Birmingham and Fazeley Canal

Featured Posts

Haven't done the bit into Birmingham in a while, but most people seem to favour Curdworth as a stop over point, rather than anywhere closer in.

It depends on how long you like your boating days though, because although that then only gives about a 10 mile run-in to central Brum from there, I make the lock-count something like 27.

No doubt you can make a reasonable overnight stop a bit closer in than that, although my memory is of much of it being "less than picturesque", once you have progressed much beyond Curdworth.

Others may disagree!

I think the stretch of canal between the junction at tamworth and the locks up to the dog and doublet is as scenic as any I have seen but after Minworth its the big city sprawl I'm afraid. I had a fantastic day with my young son Adam when we moored up and walked to Drayton Manor, suffice to say it was a monday and the ankle snappers were in school!!!

I would go with last stopping point above the Dog and Doublet and walk back down to the pub; its a great pub. It is then 33 locks and 11 miles to Old Turn. If you want to reduce the lock count in one day then the Kingsley Pub as has been said may be OK. The pub was closed down the only time we stopped there so was very quiet, no idea if it is open again. From there it is 27 locks and 9 miles to Old Turn.

From Fazeley to Curdworth bottom lock, you can moor anywhere though in a couple of places it may be too shallow depending on your boat. The bottom of Curdworth locks is one of our favourite local moorings. You can moor 2 locks up at Dog and Doublet, but space is limited and we prefer to moor at the bottom and walk up to the pub. Plus the noise of the M42 is starting to encroach by then. The Curdworth flight is quite picturesque but unfortunately now somewhat ruined by motorway noise. Mooring just above Curdworth top lock is another surprisingly good place - even though close to an M6 toll road feeder, it is very quiet at night. Official Curdworth visitor moorings are quiet but in a deep cutting so no TV reception! It is still OK up to start of Minworth, although a large sewage works can add to the fresh tang of the country! I wouldn't stop between start of Minworth and central Brum, except Cuckoo wharf or possibly (taking the 1st left at Salford) the Star City moorings which are perhaps a little bleak, though I think safe. If you do go that way (Garrison, Ashtead etc) I think it is more interesting than Aston locks, but beware of limited headroom in Ashtead tunnel and be aware that if someone drains the lock above the tunnel whilst you are in it, that might cause you to contact your handrail on the roof. There are visitor moorings at Aston but personally I wouldn't particularly want to night stop there, OK for lunch though. Farmer's bridge flight is fascinating as ever!

By the way, we have never had any trouble on the B&F near birmingham, except one time at one of the Minworth locks when mummy and daddy goose with their babies (I think, or was it swans?) made life very difficult for us at a lock and Jeff, who had jumped off the boat, had to take life in hands to walk round them whilst they hissed and flapped away. We have had the odd thing on the prop, so stay in channel centre when possible. If you encounter kids, the best policy seems to be to engage with them and they will usually show an interest and be no problem. Nobody likes to be ignored, so if you do that you may get an adverse reaction.

Edited by nicknorman

I would also say don't moor much more south than Curdworth, the visitors moorings are, as said, quiet but the high banks and trees take away a lot of light. When we passed two weeks ago, we were the only boat moored there.

I saw that south of Curdworth bridge some new (to us) piling was placed, that could also be useful for mooring I guess.

Curdworth has a small shop and PO within walking distance, go up Curdworth bridge, cross the road and continue a couple of hundreds of yards, the shop is on the left.

Here is an impression of the cutting south of the tunnel, the bollards are for waiting for the one-way tunnel.

IMG_5273.jpg

Oh and Minworth Locks need an anti-vandal key

Helen

Edited by hvdb

If you must / need to moor a bit nearer to the centre, then it is said that Star City has some attraction - secure mooring and lots of fast food. Somewhat noisy....

There's what looks like a very pleasant mooring - towards the bottom of the flight, on the opposite side from the towpath in a new development, bollards and brick paving. There were good reports on this forum about a year ago. Looked very nice when we passed by last season. Almost as good as the moorings in the centre.

Dog & Doublet for me !

It's a busy day tho from there into Brum & usually makes folks realise that Birmingham is actually a a hill ! (Not so noticeable by car!)

We've done the run in from the D&D twice , one busy day ending at the NIA , & another slightly longer heading to the Black Country Museum (During which the OH said 'I've had enough , lets moor , where are we ? " reply "Winson Green" - "Oh lets carry on a while then !")

Both Times we were told of problems of youths draining pounds on the Aston flight the day before we arrived - Not sure if this is still a regular occurance.