Trent and Mersey/Shropshire/Staff and Worc

Midnight Lady

Featured Posts

Hi

The migration south continues soon. The boat is currently lodged at Preston Brook (temporarily) and will be heading (I currently think) for Evesham.

Does anyone have any recommendations for overnight places to stop - ideally with a pub or something nice to see or do?

Any advice welcome!

ML

Hi

The migration south continues soon. The boat is currently lodged at Preston Brook (temporarily) and will be heading (I currently think) for Evesham.

Does anyone have any recommendations for overnight places to stop - ideally with a pub or something nice to see or do?

Any advice welcome!

ML

Kinver on the S&W: pubs and cave houses and more? More here

The Anchor on the Shroppie is highly recommended (by me). It's a very small friendly boaters pub. It's at bridge 42 (or is it 43?)

There are other pubs available.

Edited by Dr Bradley

Done this trip a few times over the years. Our favourite spots tend to be pub/food/moorings wise :-

Stanley at Anderton for the steak & kidney pie and beer is okish or a bit further on the Salt Barge where the beer is better and the food okish. Not much then till Middlewich where we tend to have a few scoops around town and then fish & chips from the fish shop facing the Kings Lock.

Again then nowt till Barbridge (i am presuming this is your route going off your title) where there is the Jolly Tar which is ok for beer and reasonably priced snap and the Barbridge pub which, i believe from this forum, has changed hand and brewery of late, so hopefully a big improvement from my last visit, or, you could plod on to Nantwich, moor on the embankment and walk(15min ish) into town.

Audlem is ok. Three pubs pretty much of a muchness but you can get some grub and a descent pint in all three.

Mkt Drayton. We usually moor some where near Br62 and go in the Talbot. Good choice of beer and food has always been good. Mkt Drayton, on the one occasion we walked in, struck me as a one horse towm the day after the horse had died.

As the good Doc said the Anchor is worth a visit just for the ambiance, doesn't do food and i'm not keen on the ale. Flat 6X topped up out of a plastic jug on my visit. Junction at Norbury is okish food and beer wise.

Weaton Aston we like the pub right at side of the canal. Can't remember the name, Banks's pub iirc but don't let that put you off. They had some guests on which were good and the food was very good.

Brewood is a nice village with a few pubs doing food so worth a stop for a mooch.

Compton on the S&W again is ok. We usually have a couple of scoops in the Oddfellows and the Swan and get a Chinese take out from the Chinese facing the Oddfellows.

Swindon is good. Couple of pubs for a drink and a fish shop up the hill which does the best fish and chips outside the north.

Kinver ok as mentioned before and after that i am struggling to think where we moored.

There are plenty of other pubs on your way and i am sure other can fill in. Good trip from what i remember. As you can tell i like a drink. Hic.

Edited by Rod a mod from Tod

Another vote for The Anchor at High Offley from us! We like to stop at Brewood too. A nice little place to visit but we often moor on the embankment a little further along out of the village.

The Navigation at Gnosall are very friendly, accomodating and keep a decent pint!

In Audlem the Shroppie Fly is the pub with the most atmosphere but The Bridge does great food at value prices. We are currently heading up the Shroppie so if I can add any more in the next few days I will do so

PENKRIDGE on the staff/worcester. JASPER'S the bakery sell nice bread and cakes. plenty of pubs incuding the BOAT ? which is right on the canal.

Penkridge is the wrong direction on the Staffs & Worc's if they are heading to Evesham but yes - Penkridge is a great place and The Cross Keys there is a great pub!

The Lock at Wolverley on the S&W is good.

Are you going down the Severn to Tewkesbury, then up the Avon? If so then keep an eye on the Severn level Here.

I might see if I can do a similar page for the Avon :rolleyes:

Thank you - that's exactly what I need!

If any of you see me in my increasingly scruffy boat (I will paint her in Evesham but not before and I can't afford a new cratch cover until at least next year but I have got blue duct tape which is nearly as good)please wave.

ML

Another vote for The Anchor at High Offley from us! We like to stop at Brewood too. A nice little place to visit but we often moor on the embankment a little further along out of the village.

The Navigation at Gnosall are very friendly, accomodating and keep a decent pint!

In Audlem the Shroppie Fly is the pub with the most atmosphere but The Bridge does great food at value prices. We are currently heading up the Shroppie so if I can add any more in the next few days I will do so

Penkridge is the wrong direction on the Staffs & Worc's if they are heading to Evesham but yes - Penkridge is a great place and The Cross Keys there is a great pub!

not if the o.p. takes the staff/worcester route.

If your taking the Severn route , then the pub just down on the left after you lock down onto the river (The Angel ????)

We were made so welcome by the locals there (In fact one of the best welcomes we have ever had !)

I think its the Angel - Its a short walk downstream to the left of the moorings below the Stourport staircase locks

Flat 6X topped up out of a plastic jug on my visi

Just how 6X should be served. Just because the beer doesn't have an inch of expensive froth on the top doesn't mean it is flat.

Just how 6X should be served. Just because the beer doesn't have an inch of expensive froth on the top doesn't mean it is flat.

It did on this occassion probably due to being stood in the plastic jug for some time.

Head/froth does not relate to beer condition, although the head will quickly dissapear from a beer served before it is ready. Unusually for a northerner i am not to precious about having a head on my beer.

Edited by Rod a mod from Tod

Another vote for the Anchor at High Offley from me, one of my all time favourite pubs. The Salt Barge at Marston on the T&M is reasonable these days. Also on the Middlewich Branch there is no longer a drought as the Verdin Arms & the Badger at Church Minshull have both reopened (though I haven't had a chance to try them yet). Audlem is a good place to stop with good local shops & pubs.

Last weekend we walked up the hill into Cookley - if you are coming from the North, go through the tunnel and then moor up before the lock. There are two pubs, a curry house, chip shop and a Tesco Express - also one or two 'local shops'

not if the o.p. takes the staff/worcester route.

That would be correct if the OP was planning to do the Trent & Mersey down to Great Haywood and joining The Staffs & Worcs there but as The Shroppie was menioned in the title I had presumed (perhaps wrongly) that the plan was to do The Shroppie and turn right onto The Staffs & Worcs at Autherley.

The pubs in Swindon are dreadful and I thought the fish and chips very overrated. I wouldn't bother stopping there again.

Buns from Jaspers in Penkridge are a must. Also a good market on Saturdays (and one weekday but I forget which)

If you stop in Brewood, the best pub is the Swan, in the town centre (five minutes from the canal), but it doesn't do food.

Kinver has a Bathams pub which is apparently very sought after by those in the know but I found it unfriendly and the beer too sweet for my liking. Apparently it grows on you. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

The best pub in Stourport is the Hollybush. A bit off the beaten track. I'm hopeless at directions but ask a local, it's worth it.

A round-up of pubs between Droitwich and Brewood (some of which is relevant) here.

I'm presuming from Preston Brook you'll be doing the T&M to Middlewich, then onto the Middlewich Branch - If so moor up after 1st lock on the Branch and walk back towards Kings Lock and go to the Fish & Chippy opposite the pub.

Next best port of call is the Shroppie Fly at Audlum - a pub full of character. Also a useful co-op in Audlum.

At the top of Adderley Locks there is a great farm shop - well work a visit.

The Anchor at High Offerly is worth a visit - just for the experience - but don't expect to get food or fancy drinks there :rolleyes:

Best reason to stop at Wheaton Aston - is VERY cheap diesel.

Once onto the Staffs & Worcs - if you turn right from Autherley Junction, then Kinver is the next best place to stop.

If you turn left (and given your destination I think this would be a big detour), the first stop would be the pub at Coven by the canal, and then stop at Penkeridge for the best bakery - Jaspers.

That would be correct if the OP was planning to do the Trent & Mersey down to Great Haywood and joining The Staffs & Worcs there but as The Shroppie was menioned in the title I had presumed (perhaps wrongly) that the plan was to do The Shroppie and turn right onto The Staffs & Worcs at Autherley.

fairy nuff

Once onto the Staffs & Worcs - if you turn right from Autherley Junction, then Kinver is the next best place to stop.

Nowt wrong with Compton, Wightwick & Swindon --- to name a few.

ETA --- oh & hello Midnight Lady, from a Midnight Rider.

Edited by Midnight Rider

Nowt wrong with Compton, Wightwick & Swindon --- to name a few.

ETA --- oh & hello Midnight Lady, from a Midnight Rider.

Agreed, I like Swindon. Went to one of the pubs at tea time (as you do) and the land lord brought round bread and butter pudding for everyone!

Also it was a nice quiet mooring spot.

Agreed, I like Swindon. Went to one of the pubs at tea time (as you do) and the land lord brought round bread and butter pudding for everyone!

Also it was a nice quiet mooring spot.

Blimey, which pub did you go in? We went in the Old Bush and the Green Man last month and both were utterly grim.

The Anchor at Caunsall is very good though. Follow the footpath from bridge 24. They do outstanding cobs and very cheap too.

Blimey, which pub did you go in? We went in the Old Bush and the Green Man last month and both were utterly grim.

It was four years ago! It was on the west of the canal.

We'll be up that way again in July. Sadly pubs do change hands or go bust so quickly now ...

I'm curious - on what basis does someone say that xyz is the best pub in town, then in the next breath say it doesn't do meals. If I want to eat, then clearly xyz is not the best pub for me, so why is it the best in your opinion? Qualify your opinions with reasons guys, then the OP can make a reasoned choice

I'm curious - on what basis does someone say that xyz is the best pub in town, then in the next breath say it doesn't do meals. If I want to eat, then clearly xyz is not the best pub for me, so why is it the best in your opinion? Qualify your opinions with reasons guys, then the OP can make a reasoned choice

I don't know how old you are Homer, but when I was a young chap on the canals, a pub was somewhere where you went for a drink. If you could get a pickled egg or a packet of crisps it was a bonus ---- & a sandwich, you were really lucky.

OK most pubs do food now, but not all of them do food lunch & evening, 7 days a week ----- doesn't make them bad pubs though & a 'pub' was what the OP asked for.