Thames River Pageant..

Featured Posts

yes she did appear on the beeb, I was playing nerdy boat spotter, and said "there's that lovely tug I wanted to buy, but some git beat me to it." :rolleyes:

I must have blinked...

Brilliant, this is a brilliant read and far more entertaining than the Beebs efforts covering the Thames Pageant - and yes I did watch it and yes, IMHO it was drivel. IMO, it was a lost opportunity to encourage the nation (well Beeb watchers) to engage with many aspects of our past er ... I mean culture.

Anyway, amongst my laughter and enjoyment, I took 10 minutes and to take 'direct action'. I have just sent an on-line complaint to the BBC.

... and I can say, for me, it was liberating.

Thanks Tim I will take it down with me to my Mum and hopefully she will invite her friend round and we can then relive the fact that the BBC realised that this was an event for entertainment and not a history lesson.

A well produced programme would have made the history lesson interesting.

• 4 months later...

The latest edition of the PLA's pagazine - Tideway matters - is devoted to the pageant. (Be warned - 13 MB download).

Note in particular the photo on page 7, and positive comments about the narrowboaters on pages 12 and 20.

I understand that discussions continue with the organisers about producing a decent DVD of all the BBC material that was not broadcast... In the meantime here's a brief item broadcast beforehand on Swiss TV.

The latest edition of the PLA's pagazine - Tideway matters - is devoted to the pageant. (Be warned - 13 MB download).

Note in particular the photo on page 7, and positive comments about the narrowboaters on pages 12 and 20.

I understand that discussions continue with the organisers about producing a decent DVD of all the BBC material that was not broadcast... In the meantime here's a brief item broadcast beforehand on Swiss TV.

Thank you for the links

OK, you asked for it ....

Here is my (ridiculously large) collection of all the photos and videos that participants, and people on the bank, have sent me so far.

Most were taken on the day, but there are also some of the rehearsals beforehand.

If - and this seems quite a good winter activity - anyone wants to add more links to that page, then please read the instructions first.

Here is my (ridiculously large) collection of all the photos and videos that participants, and people on the bank, have sent me so far.

Most were taken on the day, but there are also some of the rehearsals beforehand.

If - and this seems quite a good winter activity - anyone wants to add more links to that page, then please read the instructions first.

Hm...

This requires me to set aside a viewing day. I will start after lunch.

N

Several video links are no longer valid. The ones I've found are the Sky coverage (shame for us, because we featured quite strongly on Sky) and the WI dock submitted by Ollie Brown.

Tim

Several video links are no longer valid. The ones I've found are the Sky coverage (shame for us, because we featured quite strongly on Sky) and the WI dock submitted by Ollie Brown.

Tim

Dear Tim

Thanks for spotting that - rather frustrating... When I have some time I will see if I can find them again, update the page, and then post again here.

Dear Tim

Thanks for spotting that - rather frustrating... When I have some time I will see if I can find them again, update the page, and then post again here.

I have emailed Sky to ask whether their coverage is available in any form, no reply as yet.

The BBC ONE SHOW did some coverage at WI dock on the Thursday evening prior, Not narrowboats, I haven't checked to see whether that has survived (unlikely).

Tim

• 2 years later...

I thought some might like to know about this 30 minute BBC film looking back on the pageant, part of a series called “Real lives reunited”.

Not many shots of narrowboats, I am afraid. And there is an interlude in the middle about Mrs Thatcher….

It is available on BBC iplayer here, for another couple of weeks. I learnt about it from the latest PLA newsletter here.

I thought some might like to know about this 30 minute BBC film looking back on the pageant, part of a series called “Real lives reunited”.

Not many shots of narrowboats, I am afraid. And there is an interlude in the middle about Mrs Thatcher….

It is available on BBC iplayer here, for another couple of weeks. I learnt about it from the latest PLA newsletter here.

Thanks for that.

We're seen arriving at WI Dock at 05:40, blink and you miss it ;)

Tim