not pay for the right to such a wonderful resource.

Not looking for happiness old bean, I am already happy thank you!

Looking for fairness!!

Then dig yourself a hole.

It seems anything goes..

Yeah - - I think you should . . . . . definitely

Hello all,

I have to bring your attention to a court rulling if last year...

Judge halburt deemed in his wisdom that......

A boat on the llangollen canal ,whom had not had licence or mooring for some years, was, entitled to dig out land where he was tied up because it was a little eroded, so as to make all his boat in, if you like, a private mariner!

The boat owner, a live aboard, then promptly went home got a jcb and dug a load of the bank away. Now the boat sits in bws water but over his land. Hence no mooring required, or it seems no licence...

So kieth E, you have a point, this is a court precident, this fellow has " got away without " paying anything!!! On a judges say so, so where does that leave the rest of us?

I know someone on the Macclesfield Canal who years ago made an arrangement with BW such that he would not have to pay a mooring fee for an end of garden mooring excavated into his land with a four foot deep concrete wall bankside.

Does not stop them from time to time trying to renege.

Edited by blodger

You pay for the canal because, um, they cost money to maintain. It's not that difficult to understand. I am not sure why you would want to not pay for the right to such a wonderful resource.

Then dig yourself a hole.

Interesting point , agreed it's a wonderful resource , but I would be interested in knowing how much of what I pay in license, BSS and mooring goes on the maintenance of the canal as opposed to the "linear" park it sits in.

Now I am in a hole I will stop digging.

Edited by Tuscan

Is this the chap who has hen coops just past the plant nursery on the way out of Wrenbury in the Llangollen direction? I've been past there a time or two in the last 12 months; February was the last time and I don't think the boat's position or the canal bank has changed in that time.

Went past it a few days back...and its the same position as it was several years ago...

I pulled into the space to avoid scratching my paintwork from an ongoing boat...and hit it as I did last time....so he can't have dug much.

I guess..he may not pay to moor there...but if he wants to move...its a different matter..

It is more a 'canal side shed' than a boat.

It's a moot point.

This reminds me of the two cruisers that are moored in the reeds approaching Croxton Flash. I pass there often and wonder whether it is classed as a mooring by BW. I think the occupant is there by arrangement with the farmer. When I went past last Wednesday I was surprised to see that one of the cruisers was off the mooring for the first time in my experience.

010102.jpg

Went past at end of last year...and despite starting to glare..noticed a current license on one.

It seems anything goes..

Why not?

But don't be surprised if BW come along and install new campshedding all along the old bank line to protect the integrity of the cut and prevent precious water loss from the leaky old hole you dug out....

In fact why not just buy yourself a field and dig a hole in it to keep your bote in..???

As long as the owner of the 'boat' doesn't move it, and it's outside BW's boundary, it may as well be a shed. It may look like a boat, but the similarity seems to end there.

If BW fancy piling the boat in, that would seem reasonable.

Edited by Higgs

So let me get this right.

Someone moors their boat on their own land, and pays BW nothing...?

Im outraged!!!!!!

This loophole where people are free to do what they like with their own property must stop. Its a danger to the feudal system.

Next thing we know, people who moor in the sea wont be paying BW.

Edited by fuzzyduck