Lincoln

Domino_2

Featured Posts

We are heading towards Lincoln (need to visit the services), and were hoping to spend a couple of days there - but where are the best moorings for a 60ft narrowboat?

We were there yesterday, no mooring that we could see in the basin, went through the Glory hole & turned just before the lock (we are 57' you should get a 60' round with a bit of care) & mored by the road, there is a gate by the "island" to get onto the road & only a short walk to the center.

Alf

PS There was a boat on the service mooring but we managed to get in to dump rubbish, hopefully its gone before you get there.

Edited by Alf27

The official visitors mooring is just a short way before the high bridge, before you get to the Pool (a couple of hundred yards after the services)

The mooring just after the Glory Hole is good during the day but I'm not so sure I'd trust it for an overnight stop. Nearer the lock, as suggested by Alf, is probably OK

does anyone know, do you need an anchor and side lights to sail up the trent to Torksey? Our NB like most didnt come with side lights as standard and i dont fancy fitting any for the occasional trip to Lincoln !

Im sure last time (2005!) we sailed to lincoln we moored in the brayford for a night, is that no longer available for visitors?

Stayed two nights at the 'island' by the road and we had no problems. Dogs loved chasing the swans. Road is a bit noisy till about 10pm as it seems to be a rat run. Must have been good we stopped in the same spot for another couple of days on the way back. If you have dogs the 'Arboretum' is no far away and a great place to let them run.

does anyone know, do you need an anchor and side lights to sail up the trent to Torksey? Our NB like most didnt come with side lights as standard and i dont fancy fitting any for the occasional trip to Lincoln !

Im sure last time (2005!) we sailed to lincoln we moored in the brayford for a night, is that no longer available for visitors?

No you don't need lights (unless you are planning to go at night) but I would strongly recommend an anchor (even though it's not actually compulsory)

The visitor moorings on Brayford Pool collapsed a few years ago and haven't been replaced.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. We've got to go to Lincoln as need the sanitary - but might well only stop for the day and return to Saxilby for the night.

Adora Belle - I agree with Keeping Up - an anchor really should be a must, and a VHF radio can also be very useful when doing the River Trent.

We were there yesterday, no mooring that we could see in the basin, went through the Glory hole & turned just before the lock (we are 57' you should get a 60' round with a bit of care) & mored by the road, there is a gate by the "island" to get onto the road & only a short walk to the center.

Alf

PS There was a boat on the service mooring but we managed to get in to dump rubbish, hopefully its gone before you get there.

Thats where we moored last week for 3 nights with no problem. On the way down we managed to find a space on the visitor moorings (couldn't go through the Glory Hole as river was running too fast. There is a small nb moored right in the middle of the visitor moorings that was there on the way down and still there on the way back.

We moored in the Pool in the mid 90s but they are building a restaurant there now. However, we did pick up a news letter in Boston that said that the Brayford Trust are planning to refgurbish the moorings on the South side of the pool and will be providing visitor moorings.

Regards

Pete

"return to Saxilby for the night"

We stopped at the moorings just past the Burton Waters Marina, quiet in spite of the pub & railway. Also just a short walk by road to the marina, which has a very usefull general store for essentials like milk & papers etc.

I queried the mooring situation with the Brayford Trust the reply was -

With regard to your recent query, regrettably there are no visitor moorings in the Pool at the moment. However both funding and planning permission have been secured to provide new moorings for visitors in the near future.

In the meantime there are temporary visitor moorings available from BWB on the Fossdyke at the entrance to the Pool

Becci Linney

On behalf of Brayford Trust

Hope this helps.

Edited by Alf27

The official visitors mooring is just a short way before the high bridge, before you get to the Pool (a couple of hundred yards after the services)

The mooring just after the Glory Hole is good during the day but I'm not so sure I'd trust it for an overnight stop. Nearer the lock, as suggested by Alf, is probably OK

Yes the moorings just after the The Glory Hole are fine during the day and convenient for everything. But not sure I would want to overnight there. We are a student town and the University,is not far away! It can be noisy. Going back through the Brayford Pool and under the road bridge, on the left hand side are some 24 hour BW moorings. Not sure what its like there. Not been up there for some time. Should be ok, there are lots of live aboards just up from there.

Another alternative is the Marina in the Brayford Pool they might be able to fit you in. No idea what they charge. Hope this is some help.

We have found the BW visitor moorings (only a short stretch) to be fine during the day but a little noisy by night if the students are still in residence. By far our favoured mooring for Lincoln is just through the Glory Hole under the willow trees. Can be a bit noisy by day especially at the weekend when the shopping centre is busy but by night it is quiet enough and there are plenty of pubs at hand.

Failing that there are some moorings just before Stamp End lock on the sluice side of the river but beware if they are drawing water off the canal as the flow is very strong in that area.

The moorings at the Pyewipe now seem to be managed by BW as well so there is now the option of leaving the boat there and taking the short walk into town. If it is a sunny weekend though expect something to be rafted up to you when you get back. The Pyewipe is a busy pub. :cheers: