Ocean Lock Goole

Grebe

Featured Posts

OK I know the obvious answer, the dock but where's the evidence.

I've spent some time recently walking through the docks and after I had watched Battlestone and Heather Rose depart, one of the lock keepers showed me how much turbulence there was in the lock floor when he refilled it. It really got a 'boil' on. (I would post a picture but can't figure out how to do it. Answers by Private Message please). Now I'm fine with under-floor filling but where is the water drawn off? Certainly not near the lock entrance because there were no eddies, elsewhere in the dock? The water towers are not involved as they are drinking supply infrastucture.

Am I also correct to think that Southfield reservoir is the compensation supply for locking? The A&C doesn't need it because it is river-fed and we are on the bottom pound at Goole.

The obvious answer!

However, first off don't think that just because the lock gets a bit wild when filling that you would necessarily see whirlpools and eddies etc where the water is being drawn from: the two situations are very different and depend upon the size and shape of the culvert, where it's outlet and inlet are, the shape and condition of the lock floor etc. On a typical narrow lock the water is drawn via a culvert that usually has it's intake above water level in the lock, and in a channel that has been funnelled down to 7 feet. The biggest whirlpool I've ever seen was on the Montgomery using one of those elaborate paddles that has the intake in the floor of the canal, yet a relatively small fall into the lock (8 feet drop) and just normal filling turbulence in the lock itself. At the other extreme Stoke on Trent (Etruria) bottom lock gets quite a chop in the lock with very little draw outside because the lock chamber is a bit square having been built in concrete in the 1970's

The southern most top gate is in effect on a peninsula, so perhaps the culvert runs through the peninsular and the intake is not obvious anyway.

Whether the docks have a reservoir or just an agreed feed down the A&C I don't know...

I believe that the Southfield reservoir a little further upstream helps to maintain the canal levels.

Ocean lock does use a lot of water and even at half speed is an interesting ride. At full chat going up into the docks if they are busy with commercials you need to be on your toes to keep the boat pointing in the right direction. Good fun though :cheers:

OK I know the obvious answer, the dock but where's the evidence.

I've spent some time recently walking through the docks and after I had watched Battlestone and Heather Rose depart, one of the lock keepers showed me how much turbulence there was in the lock floor when he refilled it. It really got a 'boil' on. (I would post a picture but can't figure out how to do it. Answers by Private Message please). Now I'm fine with under-floor filling but where is the water drawn off? Certainly not near the lock entrance because there were no eddies, elsewhere in the dock? The water towers are not involved as they are drinking supply infrastucture.

Am I also correct to think that Southfield reservoir is the compensation supply for locking? The A&C doesn't need it because it is river-fed and we are on the bottom pound at Goole.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38816&view=findpost&p=703356

I'm not sure, and I can't quite remember where the sluices are on Ocean lock, but I think they are off to the South side, and there is a inlet next to the lock bull nose if you look on the maps/aerial photographs which may be the feed into it.

As others have mentioned the Southfield Res. provides extra water area to reduce dropping the levels in the pound when the lock is heavily used around tide time. The water is both from the River Aire (at Ferrybridge)and the River Don at Doncaster.

Cheers,

Mike

Do they ever use the other locks at Goole? On Google Earth it looks like one of them has been taken out of use

They still use one of the other locks occasionally.

Our friends moor in Goole and have been instructed to use the other lock before presumably because Ocean Lock was out of use.

Seems there have been many locks in and out of Goole in the past.

2. Ship Lock, 1826 - one of the original locks when the port as opened. This was filled in during the 1960's
  3. Barge Lock, 1826 - another of the original locks. This was filled in during the 1960's
  4. Ouse Lock, 1838 - Built to connect the Ouse Dock to the river
  5. Victoria Lock, 1888 - This lock was built to cope with the larger vessels using the port
  6. Ocean Lock, 1938 - The largest lock in the docks. The lock gates were recently replaced and constructed several metres higher, to cope with anticipated rises in the sea level.

Just had a gander at Google Earth and there are some recent photos of boats using Victoria Lock.

Ouse Lock does appear to have a set of gates missing however :blink:

Thanks to all for the information so far.

Martin thanks for the link to the tutorial.

No problem

Martin, you highlighted all the bit in red, did you not read it?

Well yes - but I guessed it wasn't meant literally - after all we are not talking important state secrets or any thing - are we? :rolleyes:

I dislike this lock as there is no assistance with ropes from the staff. You are expected to climb up the long ladders yourself or float free as there are no slide wires etc.

There is really no need to tie up in there. The lock is so big that the easiest method by far is to just sit in the middle and stem the flow of water. The lockies are very good and if there is no commercial traffic waiting will let you up nice and gently. Going down isnt such a problem.

There is really no need to tie up in there. The lock is so big that the easiest method by far is to just sit in the middle and stem the flow of water. The lockies are very good and if there is no commercial traffic waiting will let you up nice and gently. Going down isnt such a problem.

The lock is also, I believe, run by ABP and not BW. ABP are a port operator not a marina. Their principal job is handling ships and they will take the attitude "This is how we work the lock, we expect you to cope with it". The entire waterways system used to work on this basis (Phylis, I'm supplementing your comment here not arguing with you).

Goole is a viable commercial port that has to handle shipping

med_gallery_11540_784_12711.jpg2711.jpg

Looking at this picture, it looks like the paddle (or "type" I think they call them) is on the right hand side of the lock and has been lifted very quickly. It is also a very large culvert, but then it is a very large lock

The lock is also, I believe, run by ABP and not BW. ABP are a port operator not a marina. Their principal job is handling ships and they will take the attitude "This is how we work the lock, we expect you to cope with it". The entire waterways system used to work on this basis (Phylis, I'm supplementing your comment here not arguing with you).

Goole is a viable commercial port that has to handle shipping

med_gallery_11540_784_12711.jpg2711.jpg

Looking at this picture, it looks like the paddle (or "type" I think they call them) is on the right hand side of the lock and has been lifted very quickly. It is also a very large culvert, but then it is a very large lock

Looks like that was a full speed turn around there. Only had that once and its an experience not to be missed :cheers:

Here I am saying thanks again for the input and the help.

Magpie Patrick thanks for picking my picture from the gallery and putting it in the thread. I tried doing it from the gallery and from photobucket and got an arror message '..cannot use this extension on this board...' and gave up to try gain another day.

p.s. I asked for PMs about how to post images so that a long expaination would not clog the thread up. Martin suceeded in this by posting a reply including a link to help elsewhere.

Regards to all

Mal

Ocean Lock opened in July 1938, and I think there is an article on its construction in the Transactions of the Institution of Civil Engineers of the time. Back in the 1970s, I took 'Chocolate' Charlie Atkins for a visit to the A&CN. At Ocean Lock, a boat was just entering the docks from the river. Charlie carefully watched the lock operation, commenting to me that it was faster than the Shroppie! The day after our return, he then recalled the visit, explaining all the problems he would have had to cope with in taking a boat on the navigation, mostly things I had not seen or noticed specifically. It brought home to me how boating looks simple, but is much more of a skill when done properly.

Ocean Lock opened in July 1938, and I think there is an article on its construction in the Transactions of the Institution of Civil Engineers of the time. Back in the 1970s, I took 'Chocolate' Charlie Atkins for a visit to the A&CN. At Ocean Lock, a boat was just entering the docks from the river. Charlie carefully watched the lock operation, commenting to me that it was faster than the Shroppie! The day after our return, he then recalled the visit, explaining all the problems he would have had to cope with in taking a boat on the navigation, mostly things I had not seen or noticed specifically. It brought home to me how boating looks simple, but is much more of a skill when done properly.

Can you think of any examples of what he would have found difficult?

The A&C is one of the navigations we find the easiest to use. :blink:

Can you think of any examples of what he would have found difficult?

The A&C is one of the navigations we find the easiest to use. :blink:

That's cause you're bobbing around on the surface in a boat which doesn't draw a significant amount. However, he did recognise places where wind would have been a problem, as well as where water flows entered the canal as a hazard, both things which you should be aware of.

That's cause you're bobbing around on the surface in a boat which doesn't draw a significant amount. However, he did recognise places where wind would have been a problem, as well as where water flows entered the canal as a hazard, both things which you should be aware of.

He presumably also noticed the sharp blind bends, and turbulence left after emptying locks that you would also need to be aware of with smaller boats.

Mike

Our boat is suprisingly deep drafted for her size, 3ft when lightly loaded and often much more if we are loaded up to go on holiday.

The A&c has plenty of wide open reaches where wind can be quite strong but it doesnt cause any particular problem, certainly no more than any other river naviation we use. Water entering the canal should pose a massive problem to anyone either, the navigation is wide enough that you can easily avoid the effects of water entering from by washes and outfalls.

The A&C has to be one of the most user friendly navigations around.

Our boat is suprisingly deep drafted for her size, 3ft when lightly loaded and often much more if we are loaded up to go on holiday.

The A&c has plenty of wide open reaches where wind can be quite strong but it doesnt cause any particular problem, certainly no more than any other river naviation we use. Water entering the canal should pose a massive problem to anyone either, the navigation is wide enough that you can easily avoid the effects of water entering from by washes and outfalls.

The A&C has to be one of the most user friendly navigations around.

Now try the same with a 140 foot x 18 foot unloaded barge...

Mike

BTW - The keel might reach 3 foot, but I suspect the average depth of your boat is somewhat less.