Switch for Shower waste pump

Featured Posts

I'm currently fitting out the bathroom of my sailaway.

I need to fit a switch for the shower waste pump.

Can I use a normal light switch or does it have to be a pull cord? Or is there something else to consider?

Thanks

Ian

I just used a double light switch, one for the light, the second for the gulper pump, if you've fitted an impeller type pump you may be better fitting a pushbutton type switch as its not ideal to run those pumps dry.

I used a standard pull cord but via a 30amp relay just to prevent the arc got with DC in switch contacts.

We used a standard 12v light switch from Midland Chandlers, but it's not in the shower enclosure itself. We have a bath and tend to empty it after using the shower rather than running the pump constantly. This incidentally is another good reason for having a bath rather than a shower tray even if you are never going to sit in it.

If it is in the enclosure itself, you can get waterproof (rubber-enclosed) toggle switches - I've seen them on other boats.

Edited by Chertsey

Ours is a standard domestic light switch. When we got the boat it was a spring loaded one you had to hold to operate the pump, good for not leaving it on to run dry, it wife found it a pita, as you were stuck there for a few mins while the bath emptied. As instructed I swapped it rolleyes.gif. I understand the potential arcing issues, but seems OK so far.

Standard 12V toggle switch, mounted on the side panel of the sit-bath. As Chertsey says, easy to just run it after your shower. Mine did have a rubber "waterproof" cover, but it has come off.