Weather Protection for trad stern

John K

Featured Posts

Recently purchased a boat with Trad stern. My thoughts difted towards weather protection ( 50% of body is already protected).

Having had cruiser stern previous, a brolly was all that could be used. Not keen on the small fabric canopies that are around. I was wondering if an aircraft style canopy would work.

Imagine a fighter aircraft with the bubble perspex canopy over. I think, given the dimensions of the boat, it would be easy... ish to manufacture.

Any other ideas

JK

Wilson's boat covers do one that just fits over the stern deck of a trad style enough to cover the steerer. It folds forward very quickly if headroom is low. I have seen them in use on trad style boats and they look fine with no restriction to vision since they are made from a clear plastic type material. Sadly their site is still under construction so one is not shown.

Their site is Here

Hi Bernie,

I was thinking more of a solid molded cover similar to an aircraft cockpit. It would give all round vision and be low enough for most bridges. I will try and find a link to an aircraft and add it, will give you some idea of what I'm thinking of. ( That also assumes I can suss out how to post a link!!!)

Thick, waterproof top coat, wooly hat and wooly gloves do it for me on our semi-trad as long as I'm not out too long and can persuade the OCM to take her turn...... To complete this most becoming ensemble, how about a balaclava as well?

I did see somebody with a trad who had mounted a short tube - about 1' - on the roof close to the slide. This held a brolly. It had the advantage of keeping both hands free for other things - tea drinking - and, if you fitted a swivel in the brolly handle, could provide extra power in the right wind conditions......

Am sorry to have to say this, but you bought the wrong boat.

- what you need is more of a dutch barge kind of shape, and a steam engine, just to keep it nice and warm and toasty!

Emily%20Anne%20037.jpg

daniel

Edited by dhutch

Beautiful boat, cant help but notice the JCB in the back ground.  I wonder if that cab is detachable? 

That would fit wouldn't it???

Its a possabilty, and for £100 i bet theyed let you take the whole thing again, once they've finshed of the bank.

lol

I always just wrap up warm in the hatchway with the back doors shut.

Water does of course end up dripping inside the hatch and so that got me thinking of a sort of spray-deck - like you get on canoes/kayaks.

I will try it one day using one of those flappy yellow macs worn by cyclists - it will need some elastic or a drawstring part way down which will then fit round the hatchway.

This doesn't keep your face dry, but I'm not that much of a fair-weather boater!

Yes a Poncho and an added refinement;

A steel pole hinged to the cabin roof with a dustbin lid fixed to that.  Should look quite stylish.

John Squeers

picking up on an earlier thread,anyone know where i can get some really small winscreen wipers to keep my specs clean ????

alan

Gettng that sitestaff.gif status has just gone to his head.

Would the dustbin lid double as a sail in fine weather?

Congratulations John on the promotion! Only trouble is I was relying on you to be the first to get 5 green blobs so I would know how hard I have to work........

Hi Paul.

Wasn't thinking in terms of a sail, but I am sure like me you have seen that fantastic film 'The Time Machine' a few times. It's comming up to christmas so it is sure to be shown again in the next couple of weeks. The machine had a simillar dustbin lid type thing on the back with a lot of mystic symbols painted on it, I could manage that and a morse control lever at the front calibrated in years.

Well you never know it might work, I keep thinking of those young blonde females frolicing in the river. Mind you those Worlocks are nasty pieces of work, I'll have to watch out for them.

John Squeers

• 6 months later...
What did you buy a boat for if you want to stay indoors if it rains, get a hat !

24439[/snapback]

You must be getting really bored Onion if you are having to trawl through seven month old postings to give your grumpy genes an outing.