powering a tv

Boatman Al

Featured Posts

12v all the way!

You can use any 12v tv that has an external power supply. Replace it with a DC-DC regulator that can handle the current.

I paid £9 for a 3amp (36w) DC reg. from maplins (wait for them to be on offer, it comes up regularily).

It came with the usual selection of power tips, even one that fitted my wiero LG connector.

12v all the way!

You can use any 12v tv that has an external power supply. Replace it with a DC-DC regulator that can handle the current.

I paid £9 for a 3amp (36w) DC reg. from maplins (wait for them to be on offer, it comes up regularily).

It came with the usual selection of power tips, even one that fitted my wiero LG connector.

Link please!

I'm often moored near a boat which puts out the quietest towpath generator I've ever heard - Honda Silent Generator EU10i. Now I'm not a genny fan but this barely murmers, I can be moorerd next door and I hardly hear it. You pay for the lack of noise, as its not cheap.

Link please!

3amp dc-dc regulator

These have been mentioned many times on here, with the added note not to use the cig style socket, cut it off and use a good connector to your 12v system. 36watts is your limit, mine is way way under that.

They go on offer around twice a year for £9.99, last time was January when I got 3 of 'em, so the next offer cant be far away. Sorry they are all used up :) before u ask. :lol:

-screen @12v

-freeview box @12v

-divx player @9v

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

I don't understand why a big TV is needed on a NB - you can't get that far away from it, and smaller sets tend to use less juice.

No it wouldn't, the resonance would bugger up the sound quality.

For the BBC regatta coverage, that would be a positive advantage!

3amp dc-dc regulator

These have been mentioned many times on here, with the added note not to use the cig style socket, cut it off and use a good connector to your 12v system. 36watts is your limit, mine is way way under that.

They go on offer around twice a year for £9.99, last time was January when I got 3 of 'em, so the next offer cant be far away. Sorry they are all used up :) before u ask. :lol:

-screen @12v

-freeview box @12v

-divx player @9v

Difficult to be certain without dissecting one but I'd be very surprised if they offered any additional protection over your normal 12V supply.

They are certainly not to be compared with the Amperor or Victron 12V stabilisers.

Although they are useful for running stuff at lower voltages

Www.kogan.co.uk.

About £100 for 19" TV witH DVD plus 12v power supply lead.

I got one for Xmas - has worked fine for 6 months, with crap 12v batteries that often fell to less than 11v, and new batteries that charge at 15v..... Neither extreme has caused any issues with the TV.

cheers everyone

this kogan place looks like the one. 102 quid for a 24 inch 12v. cheers for the link. how many batteries are you running?

I don't understand why a big TV is needed on a NB - you can't get that far away from it, and smaller sets tend to use less juice.

No it wouldn't, the resonance would bugger up the sound quality.

It might need internal Spray-foam to prevent that. :mellow:

Difficult to be certain without dissecting one but I'd be very surprised if they offered any additional protection over your normal 12V supply.

They are certainly not to be compared with the Amperor or Victron 12V stabilisers.

Although they are useful for running stuff at lower voltages

I guess its as it is with most things, you get what you pay for.

They do however put out a steady 12.1v (in the 12v setting) regardless of the batteries being at 10.5v-14.5v (i've not tested outside these voltages).

I guess its as it is with most things, you get what you pay for.

They do however put out a steady 12.1v (in the 12v setting) regardless of the batteries being at 10.5v-14.5v (i've not tested outside these voltages).

So that is a buck / boost regulator then - It will probably operate over significantly wider input voltages too ! What current / power output can they supply, and what cost are they ?

Nick