'The Classic' , who makes.

captain death

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've got a 'The Classic' Stove in my boatman cabin.

I think it's quite old (70's) or not? Does anyone have any information on these? Manufacturer,

It's big, and heavy and is surplus to my requirements, what's it worth? (in the middle of summer? ;-) )

21052012347.jpg

Should this be moved to the For Sale & Wanted section? :)

Well, i thought about that, but i'm not quite sure it's for sale, I just wanted to know more about it, who made it, etc etc. Curiosity more than anything, rather than gold digging or infact asset stripping.

I believe, (unless corrected!), "The Classic" is actually the same stove as "The Epping", just with a different name on. Not sure when the name changed, but a "Classic" I think will generally be older than an "Epping" badged one. (Again happy to be corrected, if that's not how it worked!).

It may surprise you to know that the list price of "The Epping" at Midland Chandlers is a somewhat staggering £940.

Of course most intending purchasers would choose to get involved in one of MC's discounts, and not pay that much.

They are, of course, a cast iron stove, and as such can end up with cracks in them, which are very pricey to repair. You would need to be confident yours was 100% sound before trying to get serious money for it - there are a lot of slightly damaged ones about, making them a risky second-hand purchase for many people.

EDITED TO ADD:

The Epping can actually easily be found on sale at more like £780, so that Midland Chandler's price seems over the top.......

Edited by alan_fincher

I believe, (unless corrected!), "The Classic" is actually the same stove as "The Epping", just with a different name on. Not sure when the name changed, but a "Classic" I think will generally be older than an "Epping" badged one. (Again happy to be corrected, if that's not how it worked!).

It may surprise you to know that the list price of "The Epping" at Midland Chandlers is a somewhat staggering £940.

Of course most intending purchasers would choose to get involved in one of MC's discounts, and not pay that much.

They are, of course, a cast iron stove, and as such can end up with cracks in them, which are very pricey to repair. You would need to be confident yours was 100% sound before trying to get serious money for it - there are a lot of slightly damaged ones about, making them a risky second-hand purchase for many people.

EDITED TO ADD:

The Epping can actually easily be found on sale at more like £780, so that Midland Chandler's price seems over the top.......

Alan, thanks for the info! the mystery is unfolding. even at £780 that's insane? Where do i look for cracks, I don't think this things ever been fired up? :-).

exactly the same as my Epping, without the ash door shelf.

the ones being cast now are wafer thin, and generally crap, how much do they save on a few of pounds of cast iron ?

We need to get a pukka old range like this and copy up some patterns, (change to a sealed door), and get them cast in India.

range2.jpg

I've been given a Classic with lots and lots of broken bits. (Not extra broken bits you understand, these are the bits like doors, front panel etc that are essential to use the thing!) I have a small forge in which I have cast brass. I'm trying to decide whether it will get hot enough (c1600°C ) to cast iron. I think thats a job for next winter though. Too much sun at the mo.

Mike

I'd like to come and see yours maybe, captain death as the flue is missing from mine and I have no idea what it should look like, and I don't live too far from you.

Edited by NBMike

exactly the same as my Epping, without the ash door shelf.

the ones being cast now are wafer thin, and generally crap, how much do they save on a few of pounds of cast iron ?

We need to get a pukka old range like this and copy up some patterns, (change to a sealed door), and get them cast in India.

range2.jpg

Now then that sounds interesting.

I've been given a Classic with lots and lots of broken bits. (Not extra broken bits you understand, these are the bits like doors, front panel etc that are essential to use the thing!) I have a small forge in which I have cast brass. I'm trying to decide whether it will get hot enough (c1600°C ) to cast iron. I think thats a job for next winter though. Too much sun at the mo.

Mike

I'd like to come and see yours maybe, captain death as the flue is missing from mine and I have no idea what it should look like, and I don't live too far from you.

Brenmarl will sell you spare parts for your Classic / Epping.

Edited by David Mack

£780 + VAT = £936 at Chandlery Direct. Or have you found £780 inc VAT?

Wilton (Canal Shop Online) shows £779.95, and I think prices include VAT......

HOWEVER, there does seem to be something horribly wrong with that site in my browser, because as I click on the boxes underneath for replacement grate or replacement smokebox, it seems to discount the price of the range further until I go back and click on it again! :blink::wacko:

Brenmarl will sell you spare parts for your Classic / Epping.

They ain't cheap, though!

Yes I checked Midland and the parts I need come to over £400. I quite fancy the idea of casting my own bits though.

Mike

That Beetonette looks very nice though. Is it a similar size to epping/Classic?

ETA Just found one for sale. 17"d x 33"w x 44h" Its a good bit bigger. Maybe we can get those Indian Forgers to reduce the size for a back cabin. Maybe call it a Beetonetteette

Edited by NBMike